Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Old Apr 7th 2007, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Originally Posted by fraser
They have to mark you down to allow for bad calibration
As I said the copper laughed when I asked about 'speedo inaccuracy'.

I think it's common knowledge that you can get away with 80mph on a motorway in the UK and I was always told UK police allow 10% for speedo inaccuracy.

70mph + 10% = 77 (obv) and I guess it's rounded up.

121kph in a 110kph = no 10% allowance for bad calibration in my books! ... ... and the funny thing is I got this ticket almost a year ago, and since then I (and many others) WILL sit at 120kph (or just under) and pass police traps without getting pulled over!

Maybe he was catching up on numbers that day!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
but the point is that the speed limits are limits, not targets, so that you should slow to 70 when approaching the 70 zone so that when you enter it you are driving at a legal speed.
Exactly......
Old Apr 7th 2007, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz

Alot of it is revenue raising. I like cops and think they have a tough job for very little pay/protection, but the speeding fines are generally just money-earners.
BUT if people didnt speed there would be no revenue to raise...

Dont get me wrong, I think they should be concentrating on bad driving habits other than speeding and drink driving and not wearing seat belts, like pulling out in front of others, overtaking then cutting in, tailgating and all the other horrific driving we see on the roads, but the fact remains no speedsters, no revenue...!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 4:25 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
As I said the copper laughed when I asked about 'speedo inaccuracy'.

I think it's common knowledge that you can get away with 80mph on a motorway in the UK and I was always told UK police allow 10% for speedo inaccuracy.

70mph + 10% = 77 (obv) and I guess it's rounded up.

121kph in a 110kph = no 10% allowance for bad calibration in my books! ... ... and the funny thing is I got this ticket almost a year ago, and since then I (and many others) WILL sit at 120kph (or just under) and pass police traps without getting pulled over!

Maybe he was catching up on numbers that day!
i stopped my lead footing by getting a GPS and a Radar detector ,no tickets since .Mind you driving in aussie is as boring as bat s--t and you can guarantee a cop right out the back o'bourke waiting for you ,and i must admit having just spent a few months in the uk i rediscovered my love of driving and 80-100 mph were done on a regular basis .
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:19 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007
Meelie, legally in oz you have something like 200-250 metres to reduce your speed to the limit when it changes.

So if you're traveling along at 90km/h and the speed changes to 70km/h, you had atleast 200 metres within the 70km/h zone, after the sign, to reduce your speed from 90 to 70.

The cops can't ping you in this area.

You don't need to reduce your speed on approach, although people often do.

So in other words, you had atleast 200 metres to reduce your speed. Thats just a matter of taking the foot of the accelerator.

You obviously didn't

You lowered your speed, but not by enough.

If, for some reason, the cop pulled you over in the first 200 metres of the change of speed zone, the ticket is not valid and you have grounds to fight it. The judge would throw this out of court and call the cop a knob for wasting everyones times.

I highly doubt this occured though, as the cops usually have these spots well worked out.
You got any links to this information? I've never heard of this. It would make a mockery of the speed limit signs surely? "Ok, here's a change to the speed limit, but you don't have to worry about it just yet. As you were".
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:20 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie

Dont get me wrong, I think they should be concentrating on bad driving habits other than speeding and drink driving and not wearing seat belts, like pulling out in front of others, overtaking then cutting in, tailgating and all the other horrific driving we see on the roads, but the fact remains no speedsters, no revenue...!
How true.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:03 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Exactly right Bridie, and yes the quality of driving here is appalling, and it's not just because Im from UK that I say this, many aussies from other areas agree that Queenslanders are terrible drivers too. But the drink driving and seat belt issues do need to be addressed as well. And yes speeding is wrong, what I was moaning about is the pettiness of it and sneakiness that these police resort to. I wasn't driving dangerously, I was reducing my speed, just not fast enough for the police, oh and yes it was down a sloping road too. I tend to stick to the speed limit in built up areas or a couple of kms and I mean a couple of kms above it when on a motorway/freeway.
Anyway if it makes everyone feel better I have learnt from it, I shall be more alert for the B######s!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:32 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meelie
Exactly right Bridie, and yes the quality of driving here is appalling, and it's not just because Im from UK that I say this, many aussies from other areas agree that Queenslanders are terrible drivers too. But the drink driving and seat belt issues do need to be addressed as well. And yes speeding is wrong, what I was moaning about is the pettiness of it and sneakiness that these police resort to. I wasn't driving dangerously, I was reducing my speed, just not fast enough for the police, oh and yes it was down a sloping road too. I tend to stick to the speed limit in built up areas or a couple of kms and I mean a couple of kms above it when on a motorway/freeway.
Anyway if it makes everyone feel better I have learnt from it, I shall be more alert for the B######s!
You were driving dangerously ...you were speeding FFS !! That is what the law is there for !

Can't you control your car down sloping roads ???!!!

I don't care whether you were just a bit over (which you weren't ...you were 11kms an hour over)...you broke the law, you got a ticket - get over it.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:03 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by wmoore
I've never been caught speeding here...
Well I spoke too bloody soon there didn't I? Went to my PO Box today and found an infringement notice for doing 70kmh in a 60 zone. Bugger.

Of course I'm going to write to John Howard and explain that it wasn't my fault because the speed limits are all wrong, coppers are sneaky b*****ds and the moon was out of alignment with Uranus on that particular day.

Or maybe I'll just STFU and pay for my mistake .....
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:47 pm
Run dont walk

Tich is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

On a light hearted note....
My friend was pulled up for speeding,when asked "why" she was "speeding" she said she was late for work, the policeman asked her what her job was and why the need for her to speed!!! she told him that she was an "arse hole stretcher" bewildered the policeman asked her what she meant, so she said i'm an arse hole stretcher...i first insert 2 fingers then 4 fingers until i can get one hand fully into the arse hole, then i insert my other hand and stretch the arse hole so it's about 2 meters wide... the police man asked what the hell do you do with a 2 meter arse hole!!!! i give him a radar gun and tell him to hide behind bushes.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

carmil will become famous soon enoughcarmil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tich
On a light hearted note....
My friend was pulled up for speeding,when asked "why" she was "speeding" she said she was late for work, the policeman asked her what her job was and why the need for her to speed!!! she told him that she was an "arse hole stretcher" bewildered the policeman asked her what she meant, so she said i'm an arse hole stretcher...i first insert 2 fingers then 4 fingers until i can get one hand fully into the arse hole, then i insert my other hand and stretch the arse hole so it's about 2 meters wide... the police man asked what the hell do you do with a 2 meter arse hole!!!! i give him a radar gun and tell him to hide behind bushes.

Oi, stop stealing my joke, I already told it on page 4 !!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:59 pm
Run dont walk

Tich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carmil
Oi, stop stealing my joke, I already told it on page 4 !!
Soz That'll teach me ...read the full thread b4 opening my mouth....then again i usaly only open my mouth to change my feet
Old Apr 8th 2007, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

carmil will become famous soon enoughcarmil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tich
Soz That'll teach me ...read the full thread b4 opening my mouth....then again i usaly only open my mouth to change my feet
Hey, just glad someone else share's my sense of humour. Like you, just thought it might lighten up the mood a bit, oops, guess not
Old Apr 8th 2007, 2:32 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should keep each other up to date with where the cameras are then?
My father in law got a speeding ticket going downhill on his bicycle and he is an ex policeman! Points mean prizes as my OH would say!Oh and I agre with Anna kids and pedestrians are equally as responsible for making sure they are safe to cross as they only have to look left right and left again whereas car drivers have a variety of manovers and things to look out for as well as driving a car they have to have eyes everywhere too. It's only fair people take responsibility too for teaching road safety to their kids...which I think most people are excellent at anyway!

Last edited by OzzieNurse; Apr 8th 2007 at 2:34 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:43 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Well I spoke too bloody soon there didn't I? Went to my PO Box today and found an infringement notice for doing 70kmh in a 60 zone. Bugger.

Of course I'm going to write to John Howard and explain that it wasn't my fault because the speed limits are all wrong, coppers are sneaky b*****ds and the moon was out of alignment with Uranus on that particular day.

Or maybe I'll just STFU and pay for my mistake .....
Oh dear 10 km over the limit thats sooooooooooo bad! Can't tell me you weren't a bit miffed that you got one though eh!

And of course CasG I take it you have NEVER broken the speed limit!!!! Oh you are such a saint!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.