Dog Owners - Why?

Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog Owners - Why?

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Absolute bullshit in my opinion Just so happened i owned an American Pit Bull in the Uk (which regularly receive bad press rightly or wrongly ) for all of nearly 14 years (which is well over the odds for this breed apparently) and not once did she bite anyone or attack another dog in all those years (she did retaliate on odd occasions when picked upon by other dogs mind you )
Then your opinion is flawed.... and the fact that you owned one of those monsters means your judgement is as well.

Dogs, all dogs, have breed characteristics. I have an Hungarian Vizsla. He's a pointer, a hunting dog... and when I take him out that's exactly what he does. Nobody taught him to do that, he just does it as second nature... its in his blood.
An American Pit Bull is an attack dog, bred to defend and guard. In my opinion they have NO place in an urban setting.

I bet this dog 'never attacked anybody before' as well.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...led-dog-attack
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Then your opinion is flawed.... and the fact that you owned one of those monsters means your judgement is as well.

Dogs, all dogs, have breed characteristics. I have an Hungarian Vizsla. He's a pointer, a hunting dog... and when I take him out that's exactly what he does. Nobody taught him to do that, he just does it as second nature... its in his blood.
An American Pit Bull is an attack dog, bred to defend and guard. In my opinion they have NO place in an urban setting.

I bet this dog 'never attacked anybody before' as well.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...led-dog-attack
I believe i'm the one that can determine whether or not my judgement was flawed mate on owning the dog (not monster ) i did and no one else In fact me and the missus couldn't have been happier with the choice we made Maybe we just had a one off then As for defending and guarding someone would've had to make an appointment for this to happen as she was always a bloody sleep
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:34 am
Account Closed

I believe i'm the one that can determine whether or not my judgement was flawed mate on owning the dog (not monster ) i did and no one else In fact me and the missus couldn't have been happier with the choice we made Maybe we just had a one off then As for defending and guarding someone would've had to make an appointment for this to happen as she was always a bloody sleep
Just to clarify.. you owned an American pit bull terrier for 14yrs, an illegal dog in the UK, and you and your wife couldn't have been happier with that choice.

How about your neighbours?. Were they happy with your choice?.

Let me see if I can guess your answer... "they bloody loved her", "everbody thought she was really friendly"... in fact the same sort of shit we always hear about one of these animals after they have just ripped the face off somebody.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just to clarify.. you owned an American pit bull terrier for 14yrs, an illegal dog in the UK, and you and your wife couldn't have been happier with that choice.

How about your neighbours?. Were they happy with your choice?.

Let me see if I can guess your answer... "they bloody loved her", "everbody thought she was really friendly"... in fact the same sort of shit we always hear about one of these animals after they have just ripped the face off somebody.
Get your fact right buddy ....wasn't illegal to own one when i had mine
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Get your fact right buddy ....wasn't illegal to own one when i had mine
That makes it all OK then..

Clifton study of fatal dog attacks in the US.

"The study found reports of 264 people killed by dogs over the 24-year period, of which "pit bull terrier" or mixes thereof were reportedly responsible for killing 137, or about 43 percent, of the 314 people killed by dogs in the attacks identified in the study. The breed with the next-highest number of attributed fatalities was the Rottweiler and mixes thereof, with 67 fatalities or about 21 percent of the study-identified fatalities; in aggregate, pit bulls, rottweilers, and mixes thereof were involved in about 64% of the study-identified fatalities"

As you said, perhaps yours was just a "one off".
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:48 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all pitbulls were illegal and then many were called other crosses and therefore not banned. I knew some lovely pit bulls and there is a lot of bad press. Alsations, Rotties, dobermans, greyhounds, dingo crosses, blah blah blah are all capable of attacking and have done on many occasions so lets not get all breed racist.

That said, I must say pit bull wasnt on my list of dogs I was going to get. They seem to be the chosen dog of men who think they are hard (sorry ) - I always looked at them and thought "mm bet he has a small d**k" - not sure if I am allowed to say that.

Compared to home, dogs here seem really friendly. And well trained. I have been very impressed with most dog owners and their dogs. I always comment on this when I am out and about - not a single dog on steroids in sight

Viv
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:51 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
He's certainly more worthwhile than some people I can think of.
The neighbours?
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by viviennef
Not all pitbulls were illegal and then many were called other crosses and therefore not banned. I knew some lovely pit bulls and there is a lot of bad press. Alsations, Rotties, dobermans, greyhounds, dingo crosses, blah blah blah are all capable of attacking and have done on many occasions so lets not get all breed racist.

That said, I must say pit bull wasnt on my list of dogs I was going to get. They seem to be the chosen dog of men who think they are hard (sorry ) - I always looked at them and thought "mm bet he has a small d**k" - not sure if I am allowed to say that.

Compared to home, dogs here seem really friendly. And well trained. I have been very impressed with most dog owners and their dogs. I always comment on this when I am out and about - not a single dog on steroids in sight

Viv
Must say i agree with your point of dogs seeming more friendly here than in Uk .We were living quite close to an off leash dog area and i was amazed really to see how all dogs got on so well together when let off their leashes
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK, I owned a dog called JackTheLad, funnily enough. He was out snuffling around my front garden, when a woman walks passed with a bull mastiff, not on a lead.

Out of nowhere it went ballistic and attacked Jack, so I ran out and started kicking her dog to get it to let go of Jack. That didn't work, so I tried to tear them apart with my hands. Bad idea, one of the dogs bit clean through my hand.

So with blood everywhere and my hand in pieces and the dogs finally seperated, the woman started berating me for kicking her dog, in MY OWN GARDEN!

After a few minutes of receiving abuse I told her I needed to go to hospital as I had a rather large wound in my hand.

And for the time I lived there after that, she would still walk her dog past my house off the lead, and stare in, daring me to say something to her.

The biggest irony was, it turned out she was my own doctors ex-wife, and she lived alone. So was obviously a very very bitter woman.

JTL
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:01 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people have dogs?

I've heard "companionship". Surely only for the conversationally challenged.

I've heard "exercise". Must be real slobs that they need a dog to drag them around.

I've heard "guard". So many dogs are so thoroughly untrained that they bark at everything that moves. Like a car alarm.

Why do people have dogs?
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:03 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Why do people have dogs?

I've heard "companionship". Surely only for the conversationally challenged.

I've heard "exercise". Must be real slobs that they need a dog to drag them around.

I've heard "guard". So many dogs are so thoroughly untrained that they bark at everything that moves. Like a car alarm.

Why do people have dogs?
They are fun to have around and it ensures someone is actually pleased to see you when you get home.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:05 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

cause we love them stupid. They dont answer you back , they are faithful regardless of how much you berate them in the morning, they are funny and dont get boring after 3 years and you can have a conversation with them about anything that interests you.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I have been lucky as we seem to meet well behaved dogs of all types of breed.Though the big dog beach has had problems so we tend to go to a smaller one.

Years ago I owned a rottie who was such a gentle dog and nothing like the sort of rottie that ends up being vicious that is owned by someone who could not care less about the dog only wanting to look tough.It is a shame that these breeds of dogs end up with those sort of owners as in the right hands are so different.

I was shouted at so many times for owning a rottie who I kept on a leash.I could not go through that again so one of my dogs is a lab/retriever/kelpie cross and even though she is not aggressive she is more difficult to handle than my rottie ever was.Sue
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:21 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute bullshit in my opinion Just so happened i owned an American Pit Bull in the Uk (which regularly receive bad press rightly or wrongly ) for all of nearly 14 years (which is well over the odds for this breed apparently) and not once did she bite anyone or attack another dog in all those years (she did retaliate on odd occasions when picked upon by other dogs mind you )
Weren't those things banned in the UK?

There are some around here and they are all vicious. Walk past them and they virtually eat their way through the fence to attack.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:24 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
They are fun to have around and it ensures someone is actually pleased to see you when you get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.