Dog Owners - Why?

Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:20 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Owners - Why?

Its nice to have a dog. You dont need another reason than that. If you mind the dog well what's the harm, their happy your happy.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
But why do you have 'em, eh? (The dogs.)

Deformed by breeding to emphasise a narrow set of characteristics, mainly appearance. Locked in backyards starving them of company, forcing them to ensure mind bending boredom and indolence most of their lives and provide then with crappy food not fit for a dog. Required (else at the cost of their lives) to display pleasure at the appearance of their owner.
My dogs are cross breeds and are not bred for looks!The vet has said how healthy they are.They live in the house as my dogs are pets not guard dogs.Though a lot of people do keep them outside it does not mean they are not taken for walks and cared for though I would not keep mine outside that is my choice.

We have only one wage coming in but as we wanted dogs they are fed good quality pet food and my friend saves me her left over meat so they had chicken for breakfast today.I think people that dump their dogs use the cost thing as an excuse to dump them.

If you treat a dog badly they will not show pleasure at the appearance of their owner.They are loyal but you have to earn their loyalty.Sue.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:38 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
nope! Aboriginees have been hunting with the assistance of Dingos for centuries and centuries
Working dogs. No work, they get a nulla-nulla between the eyes.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:40 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Nope. Greeks, Romans and Egyptians among others, all kept dogs as pets.
Ah, blame the Romans as usual.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
...and some cultures eat them
More advanced cultures. Those which have long lost even the sentimental connection with working or wild dogs.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:03 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
More advanced cultures. Those which have long lost even the sentimental connection with working or wild dogs.
Not really so. For exmple, Korea, both North and South, have a large amount of people keeping dogs as pets.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:00 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the appeal of dogs. I think I like the "idea" of having a dog, but in reality there are far too many things about them that I don't like:

a) they are invariably smelly (cue the dog owners who like to say "but my dog doesn't smell at all" - trust me, your nose doesn't function properly.
b) their hairs fall out everywhere.
c) their breath stinks and they lick your hands/face/everywhere - after licking all sorts of disgusting things. What cracks me up, is that many dog owners don't think this is a problem
d) they bounce up on you and scratch you. Dog owners will tell you "she's only playing"
e) they get ticks, fleas etc.
f) they get sick - and vet bills are supposedly pretty high.
g) you have to put them in kennels when you go away somewhere.
h) they are sometimes unpredictable, biting and seriously injuring (even killing) people. Again - you would think that this would put most people off... but no.
i) they need to be taken out for regular walks- quite an inconvenience if you don't have the spare time...and even if you do, still a pain.
j) they leave their "dirt" in the garden, or on the footpath for you to pick up after them in a nice little plastic bag and then carry home. Surely that's enough disincentive for owning one.
k) some dogs will literally wreck your house when you are out. Tearing your furniture to shreds, ripping down curtains, breaking breakables. Typically these are puppies. Does this bother the dog owner? No, they usually laugh it off and it's just another amusing story for them to tell their friends?
l) they bark, sometimes at all hours. This in turn sets off other dogs in the vicinity. This "barking" can be extremely loud and annoying.
m) they need to be fed and watered regularly - an extra ongoing cost that many people could do without.
n) I'm sure there are others too.

But all along, I know that there are many millions of people who own dogs and love it. I guess I will just never understand dog lovers.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Bit like child owners Oh think they are called parents!

Like the idea but not the reality.........

Thanks for the list and have to agree with some of them even though we are thinking of getting a dog!

Although cats are superior! Meowwwwww
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by koalakim
Bit like child owners Oh think they are called parents!

Like the idea but not the reality.........

Thanks for the list and have to agree with some of them even though we are thinking of getting a dog!

Although cats are superior! Meowwwwww
Cats are the spawn of Beelzebub.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let PP hear you say that - she'll send Gordon round to sort you out!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:35 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I don't understand the appeal of dogs. I think I like the "idea" of having a dog, but in reality there are far too many things about them that I don't like:

a) they are invariably smelly (cue the dog owners who like to say "but my dog doesn't smell at all" - trust me, your nose doesn't function properly.
b) their hairs fall out everywhere.
c) their breath stinks and they lick your hands/face/everywhere - after licking all sorts of disgusting things. What cracks me up, is that many dog owners don't think this is a problem
d) they bounce up on you and scratch you. Dog owners will tell you "she's only playing"
e) they get ticks, fleas etc.
f) they get sick - and vet bills are supposedly pretty high.
g) you have to put them in kennels when you go away somewhere.
h) they are sometimes unpredictable, biting and seriously injuring (even killing) people. Again - you would think that this would put most people off... but no.
i) they need to be taken out for regular walks- quite an inconvenience if you don't have the spare time...and even if you do, still a pain.
j) they leave their "dirt" in the garden, or on the footpath for you to pick up after them in a nice little plastic bag and then carry home. Surely that's enough disincentive for owning one.
k) some dogs will literally wreck your house when you are out. Tearing your furniture to shreds, ripping down curtains, breaking breakables. Typically these are puppies. Does this bother the dog owner? No, they usually laugh it off and it's just another amusing story for them to tell their friends?
l) they bark, sometimes at all hours. This in turn sets off other dogs in the vicinity. This "barking" can be extremely loud and annoying.
m) they need to be fed and watered regularly - an extra ongoing cost that many people could do without.
n) I'm sure there are others too.

But all along, I know that there are many millions of people who own dogs and love it. I guess I will just never understand dog lovers.
Agreed
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:36 am
Account Closed

As long as it's not Brown.....
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Agreed
You'd change your mind if you met Molly.....
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by asprilla
I don't understand the appeal of dogs. I think I like the "idea" of having a dog, but in reality there are far too many things about them that I don't like:..
In the past I have agreed with many items on that list.. I argued strongly against getting a dog - but lost.

Now?.. I cant imagine not having my little buddy around! Life would seem somehow... empty:
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:40 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont mind people not liking cats, but to hurt them is something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.