Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Families - just how bad are yours?

Families - just how bad are yours?

Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:25 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Families - just how bad are yours?

i meant to add to my post

that i have told Alan he is welcome to have any member of his family visit and with the exception of one sister
me and the girls will enjoy the visit back to the UK if any of them choose to visit!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:28 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
When you say they will never know you are going, do you reckon if they should ever find out by some way, they will try and get the free holiday like alot of people do?
i know they will, and they will just get the door slammed back in their faces.

Didn't help us when we needed it, why should we help them now?

Sod them. My kids are more important that that lot any day.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:29 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god, I remember your posts about the family, it was like a soap opera

Funny though, if you turn it around and try and tell your family what to do with their lives, they dont like it.
very true.dont think i ever will tell my kids wot they can & cant do (when they are of age that is!) after all we have been through,we have both seen 2 sides of hurt & anger & how destructive that web can be.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:35 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
i know they will, and they will just get the door slammed back in their faces.

Didn't help us when we needed it, why should we help them now?

Sod them. My kids are more important that that lot any day.
I have had people that I havent seen in years say to me 'Oh I will doss on your floor for a few months'

When I told them we were not doing the 'guest house thing' where people stay for ages, she said 'Thats fine, Ill sleep on your sofa'.

I know exactly who will and wont stay with me and for how long as well and I have already told some people that if they want to come, they can stay a couple of nights but after that its a motel.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:44 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I have had people that I havent seen in years say to me 'Oh I will doss on your floor for a few months'

When I told them we were not doing the 'guest house thing' where people stay for ages, she said 'Thats fine, Ill sleep on your sofa'.

I know exactly who will and wont stay with me and for how long as well and I have already told some people that if they want to come, they can stay a couple of nights but after that its a motel.
good for you Sam

I wish i had done the ground rules before hand

i know have my Brother in Law and sister saying they want to come over in Dec,, not a prob!

and are bringing their 17 year old son and 15 year year old daughter

ok still not a major problem mind you thats 8 people in my house!

but to then tell me that the son and daughter want to bring their current girlfriend and boy friend (niether of whom we know) was crap

i told them that the kids and partners will have to stay in the garden in tents, NO WAY are they staying in my house!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my relatives and in laws are being crap, but on the whole, taking a balanced view.... which I wasn't this morning when I shared my life with you all... My parents are being fantastic, I have aunts, uncles and cousins coming out of the wood work (just had young cousin over right now, haven't seen him in 5 years, he is off to Afghanistan and I'm off to Oz, when he heard he came straight over bless his little cotton socks...) and NOT ONE of my friends has been anything other than positive about the whole thing.... No one is raining on my parade now as I am the lucky one going to the lucky country... as usual OH is totally right... (but if anyone ever quotes me on that I will deny it)....
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007
Some of my relatives and in laws are being crap, but on the whole, taking a balanced view.... which I wasn't this morning when I shared my life with you all... My parents are being fantastic, I have aunts, uncles and cousins coming out of the wood work (just had young cousin over right now, haven't seen him in 5 years, he is off to Afghanistan and I'm off to Oz, when he heard he came straight over bless his little cotton socks...) and NOT ONE of my friends has been anything other than positive about the whole thing.... No one is raining on my parade now as I am the lucky one going to the lucky country... as usual OH is totally right... (but if anyone ever quotes me on that I will deny it)....
At least things are not as bad as you first thought babe. You can alway come on here for a rant, we will support you and then just ignore you. only joking love. xx
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:51 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
good for you Sam

I wish i had done the ground rules before hand

i know have my Brother in Law and sister saying they want to come over in Dec,, not a prob!

and are bringing their 17 year old son and 15 year year old daughter

ok still not a major problem mind you thats 8 people in my house!

but to then tell me that the son and daughter want to bring their current girlfriend and boy friend (niether of whom we know) was crap

i told them that the kids and partners will have to stay in the garden in tents, NO WAY are they staying in my house!
You have to be firm. It wouldnt be half so bad if people respected your property.

I wouldnt dream of treating someones house as my own home - at the end of the day it isnt.

Doing the cleaning and chipping in is the least someone can do, but rarely ever offer.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago we had some friends who called and said they were coming out to our place for a two week vacation. "Great!", we said. "There's a fantastic B&B about 10 minutes down the road from us. We'll call and make your reservation". Surprisingly, they decided not to come visit.
I think it's very presumptuous of people to think they can just say they're going to be staying in your home without being invited.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You can tell the parents of the kids who are planning a Gap year for their darlings... they are our NEW best friends...

we have always had an open house policy for friends and family, but I think we may have to revise this now we will be living some where desirable and not in blighty...

having said that I love having people to stay, I love catering for large numbers of people and I will welcome anyone who does their bit housework wise....
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007
You can tell the parents of the kids who are planning a Gap year for their darlings... they are our NEW best friends...

we have always had an open house policy for friends and family, but I think we may have to revise this now we will be living some where desirable and not in blighty...

having said that I love having people to stay, I love catering for large numbers of people and I will welcome anyone who does their bit housework wise....
Someone actually mentioned to me about their son doing a gap year and will 'choose Australia now'.

I never thought anything of it.

It is as though the whole world revolves around their kid and I dont mind being asked but when people assume I will look after their darling child then they are in for two hopes - Bob Hope and No Hope.

They can fund their gap year and their accommodation themselves. That is so bloody assuming that it takes the piss.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:50 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I am really coming to terms with the saying of 'its our life and up to us how we live it'

The guilt trips are quite incredible.
What I would do is pick something that you don't like about your family - say your mum bought a new car, or they just moved house....then harp on and on and on about how they shoudl never have bought a new car cause the money should have went in their inheritance to the grand children....the car is too big and they won't be happy with it.....why on earth would they want a new car, the old one was fine etc etc.

See how long it takes before they get annoyed with you compaining about the decisions they make!!!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
What I would do is pick something that you don't like about your family - say your mum bought a new car, or they just moved house....then harp on and on and on about how they shoudl never have bought a new car cause the money should have went in their inheritance to the grand children....the car is too big and they won't be happy with it.....why on earth would they want a new car, the old one was fine etc etc.

See how long it takes before they get annoyed with you compaining about the decisions they make!!!!
Its true, you often find when the boot is on the other foot they think its different.

There is a post on here by someone who moved back from Oz due to family pressure and when she got back, her parents moved away can you believe?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:03 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Its true, you often find when the boot is on the other foot they think its different.

There is a post on here by someone who moved back from Oz due to family pressure and when she got back, her parents moved away can you believe?
I know you have seen some of my posts before and I just can't believe this is such a big issue for Enlgish people - are all english people so selfish?? (except for the ones on this forum, obviously).

Everything over here seems to be an issue and everyone is worried about everything all the time!

I'm going mental and I'm regarded as a loose canon at work simply because I don't take things seriously........honestly though, how seriously can you take the fact that the wrong colour paper has been put into the photocopier ('so just cahnge the fu**ing paper to whatever colour YOU want' was my recent reply to an email complaining of this exact thing......
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:05 pm

that is not only nasty but hypocritical too. I can't believe that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.