Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Wikiposts

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:09 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
to be fair to him, it wasn't the best of decisions and highlights my issues with DRS. He is out by 2mm, which is fair enough, but if they are going to go down that line then it needs to go both ways. Anderson referred an LBW in the first innings that showed 48% of the ball hitting the stumps but because it was not more than 50% it was back to the umpire's original decision. That was more out than Pietersen's wicket.

As long as the ICC maintain this anomaly then there is no way they will get India on board.

Had DRS not existed, I doubt Taufel would have given KP out.
Okey doke, I see Hot Spot has also come in for some stick today ... I posted something way back about the margin for error in Hawkeye/Eagleeye and the like ... And it's quite a lot, relatively.

Stats Corner ...

BBC Test Match Special's statistician Andrew Samson

"Not since 1907 has a side been bowled out for under 100 in the first innings of a Test and won - England made 79 against South Africa at Leeds but went on to win by 53 runs after bowling South Africa out for 110 and 75."
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:11 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Okey doke, I see Hot Spot has also come in for some stick today ... I posted something way back about the margin for error in Hawkeye/Eagleeye and the like ... And it's quite a lot, relatively.

Stats Corner ...

BBC Test Match Special's statistician Andrew Samson

"Not since 1907 has a side been bowled out for under 100 in the first innings of a Test and won - England made 79 against South Africa at Leeds but went on to win by 53 runs after bowling South Africa out for 110 and 75."
also most LBWs in a series, with two and a half innings left
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:14 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

also most LBWs in a series, with two and a half innings left
Blimey ... But you want to be at one of my games and the ump wants to get home early ...
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:19 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I actually don't have so much of an issue with the HotSpot technology. I think the tech itself is quite sound. What is clearly wrong is the human interpretation of its results.

I have never believed in Hawk Eye. Even if you see it in action at the tennis, where the ball doesn't swerve as much in the air as it does in cricket, you can see that where the ball bounces doesn't seem to be the same spot as what hawk eye shows. Even the top players don't believe in it, Federer himself has come out on many occasions and said so. Yet we take its findings of millimetre precision as gospel in both sports. The very fact that we need something like hawk eye to rule on decisions suggests that the call is too close to judge, therefore you need to make sure that the technology ruling on it is accurate enough to make the correct judgment. HE, is not up to scratch IMO. Hotspot and Snicko are and umpires are becoming complacent
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:45 pm
Mostly Harmless

I actually don't have so much of an issue with the HotSpot technology. I think the tech itself is quite sound. What is clearly wrong is the human interpretation of its results.

I have never believed in Hawk Eye. Even if you see it in action at the tennis, where the ball doesn't swerve as much in the air as it does in cricket, you can see that where the ball bounces doesn't seem to be the same spot as what hawk eye shows. Even the top players don't believe in it, Federer himself has come out on many occasions and said so. Yet we take its findings of millimetre precision as gospel in both sports. The very fact that we need something like hawk eye to rule on decisions suggests that the call is too close to judge, therefore you need to make sure that the technology ruling on it is accurate enough to make the correct judgment. HE, is not up to scratch IMO. Hotspot and Snicko are and umpires are becoming complacent
Yeh, I was commenting on the hawk/eagle eye thing more than more conclusive methods like Hot Spot, although Snicko does need to be manually synced to vision as I understand it and hence can't be used in decision-making.

The trouble with technology is that people think it is infallible whereas it is at the mercy of the predictive algorithms generated by the likes of me. And that is fallible

85 for 4 ... Going to be another interesting Test, long odds on a draw ...

(edit) 99 for 6, a first innings lead in the offing? Maybe?

(edit edit) 104 for 6, 5 run lead already ... Match-winning stuff

Last edited by DeadVim; Feb 3rd 2012 at 12:32 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:12 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Cricket Thread

Just come back to check the score after watching a couple of episodes of Downton Abbey with the missus. Nice to see Rehman got Pietersen again.

6 for 105 at stumps! Advantage England. Pakistan must keep them under 150 to have any chance of winning this.

Great Test cricket.

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:18 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Just come back to check the score after watching a couple of episodes of Downton Abbey with the missus. Nice to see Rehman got Pietersen again.

6 for 105 at stumps! Advantage England. Pakistan must keep them under 150 to have any chance of winning this.

Great Test cricket.

6 for 104 I think, that one run is worth at least 3 wickets the way this is going
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:31 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Great Test cricket.

Even Shaun Marsh test scores would look good on these wickets.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:43 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Even Shaun Marsh test scores would look good on these wickets.
Shaun Marsh scores never look good, no matter how bad the wicket is.

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:31 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: The Cricket Thread

8 for 121, this is going to be a slim lead.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:43 pm
Fighting my corner

9 for 133, 5 wickets for Rehman.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, not much in it. Less than a 50 lead and loads of time still.

Time for head down and occupy the crease as much as possible.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:20 pm
Fighting my corner

England all out for 141 with a lead of 35. Pakistan currently 0 for 7, but every ball looks like a guided missile on this pitch.

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:22 pm
Mostly Harmless

England all out for 141 with a lead of 35. Pakistan currently 0 for 7, but every ball looks like a guided missile on this pitch.

A Sikh Heating Missile? (OK, OK a small minority in Pakistan but no reason not to use it).
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:42 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

A Sikh Heating Missile? (OK, OK a small minority in Pakistan but no reason not to use it).
maybe a Sheikh Heat Missile?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.