Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Future of Australia

The Future of Australia

Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:42 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Future of Australia

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Each to his/her own mate but I cant say I have ever made a mistake in where I chose to live, thats really what makes life interesting isnt it. For most people who return I reckon it's the person that is the mistake for the country, not the country being a mistake for the person.
Without trying to sound harsh or insulting, it's my opinion that a survivor in every sense of the word is one who can readilly adapt to life anywhere. So you tried and failed I guess.
Eh? So you fail if you move back rather than living in a second rate country? By your recaning you succeed by making do and adjusting to your less than ideal environment, or more typically do as the ozzies do and settle always for less than perfect and ignore all the stuff that's wrong with the place..

I agree to succeed here you need a big dose of the ozzie attitude of 'She'll be right'.

I can't believe you think someone that returns has failed or substandard in some way because they 'failed to adapt'...priceless....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:44 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Australia can do the big projects if it needs to, what about The Snowy Mountains Scheme?

"The Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Scheme is by far the largest engineering project ever undertaken in Australia. It is also one of the largest and most complex hydro-electric schemes in the world.

The system's construction is seen by many as a defining point in Australia's history, and an important symbol of Australia's identity as an independent, multicultural and resourceful country. "

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov....s/snowyscheme/
But that's only one project in how many years as a nation? They might be able to do the odd grand thing but it's by no means a common occurance and usually they wait for the disaster to happen before trying half hearted to do something about it.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:02 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I can't believe you think someone that returns has failed or substandard in some way because they 'failed to adapt'...priceless....
You have to take it in the context of my reply to a bullshit post that misquoted me. Dont take it to heart Arkon
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all

Excellent, but the Snowy Mountains is Over East, and thus the other side of the planet (might as well be) to West Aus and therefore serves no benefit. Could hardly see the WA Government chipping in on that one. Or The Top End government (but then, we all know noone lives there anyway :P) etc.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:08 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

What Australia needs is Queen Victoria..
Are you forgetting who Australia's head of state is, and you want to go to the country where she has more power than here ? I shudder at the thought
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcpiano
Excellent, but the Snowy Mountains is Over East, and thus the other side of the planet (might as well be) to West Aus and therefore serves no benefit. Could hardly see the WA Government chipping in on that one. Or The Top End government (but then, we all know noone lives there anyway :P) etc.
I'm not so sure about that, because there is a National electrical grid... AFAIK.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spartacus
I picked up a sound bite when nuclear power qwas a subject of debate in the UK a little while ago.

Apparently, the energy delivered, in the form of electricity, by a nuclear power station during its operational lifetime, is far less than the energy required for its construction.
get away with you!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:24 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
a National electrical grid... AFAIK.

No, I think it's genuine
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
So you tried and failed I guess.
Or I have far higher aspirations for my family.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Or I have far higher aspirations for my family.
Asking as person that sits in a fairly netural position on the pros and cons of Aus V the UK, I feel I'd like to ask a question that is nagging at me. Have you ever considered the possibilty that you could be wrong from the point of view of standard of living for the average Joe. This affiliation that Australia has with China now, could well be very interesting long term.

I think one of the first litmus tests on this, will be how Aussie rides out the American credit crunch that has just sent a mini tidal wave sucking the breath out of the UK property market.

I'll give you a pointer on what I'm seeing and what they are talking about in London right now...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/b37ab482-bfd...nclick_check=1

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 12th 2008 at 10:46 am.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Well the arab world spend huge amounts from thier oil on diversifiying thier industry to other sectors. Here it's all wasted. My money is on a world dominated by china and some of the Arab states, Australia will become just a desolate backwater as seen in Mad Max films.....Science fiction is not always that far away from fact.
Have you been to any of these Arab worlds? Most of the people live in abject poverty and there is very few industries outside oil production. Only the rich get an education.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:36 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Asking as person that sits in a fairly netural position on the pros and cons of Aus V the UK, I feel I'd like to ask a question that is nagging at me. Have you ever considered the possibilty that you could be wrong from the point of view of standard of living for the average Joe. This affiliation that Australia has with China now, could well be very interesting long term.

I think one of the first litmus tests on this, will be how Aussie rides out the American credit crunch that has just sent a mini tidal wave sucking the breath out of the UK property market.

I'll give you a pointer on what I'm seeing and what they are talking about in London right now...
Australia's biggest export destinations are China, the US and Japan. The state of Australia's economy is down to the huge commodities boom that Chindia is generating. Take away the commodities and the housing market will dive as this country has higher levels of consumer debt that the US. Take away housing and commodities and this country will be like anywhere else in the sub prime mess.

The big question is when will China's boom end? China's boom is built on excessive credit and just like the rest of Asia in 1997 and any other credit led boom it will bust. Hopefully by that point the US and Japan will be back online.

The other wonderful thing about commodites exports is that they bring the government billions in tax royalties that mean Australia has been able to slash income tax rates and fund some pork barrelled election campaigns. This is despite the need for critical infrastructure projects so we have fresh water, electricity and schools for the 125,000 a year migration intake.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IvanM
This is despite the need for critical infrastructure projects so we have fresh water, electricity and schools for the 125,000 a year migration intake.
But not only the migration population, just the current poulation. I really do believe that water is the next oil.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
But not only the migration population, just the current poulation. I really do believe that water is the next oil.
I heard the expansion of FNQ is being sponsored by Canberra as they know the water is going to dry up down South.

Extra housing stock is being prepared before the mass exodus to the North.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The Future of Australia

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
As far as I am aware their is no commercial export manufacturing in Australia.
You are kidding, aren't you?

Manufacturing is Australia's largest export earner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.