The Cricket Thread

Old Dec 26th 2014, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by The Bloke
My question is though, why should someone be considered over the hill if they are over 40 in any sport (or 30 even) FFS? Personally I think they stuck with Clarke far too long as Captain...smug prick that he is-he should have been replaced long ago (only reason he got it was that Warne blotted his copybook too many times with indiscretions with women) because of far too many reoccurrences of the hamstring injury that would have had anyone else out of the team long ago.
The point comes in all high level sport that your reactions aren't as quick as they were, you aren't as fit as you were and you don't have the stamina you once had to compete at the highest level.

I'm surprised you even need to ask why you are considered over the hill beyond a certain age. The age at which this happens will vary from individual to individual and from sport to sport but Haddin is nearing the end as India's hardly express quicks showed in bouncing him out twice in Brisbane after failure in 1st test - good recovery day one in Melbourne though.

In tennis the game has got more physical and that's why there are few players under 21 in the top 100 men and the average age of the top 100 has been increasing. However, the point comes, even with someone as great as Federer, when you can't do what you once did. Fed is 33 and over the hill (as judged by no slams in last 10) despite being world 2 and just won the Davis Cup. He won 17 slams up to age 31.

Just your opinion about Clarke; I don't find him smug at all and 5-0 Ashes hardly evidence they persisted with him for too long. He's showing with his injuries that he's nearing the end though. You gave the reasons yourself why they didn't take a punt on Warne and went for Punter - he was good as a vice offering advice and suggestions and is good as a commentator.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

As long as there is no more than 10% difference above original price, otherwise it is an offence under Queensland Scalping Legislation.

"What if I sell or buy a ticket at a price greater than 10% of the original ticket price?

The Act contains penalties for reselling and purchasing tickets to events at Stadiums Queensland facilities at a price greater than 10% above the original ticket price.

Sellers of scalped tickets face a maximum fine of 20 penalty units or $2,200
Buyers of scalped tickets face a maximum fine of 5 penalty units or $550

These provisions reinforce the terms and conditions currently attached to many tickets by event organisers and ticket agents, which prohibit the resale of tickets at a premium.

An offence is committed whether the ticket is sold or purchased prior to, or at the event."
Stadiums Queensland - Ticket Scalping
That's nice. Thankfully Queensland is not the centre of the universe and the Ashes is in the UK.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

My question is though, why should someone be considered over the hill if they are over 40 in any sport (or 30 even) FFS? Personally I think they stuck with Clarke far too long as Captain...smug prick that he is-he should have been replaced long ago (only reason he got it was that Warne blotted his copybook too many times with indiscretions with women) because of far too many reoccurrences of the hamstring injury that would have had anyone else out of the team long ago.
Did you mean Ponting rather than Clarke.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 11:23 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Did you mean Ponting rather than Clarke.

Either, or....who cares, never liked either much, but liked Clarke vastly less than Ponting.

To be honest, there seems to be a general lack of genuine characters left in the game anymore, most likely due to the influx of political correctness and media hype.

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 26th 2014 at 11:30 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Either, or....who cares, never liked either much, but liked Clarke vastly less than Ponting.

To be honest, there seems to be a general lack of genuine characters left in the game anymore, most likely due to the influx of political correctness and media hype.
More characters would be good. Clarke has a bit of A grade prick about him but its channelled in the right areas. Alistair Cook could learn a thing or 2.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

More characters would be good. Clarke has a bit of A grade prick about him but its channelled in the right areas. Alistair Cook could learn a thing or 2.
I used to like Clarke, thought he was a better sportsman than ponting, he has since proved me wrong on numerous occasions. If there's one thing I insist upon its winning and losing with equal dignity and he can't he's a bell end. At least we know that cook can lose well
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:16 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is, now that there are 3 international forms of the game (sigh), with up to 3 different Australian Captains and CA's policy of rotation of players and "horses for courses" in each form, real characters are few and far between as the squad frequently changes. Couple with the media scrutiny, they all have to be squeaky clean and have good photogenic/boyish looks.......
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I used to like Clarke, thought he was a better sportsman than ponting, he has since proved me wrong on numerous occasions. If there's one thing I insist upon its winning and losing with equal dignity and he can't he's a bell end. At least we know that cook can lose well
Cook loses way too well. If I were an England supporter I'd wonder when we were ever going to win again with Cook at the helm.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Wink Re: The Cricket Thread

Cook loses way too well. If I were an England supporter I'd wonder when we were ever going to win again with Cook at the helm.
Clarky likes a bit of helm too . I'm hoping their faith in him is founded as I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, I don't see how he can remain positive about the future though. That being said he's infinitely more tolerable than pup, who is a ****
Old Dec 27th 2014, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Clarky likes a bit of helm too . I'm hoping their faith in him is founded as I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, I don't see how he can remain positive about the future though. That being said he's infinitely more tolerable than pup, who is a ****
No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

Perhaps it was the faith CA showed in him after this. Katich was a damn fine batsmen and we really could have done with him opening a few years back.

Clarke was sent back from an NZ tour to deal with Bingle. He did that and came back and scored a tonne. Even after the Phil Hughes death Clarke played an amazing innings injured with no footwork.

I cant say i think clarke is a great bloke but he is a good captain and has a tremendous ticker.

Australia have done the right thing appointing Steve Smith. So far so good. Michael Clarke was just saying on channel 9 he believes Smith is the future. I reckon Clarke might call it a day soon and hand over the reigns.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

So, it seems, to be test captain:

You have to be a nice, loveable bloke (like Alistair); definitely not show confidence or exude confidence as you are taken by some to be a smug, pr**k, A Grade whatever. Cook thought about resigning as captain before the last Ashes series but - "Cook revealed he had considered his position as captain but was convinced by his wife to continue". That's a real leader.

The behaviour of your girlfriend is important (Bingle) but it doesn't matter about your own morals and the example you set (Warnie) because that makes you a character and the game needs more of this. Pieterson is a 'character' but he's not what a team needs. Warner was a real character to begin with but has been reigned in and the results (this test notwithstanding) show.

I can't help thinking Cook was extremely fortunate to have a team with Trott, Bell, Pieterson and himself in outstanding form with bat and Anderson, Broad and Swann in outstanding form with ball then add Prior with bat and behind the stumps and it isn't surprising he started off with the series win in India and 1st Ashes at home - I don't put a lot of it down to his captaincy and leadership. We all know what the quicker wickets and Johnson did to Cook, Trott, Pieterson, Prior and to a lesser extent Bell; Anderson is just a bit past his best so didn't do that well; Broad did do well.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I see the 'journeyman' has reached 1,000 test runs in 2014 - that must be a record for any journeyman for sure. He'll have a short run as captain as well apparently.

"Steve Smith personified leadership as Australia reached 5-259 at stumps on day one of the Boxing Day Test against India.

Smith continued his career-best form to finish 72 not out, steadying the hosts on a topsy-turvy Friday watched by a crowd of 69,993 at the MCG.

The 25-year-old is on the cusp of a third century in the series and passed 1000 Test runs for the calender year.

Smith displayed grit, refusing to give India the upper hand as wickets tumbled around him.

The rise and rise of Smith over the past year has been underlined by fluent strokeplay, fancy footwork, fidgeting at the crease and a lot of runs."
You're playing India at home, not exactly hard to score runs and look good as captain.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
So, it seems, to be test captain:

You have to be a nice, loveable bloke (like Alistair); definitely not show confidence or exude confidence as you are taken by some to be a smug, pr**k, A Grade whatever. Cook thought about resigning as captain before the last Ashes series but - "Cook revealed he had considered his position as captain but was convinced by his wife to continue". That's a real leader.

The behaviour of your girlfriend is important (Bingle) but it doesn't matter about your own morals and the example you set (Warnie) because that makes you a character and the game needs more of this. Pieterson is a 'character' but he's not what a team needs. Warner was a real character to begin with but has been reigned in and the results (this test notwithstanding) show.

I can't help thinking Cook was extremely fortunate to have a team with Trott, Bell, Pieterson and himself in outstanding form with bat and Anderson, Broad and Swann in outstanding form with ball then add Prior with bat and behind the stumps and it isn't surprising he started off with the series win in India and 1st Ashes at home - I don't put a lot of it down to his captaincy and leadership. We all know what the quicker wickets and Johnson did to Cook, Trott, Pieterson, Prior and to a lesser extent Bell; Anderson is just a bit past his best so didn't do that well; Broad did do well.
You didn't notice then that my appraisal was mostly based on sportsmanship. Tell me you think Clarke is a good sportsman, without smirking . Pup only exudes confidence when he's winning, when he's losing he whinges and bitches like a little girl

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Dec 27th 2014 at 9:19 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You didn't notice then that my appraisal was mostly based on sportsmanship. Tell me you think Clarke is a good sportsman, without smirking . Pup only exudes confidence when he's winning, when he's losing he whinges and bitches like a little girl
He gets a little pissed off. For sure. Something Cook could learn from.

I can't recall him ever blaming anyone but himself and his team and always praises the oopposition.

Perhaps I've missed something.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

He gets a little pissed off. For sure. Something Cook could learn from.

I can't recall him ever blaming anyone but himself and his team and always praises the oopposition.

Perhaps I've missed something.
We clearly don't watch the same matches then. Remember the bad light last year? I don't doubt his skill, but as a bloke and a sportsman he's a shocker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.