Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:38 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Originally Posted by moneypen20
OK so if we go by the comments of folk on here that it's just a money grabbing exercise and not a safety measure why play into their hands and hand over your money. Why not just slow down so they can't zap you, it's not rocket science. Sometimes if signs are not obvious and you're on roads you don't know there may be a vague reason for moaning about it but most appear to be on roads you use regularly and so know it happens. I honestly don't get it. Just because you don't agree with the law doesn't change anything
Actually the place where they were hiding was not the usual spot so rocket science didn't come into it that day. And the last thing you'd expect on a sunday morning on your way to work is to be zapped by a 6ft Ar$##*1# brandishing a radar gun! It's wrong wrong wrong and i dont care what those of you on your moral highground think!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meelie
Actually the place where they were hiding was not the usual spot so rocket science didn't come into it that day. And the last thing you'd expect on a sunday morning on your way to work is to be zapped by a 6ft Ar$##*1# brandishing a radar gun! It's wrong wrong wrong and i dont care what those of you on your moral highground think!
Not on any moral highground. At the end of the day the only thing I don't understand, not that I care terribly, is why if you break the law, however much of an ass that law is, you would want to get on worldwide discussion board and broadcast the fact but hey, we're all different and do stuff differently I don't speed simply because my hubby used to be firefighter and scraped too many bodies out of wrecks caused by speeding. If you don't see the after effects you don't consider them - human nature.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:54 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I got my first speeding ticket whilst driving to work on a Sunday morning at 06.40 am! Thing is, the area I was in was where the speed drops from 90 to 70 km and I was doing 81km which clearly indicates I was reducing speed! How is that fair???? And as usual the sneaky B######s were hiding behind bushes when they got me! Result...............$100 fine and one point! Don't these police have anything better to do? Why don't they get the real speeders and idiot drivers out there? Rant over but still fuming!!!!!!!:curse:
They don't hide at all, saying that I got my one point across 4 lanes of traffic and a central reservation so technically he wasn't hiding I just wasn't paying attention to the wrong side of the road at 7am on a Sunday when there wasn't anything on my side. Got done for 71 in a 60, can't plead the slowing down thing unfortunately... .
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

NO I was reducing my speed to that of the speed zone I had entered actually! It equates to about 5mph over the limit, big deal! Its all about revenue for the police.

Yes, it is revenue. Because you broke the law. I'm actually surprised that the fine was so little.....QLD is obviously different to Victoria. I got fined 150 bucks 18 yrs ago - for going 7kms over in an area which the day before had been changed from 75 to 60.

I take it that the lesson is learned now. (Sorry - havent read the whole thread, so this may have been addressed.)

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Apr 4th 2007 at 10:01 am. Reason: clarity
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:07 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, this is Australia so I DO expect to be zapped by a gun or pass a speed trap most days I drive, including Sundays. The only difference here is that they dont concrete the camera in the ground, paint it bright orange and give you several camera in use signs before you come to them.

Whether we like it or not, speed limits are there to be obeyed and if you dont then your likely to get a ticket at some point. I've collected a couple since being here and now I'm more aware of the speed limit than ever before.

So throw a tantrum, hold your breath until blue in the face, kick and scream about being caught - but if it were actually wrong then the law would be on your side wouldnt it ?

Its only natural to feel crappy about speeding tickets. But lets be honest, we've only ourselves to blame when any of us get caught. I'm not taking the moral highground, I'm just choosing not to try and defend the moral low ground
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:18 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Why don't they get the real speeders and idiot drivers out there? Rant over but still fuming!!!!!!!:curse:
They did! Speeding is speeding, a crime is a crime, learn from the experience and dont speed, its happened to us all. Believe me the police wouldnt earn a cent from speeding fines if everyone kept to the speed limit. It could be argued that at the time you were caught there couldnt possibly have been a need for you to speed, as the roads must have been quiet and you must have been making good time.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:23 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

If it's not just for the purpose of revenue why is it that these traps always seem to be where there is a change in the speed limit.There for punishing people for a tad of misjudgment or human error rather that the blatant breaking of the law as it would be on a stretch with a constant limit.

Could it be that they'd catch less people, it may be the law but it's there to suit their bank balance, not all laws are fair.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in the UK I was one of the infuriating people who would drive 30mph. My justification (which I didnt need) was that so many times you hear of children being knocked over by someone doing 35 or 40 in a 30 mph zone and the parents up in arms about it, insisting that it needed speed cameras etc etc traffic calming methods (hate them humps) and I could bet you that 90% of those parents themselves do 35-40 in a 30 zone. I was determined not to be one.

Its about choice and you choose to speed you get fined. I choose not to.

Jo
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

And as usual the sneaky B######s were hiding behind bushes when they got me! Result...............$100 fine and one point! Don't these police have anything better to do? Why don't they get the real speeders and idiot drivers out there? Rant over but still fuming!!!!!!!:curse:
I'm unsure of the procedure in Queensland but in Victoria speed cameras are not operated by the police but by technicians from a private company which enables police resources to be used elsewhere. The company operating the cameras receive either a bonus or penalty for the quality of the images not the number.

NO I was reducing my speed to that of the speed zone I had entered actually! It equates to about 5mph over the limit, big deal! Its all about revenue for the police.
I stand to be corrected but I think the revenue from traffic offences normally goes into State Governments' consolidated revenue funds ... not into police coffers.

Its no wonder the police here get BIG discounts at restaurants and other places, its because they make so much money out of us lot.
Its not fair, I'm going off to sulk!!!!!
They get discounts at some places for goodwill purposes, it can be a shitty job dealing with the lowest in the community day in day out, not to mention the danger and stress of the job and IMHO they deserve a great deal more money (as do the other emeregency service employees).
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:28 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's wrong wrong wrong and I dont care what those of you on your moral highground think!
Actually, speeding is wrong. Maybe next time you won't speed?

But I wish that instead of fining you and giving you points they had given you the option of going on a one day training course on the dangers of speeding and the reasons for speed limits.

We have these courses here in the UK now. I have interpreted it three times for deaf people caught speeding. I used to speed as well (but never been caught). Having been on the course three times (albeit as an interpreter), I now no longer speed.

The courses have been around for about 3 years now and the statistics are encouraging. A great many people are "serial speeders", but of those who attended the course only a tiny percentage re-offended.

Gina
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

It doesnt matter anyway, you should be aware of the signs whatever the changes and this only happens very rarely.

Jo
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:32 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
And I bet you're so perfect your sh*t doesn't stink

Most certainly not!! I am just as guilty as the next person of speeding at times, it’s very easy to be driving a long then suddenly notice you are over the limit.
The OP was unlucky, I am sure he has gone the same way for weeks or months and done the same speed and not thought about, but on this occasion he was unlucky, he got done, tough but that’s how it is sometimes.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
If it's not just for the purpose of revenue why is it that these traps always seem to be where there is a change in the speed limit.There for punishing people for a tad of misjudgment or human error rather that the blatant breaking of the law as it would be on a stretch with a constant limit.

Could it be that they'd catch less people, it may be the law but it's there to suit their bank balance, not all laws are fair.
fraser you are sooo spot on, it's not about safety at all.

meelie - i'm still with you! everyone else has obviously been brainwashed. how smug they all are!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

carmil will become famous soon enoughcarmil will become famous soon enough

Guy gets caught speeding on the way to work, by cop hiding behind the bushes with a speed gun;

Cop: Where are you going in such a hurry?

Guy: To work, I'm late

Cop: And where do you work?

Guy: The anus stretching factory

Cop: Anus stretching factory???

Guy: Yes, we get an anus and stretch it and stretch it until it's 6 ft

Cop: And what exactly do you do with a 6ft anus?

Guy: We give it a speed gun and stick it behind the bushes !!!

Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:00 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I got my first speeding ticket whilst driving to work on a Sunday morning at 06.40 am! Thing is, the area I was in was where the speed drops from 90 to 70 km and I was doing 81km which clearly indicates I was reducing speed! How is that fair???? And as usual the sneaky B######s were hiding behind bushes when they got me! Result...............$100 fine and one point! Don't these police have anything better to do? Why don't they get the real speeders and idiot drivers out there? Rant over but still fuming!!!!!!!:curse:
Can I just clarify something? You were speeding. You were caught speeding. You got a ticket. What are you mad about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.