Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:45 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
Maybe we should keep each other up to date with where the cameras are then?
My father in law got a speeding ticket going downhill on his bicycle and he is an ex policeman! Points mean prizes as my OH would say!Oh and I agre with Anna kids and pedestrians are equally as responsible for making sure they are safe to cross as they only have to look left right and left again whereas car drivers have a variety of manovers and things to look out for as well as driving a car they have to have eyes everywhere too. It's only fair people take responsibility too for teaching road safety to their kids...which I think most people are excellent at anyway!
You don't get many cameras around here, just ar######s with radar guns hiding in bushes and behind poles and walls.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

whereas car drivers have a variety of manovers and things to look out for as well as driving a car they have to have eyes everywhere too. It's only fair people take responsibility too for teaching road safety to their kids...which I think most people are excellent at anyway!
Hmmmmm so let me see a car driver has so many things to look at for.......Ok so its so difficult lets add speeding to the pot to liven it up.

I agree that road safety is big must and lack of pavements here make it even more crucial. But if a child runs out infront of you and you're not speeding, its the child's fault and even though you will feel bad you will know you did what you could to avoid it. If you were speeding it will automatically become your fault, you will feel bad, guilty and have to live with that for the rest of your life especially if you kill them.

I am not a saint and my speedo has been known to go above the speed limit, but if that happened and I got caught I would be angry at myself not the policeman. Do the crime, pay the price.

This thread has just about exhausted itself now.

Last edited by joho; Apr 8th 2007 at 10:38 pm. Reason: Spelling thicko
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:12 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I received 9 points in a 10 day period about three yrs ago. I was furious about them at the time, I believe I vented about them on here quite vocally
Since then I've learned to stick to the speed limit, I'm never really in a rush to get anywhere now, especially work.
Qld Police target speeding heavily, they do it because by far the highest number of fatalities on Qld roads involve speed related accidents. It therefore makes perfect sense to target the worst offenders.
Sure if your caught you can have a good rant about it, I did, then you can either continue to rack up sufficient points for a ban by repeatedly breaking the law or you can get up 10 mins earlier and drive a little bit slower.
The police are only doing a job, they are targeting the law breakers on the roads that statistically cause the most fatalities. We'd pan them if they didn't and we pan them when they do it's a no win situation for them in much the sam way speeding is a no win situation for motorists
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meelie
Yes I got my first speeding ticket whilst driving to work on a Sunday morning at 06.40 am! Thing is, the area I was in was where the speed drops from 90 to 70 km and I was doing 81km which clearly indicates I was reducing speed! How is that fair???? And as usual the sneaky B######s were hiding behind bushes when they got me! Result...............$100 fine and one point! Don't these police have anything better to do? Why don't they get the real speeders and idiot drivers out there? Rant over but still fuming!!!!!!!:curse:
Hiya,

Not that I can say from personally speaking but I read here many months ago that in Qld at least if you right to them and say you're sorry etc etc if it is your first ticket quite often they cancel it and the demirit points. Maybe an urban myth!

S
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:52 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear 10 km over the limit thats sooooooooooo bad! Can't tell me you weren't a bit miffed that you got one though eh!
I was pretty sure I was caught at the time (a couple of weeks ago) so half expected it. Yes I was a bit pissed off at getting a fine but not at anybody but me. Why would I be?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:54 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

They print the locations in the paper here
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:59 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My father in law got a speeding ticket going downhill on his bicycle and he is an ex policeman!
How on earth do you get fined for speeding on a pushbike when a pushbike doesn't have a speedo on it?

Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:07 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

And as usual the sneaky B######s were hiding behind bushes when they got me!
You always get a ***** behind a bush
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:16 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mashy
You always get a ***** behind a bush
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:25 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by fraser
What he said
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:08 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joho
Hmmmmm so let me see a car driver has so many things to look at for.......Ok so its so difficult lets add speeding to the pot to liven it up.

I agree that road safety is big must and lack of pavements here make it even more crucial. But if a child runs out infront of you and you're not speeding, its the child's fault and even though you will feel bad you will know you did what you could to avoid it. If you were speeding it will automatically become your fault, you will feel bad, guilty and have to live with that for the rest of your life especially if you kill them.

I am not a saint and my speedo has been known to go above the speed limit, but if that happened and I got caught I would be angry at myself not the policeman. Do the crime, pay the price.

This thread has just about exhausted itself now.
The point is even if people are not speeding the child still runs out on the road... nobody seems to focus on getting the children to do the safe thing and get them to cross at crossings or teaching them how to cross the road when they aren't at a crossing and lastly where are the parents when they are running out on the road???
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
The point is even if people are not speeding the child still runs out on the road... nobody seems to focus on getting the children to do the safe thing and get them to cross at crossings or teaching them how to cross the road when they aren't at a crossing and lastly where are the parents when they are running out on the road???
No this is not the point, the point is speeding, this is how the thread started and now people are trying to move the blame onto people/children crossing the road. I was replying to someone elses comment about how much the driver has to be aware of and also if you read her thread she says she thinks most people are good at teaching road safety to kids.

I always taught my kids road safety from a very young age and was constantly reinforcing this, but one day my son who was about 8 at the time was very keen to go to a freinds house and asked me if he could and I said yes becareful crossing the road (it was a very quiet road to nowhere road) he ran down our drive and straight into the road without stopping. A car was coming down and from where I was stood I thought oh my god he only just made that and went storming out only to find that he had spotted the car at the last second, stopped and tryed to run back only to get hit by it, if he had kept going he would have been ok. I knew it wasnt the drivers fault and she was in a state and he was also very lucky cause she was only going less than 30, if she had been faster I dont even want to think what could have happened.

Kids will be kids and even with training will still slip up sometimes without thinking. Young kids I agree, where are the parents, but then even they can be escape artists and gone in a second, or wriggled free and shot out before the parent can do anything. Oh and sometimes kids have been hit on a crossing by a speeding driver or most common driver loses control and ploughs into them on a pavement.

Jo
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:48 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Hiya,

Not that I can say from personally speaking but I read here many months ago that in Qld at least if you right to them and say you're sorry etc etc if it is your first ticket quite often they cancel it and the demirit points. Maybe an urban myth!

S
Aww thanks for the tip but I've never heard that and have dutifully paid the fine albeit begrudgingly.:curse:
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:49 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joho
No this is not the point, the point is speeding, this is how the thread started and now people are trying to move the blame onto people/children crossing the road. I was replying to someone elses comment about how much the driver has to be aware of and also if you read her thread she says she thinks most people are good at teaching road safety to kids.

I always taught my kids road safety from a very young age and was constantly reinforcing this, but one day my son who was about 8 at the time was very keen to go to a freinds house and asked me if he could and I said yes becareful crossing the road (it was a very quiet road to nowhere road) he ran down our drive and straight into the road without stopping. A car was coming down and from where I was stood I thought oh my god he only just made that and went storming out only to find that he had spotted the car at the last second, stopped and tryed to run back only to get hit by it, if he had kept going he would have been ok. I knew it wasnt the drivers fault and she was in a state and he was also very lucky cause she was only going less than 30, if she had been faster I dont even want to think what could have happened.

Kids will be kids and even with training will still slip up sometimes without thinking. Young kids I agree, where are the parents, but then even they can be escape artists and gone in a second, or wriggled free and shot out before the parent can do anything. Oh and sometimes kids have been hit on a crossing by a speeding driver or most common driver loses control and ploughs into them on a pavement.

Jo
Threads go all over and don't just stick to the first post... I was talking about the point to do with children... not trying to shift the blame at all, if you speed you do so at your own risk and risk of consequences nobody forced you to do it. But as you say your son ran out despite lots of advice not to, a lot of children now aren't even taught those basics so running out is there norm all I'm saying is as well as hammering the drivers all the time why don't they put as much effort into teaching the kids road safety alongside that. If governments really wanted to cut speeding they could bring in mandatory restriction of car speeds by use of manual or electronic means the same as used to happen to UK trucks (notice trucks here can do same speed as cars) and also make cruise control mandatory on all cars to help keep at regulated speed.... like children motorists have momentary lapses in concentration as well.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Aww thanks for the tip but I've never heard that and have dutifully paid the fine albeit begrudgingly.:curse:
Yep sometimes they do here in NSW but only if you have a clean record I believe. So you have no chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.