Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Families - just how bad are yours?

Families - just how bad are yours?

Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:07 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Families - just how bad are yours?

I think some people would be better not saying anything and sending a postcard from Brisbane saying

"having a lovely time, bought a house, got a new job, weather is great, wish you were here...."
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:09 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
I know you have seen some of my posts before and I just can't believe this is such a big issue for Enlgish people - are all english people so selfish?? (except for the ones on this forum, obviously).

Everything over here seems to be an issue and everyone is worried about everything all the time!

I'm going mental and I'm regarded as a loose canon at work simply because I don't take things seriously........honestly though, how seriously can you take the fact that the wrong colour paper has been put into the photocopier ('so just cahnge the fu**ing paper to whatever colour YOU want' was my recent reply to an email complaining of this exact thing......
people do tend to take things a bit too seriously here especially when it comes down to stupid things. The things people worry about on this forum are quite valid seeing as they are moving 12,000 miles away, but other than that every body's back is always up over something or other.

Just laugh at them like I do, It annoys them more!!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

liking that andy think i will pinch that idea
sharon x
I think some people would be better not saying anything and sending a postcard from Brisbane saying

"having a lovely time, bought a house, got a new job, weather is great, wish you were here...."
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:18 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
people do tend to take things a bit too seriously here especially when it comes down to stupid things. The things people worry about on this forum are quite valid seeing as they are moving 12,000 miles away, but other than that every body's back is always up over something or other.

Just laugh at them like I do, It annoys them more!!!
Oh yeah, I can understand people being a little (lot) worried when they have quit there job and are taking the family to the other side of the world - THAT seems logical!

Just all the other crap people get caught up in.....who really cares about whether there is a supermarket in Australia called Tesco, who REALLY cares..........
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:21 pm

Oh yeah, I can understand people being a little (lot) worried when they have quit there job and are taking the family to the other side of the world - THAT seems logical!

Just all the other crap people get caught up in.....who really cares about whether there is a supermarket in Australia called Tesco, who REALLY cares..........
totally agree with you there. Why would anyone want to pay $4 for a packet of bleeding jaffa cakes just because it's from the UK?, surly OZ has it's own stuff. Can't be that bad surely. Like I said Laugh at them, those conversations crack me up.

Thinking about it has anyone actually had a positive response from their families, or any one "made-up" with their families before they left?

Last edited by Sheff_Sparky; Aug 16th 2007 at 2:25 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:25 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

totally agree with you there. Why would anyone want to pay $4 for a packet of bleeding jaffa cakes just because it's from the UK?, surly OZ has it's own stuff. Can't be that bad surely. Like I said Laugh at them, those conversations crack me up.
Gets me in trouble lots (I am an Aussie in the UK) - constantly taking the piss out of people that are worried about complete nonsense!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:32 pm

Gets me in trouble lots (I am an Aussie in the UK) - constantly taking the piss out of people that are worried about complete nonsense!!
they are asking for it most of the time though! "who put the wet spoon in the sugar bowl?" or "don't eat those biscuits. they are for the clients. Eat the other ones" - like it makes a effing difference. and my all time fave:

"don't take longer than 5 minutes in the toilet or you will have to explain yourself when you come out." My mate took the paper in there and read it front to back just to piss them off. When asked he just said he had hemmoroids and asked them if they wanted a look!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:35 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I know you have seen some of my posts before and I just can't believe this is such a big issue for Enlgish people - are all english people so selfish?? (except for the ones on this forum, obviously).

Everything over here seems to be an issue and everyone is worried about everything all the time!

I'm going mental and I'm regarded as a loose canon at work simply because I don't take things seriously........honestly though, how seriously can you take the fact that the wrong colour paper has been put into the photocopier ('so just cahnge the fu**ing paper to whatever colour YOU want' was my recent reply to an email complaining of this exact thing......
I know what you mean. Sometimes I want to say to them at work 'its only a job, dont get so stressed' - you should see the way people panic over silly things.

I am tempted to put cling film over the toilet seat just for a laugh
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:42 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know what you mean. Sometimes I want to say to them at work 'its only a job, dont get so stressed' - you should see the way people panic over silly things.

I am tempted to put cling film over the toilet seat just for a laugh
Cling film on the toilet seat......God, the people I work with I want to put cling film over their heads!!!!!

Anyway, sorry for hijacking thred.

Back to people's stories about horrible families and family issues.....
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:46 pm

Cling film on the toilet seat......God, the people I work with I want to put cling film over their heads!!!!!

Anyway, sorry for hijacking thred.

Back to people's stories about horrible families and family issues.....
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

MikeSplicer is on a distinguished road

Agree with you 110% this is one of the reseons I am going to Aus the Pilocks I work with that call meetings to Arrange Meetings to discuss crap....
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:30 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
After reading just how shocking families can behave when they hear of your migration, I thought a thread dedicated to the appalling behaviour of families and how you dealt with it would be interesting.

Its nice to know you are not alone and I couldnt believe one of the threads this morning about how a BE members family are treating them.

So come on, just how bad did your family behave when they found out you were going to Australia.

I did read about one person whos father refused to move out of the house to try and stop them going.

This is the official 'Ive been made to feel guilty' thread.

I have not really read the rest of the thread I admit, but how about the families who could not really give a toss? sometimes life is not so sweet and nice.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by C&R
I have not really read the rest of the thread I admit, but how about the families who could not really give a toss? sometimes life is not so sweet and nice.
read these posts and another thread about a similar thing and this is exactly what we are saying. Most get grief for wanting to go, there are very few who get support. we are just getting support and the relief from knowing that you are not the only ones going through this, by sharing on this thing.

read the post titled, "ignore this post....toxic something something". and then you will see where all this comes from.

Last edited by Sheff_Sparky; Aug 16th 2007 at 4:38 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:38 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

read these posts and another thread about a similar thing and this is exactly what we are saying. Most get grief for wanting to go, there are very few who get support. we are just getting support and the relief from knowing that you are not the only ones going through this, by sharing on this thing.
Yeah, but what I am trying to say is really, what if they could not care less?
no support nothing, no grief. At least if you have the guilt trip you would know they care. Anyway, I am in a different position to you guys so should leave it at that I think [have been out of the UK for years and then made the move].
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by C&R
OMG that's my father and step mother....really could not care less! We saw them for the last time (they live in a warm country about 2 hours flying time away) back in May (i think, I'm just as bad as can't remember properly) when they were back in UK.

They had no desire to listen to any of our (brief) plans and the last goodbye was just....

Sparky hub was more upset that me, for me but I told him, no worries!!!

I'm used to their stories being much more important and have been constantly cut off when trying to say something about us

In laws...will prob get back to you soon of that's ok.

Last edited by Sparky wife; Aug 16th 2007 at 4:41 pm. Reason: adding words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.