Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Oct 1st 2016, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Originally Posted by bcworld
If that's your agenda then fair enough...but it doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion about the cost of imports vs local manufacturing. I'd be pretty confident in betting that the majority of leave voters would also be unwilling or unable to absorb the cost of everything being manufactured locally. It's a nice idea but completely ignores the realities of global trade and economics.
not my agenda at all, I don't even live there, but when someone's priority is more to prove someone wrong than to succeed with what they've got, then they're ****ed. They would rather fail and be proven right than suck it up and move on. **** global trade, get home sorted first.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 2:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So article 50 by 31 March then

The people have spoken
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 6:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's the thing isn't it. The UK will just get on with it and make the most of the situation. If the UK was going to screwed, then foreign property investors would not be diving into property just because its cheap. They are expecting growth and they will most likely get it and are demonstrating the UK isn't screwed after all.
There's been a huge marketing campaign in China for apartments and retail units in Liverpool's Chinatown, which is being redeveloped. They're selling like hotcakes, with apartments going for up to 560,000 pounds.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 9:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
not my agenda at all, I don't even live there, but when someone's priority is more to prove someone wrong than to succeed with what they've got, then they're ****ed. They would rather fail and be proven right than suck it up and move on. **** global trade, get home sorted first.
I don't think it's anyone's first priority...however the debate will continue. All people were asked was should the UK leave the EU. The specifics of what that actually looks like (single market, freedom of movement etc.) are still totally up for grabs so it seems pretty reasonable we'll still hear opposing arguments. As for ******* global trade and getting home sorted - what does it look like then? So that thing that cost 100 to import a few months ago and now costs 110. Should it be made locally for 200...and then what, pass laws to force companies trading in the UK to buy from the local supplier? Cut wages to Bangladeshi levels to get it back to 100? Slap huge tariffs on all imports?
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
I don't think it's anyone's first priority...however the debate will continue. All people were asked was should the UK leave the EU. The specifics of what that actually looks like (single market, freedom of movement etc.) are still totally up for grabs so it seems pretty reasonable we'll still hear opposing arguments. As for ******* global trade and getting home sorted - what does it look like then? So that thing that cost 100 to import a few months ago and now costs 110. Should it be made locally for 200...and then what, pass laws to force companies trading in the UK to buy from the local supplier? Cut wages to Bangladeshi levels to get it back to 100? Slap huge tariffs on all imports?
I think a bit of protectionism is absolutely called for at the moment, a government I elect should, as far as I'm concerned have my interests at heart, and part of that is meaningful future employment. It's ok to look down on the manufacturing industry as full of working class but to coin a phrase, this country was built by people wearing denim, not suits. We're on the cusp of becoming a nation of shop keepers and waitresses, that's shocking.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Oct 2nd 2016 at 4:19 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I think a bit of protectionism is absolutely called for at the moment, a government I elect should, as far as I'm concerned have my interests at heart, and part of that is meaningful future employment. It's ok to look down on the manufacturing industry as full of working class but to coin a phrase, this country was built by people wearing denim, not suits. We're on the cusp of becoming a nation of shop keepers and waitresses, that's shocking.
Its not a matter of looking down on manufacturing. Its a matter of understanding that the UK can't pay Chinese wages and if you are going to have manufacturing, its got to have a point of difference and compete on a different level to the Chinese and co. Luxury items is a good start.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 7:20 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a matter of looking down on manufacturing. Its a matter of understanding that the UK can't pay Chinese wages and if you are going to have manufacturing, its got to have a point of difference and compete on a different level to the Chinese and co. Luxury items is a good start.
Or you seriously invest in robots and automated manufacturing.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Doesn't need to be luxury items, the quality of pretty much everything from say China is inferior to home made products, Asian rail is absolute pants compared to Australian rail and the brains of the outfit haven't worked out that it's a false economy due to the number of faults.

Perhaps automation is the answer, at least jobs created will be British / Australian jobs, not 7 year old Bangladeshi kids.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
So article 50 by 31 March then

The people have spoken
And perhaps the 'people who have spoken' will finally find out in due course what they signed up for because they sure as hell weren't sure what was involved when they put their X on the referendum paper (the Government don't even know what's involved when it's all said and done). One thing is for sure, because May has said that the UK will have stricter border controls after Article 50 is triggered, that this by definition means no single market membership in any meaningful form.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Or you seriously invest in robots and automated manufacturing.
You could, but luxury isn't made by robots. You can never call it "hand made" and charge that premium to pay the British salaries.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

You could, but luxury isn't made by robots. You can never call it "hand made" and charge that premium to pay the British salaries.
But since wages are then no longer a determinate, you can manufacture close to home, recycle the cash, and allow everyone to have a decent standard of living.

You just need to make sure those that don't play well with others can't take all the gains.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 1:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
And perhaps the 'people who have spoken' will finally find out in due course what they signed up for because they sure as hell weren't sure what was involved when they put their X on the referendum paper (the Government don't even know what's involved when it's all said and done). One thing is for sure, because May has said that the UK will have stricter border controls after Article 50 is triggered, that this by definition means no single market membership in any meaningful form.
It's happened champ - build a bridge and get over it

The UK should not be leaving the EU but they are - the people have spoken and their government is implementing their choice. Simple as

I'm liking what Tony Abbott is saying about a UK/AU trade agreement. The only downside that I can think of is all those western-hating radical muslims that the UK is teeming with being able to easily move down here. That would not be cool. The UK, with its failed policies of multiculturalism, PC'ness and appeasement, has made a rod for its own back with that lot and they are welcome to them. Having a policy of zero welfare or benefits for at least 5 years would probably prevent most of this though
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 1:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's happened champ - build a bridge and get over it

The UK should not be leaving the EU but they are - the people have spoken and their government is implementing their choice. Simple as

I'm liking what Tony Abbott is saying about a UK/AU trade agreement. The only downside that I can think of is all those western-hating radical muslims that the UK is teeming with being able to easily move down here. That would not be cool. The UK, with its failed policies of multiculturalism, PC'ness and appeasement, has made a rod for its own back with that lot and they are welcome to them. Having a policy of zero welfare or benefits for at least 5 years would probably prevent most of this though
Sounds good. However, I don't believe it will extend to any form of freedom of movement EU style. I think it's more about mutual recognition of skills and standards.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
But since wages are then no longer a determinate, you can manufacture close to home, recycle the cash, and allow everyone to have a decent standard of living.

You just need to make sure those that don't play well with others can't take all the gains.
You mean pay everyone the same. Communist style?

Unfortunately we are not all the same. Some people like the freedom to choose their own destiny, while others like to take from those who have chosen the freedom path.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 11:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Sounds good. However, I don't believe it will extend to any form of freedom of movement EU style. I think it's more about mutual recognition of skills and standards.

Yes, looks like Rudd has scotched any ideas of easier movement between AU and UK:

Nocookies | The Australian

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.