The Cricket Thread

Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by Grayling
Plenty of 'whoppers' to be found on here

Proper fishing later, and tomprrow as well.

Presumably you have been called up to open for Australia tomorrow after your spectacular performance the other day
Well bowling is more of a problem. Than ths batting. At my age, bowling has well and truly been limited to a few trundles here and there. But just in case the team management haven't leant the deal yet, I would happily oblige. It might clash with my long weekend in Spain though.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Shame you three are all so busy scoring points off each other that you don't have time to share thoughts on the game with someone who is trying to get interested in it.
I have repeatedly shared my thoughts. The other two aren't really interested in cricket and are just interested in providing that rare English bravado.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
I might take this opportunity, during this interlude from the subject of cricket , to state that I simply do not understand the game of cricket.

Yes. I know a very hard ball is thrown in all manner of ways and that the bloke at the other end needs to not only hit the thing but then to decide to run for points or .....not which is also for points

I have watched m'Dad play when I was a kid, but ice-cream & a picnic tea was involved in that.

So. How does cricket work other than a way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Worth a watch? Not worth a watch?
Worth a watch without a doubt, the king of sports IMO. But do yourself a favour, enjoy it for what it is, a game. A skilful, physically and mentally demanding game that can enthral or bore to death depending on how you think, but a game none the less, we're not talking the end of days if we lose Might be worth getting into the 20/20 games for starters, bit of fun and you've only wasted an evening if you don't like the principles of the game. Test cricket is best though
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Worth a watch without a doubt, the king of sports IMO. But do yourself a favour, enjoy it for what it is, a game. A skilful, physically and mentally demanding game that can enthral or bore to death depending on how you think, but a game none the less, we're not talking the end of days if we lose Might be worth getting into the 20/20 games for starters, bit of fun and you've only wasted an evening if you don't like the principles of the game. Test cricket is best though
20/20s are quite good fun for an evening out, aren't they. Very quick and lots of fun. I love Test cricket, but I can see how it can be daunting as an intro to the game!
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a quick game where you just go for a day & want to see a result, try and get to a one day international. I know a lot of people prefer Test cricket, and I do love it myself, but not everyone has the frame of mind to sit through a multi-day game.
If you can get to a one-day game you would see both teams bat and bowl Well worth a watch.
To put it at its most basic, its like rounders One team is batting and tries to get as many runs as possible (between the wickets) the other team tries to get them out by bowling at them and catching balls. There is a lot more to it, and I will probably get slammed for reducing the game to its lowest common denominator, but if you really know nothing, thats where to start. One team bats, the other bowls & fields. Then you work up from there to start learning the tactics which come into play depending on whether its a one day game or a longer one.
Test matches HAVE become quick games because of ummm the 'quick' games. A test match in the past normally went into the 5th day and sometimes would end in a draw. When was the last time a test match ended in a draw if there wasn't a lot of play lost through the rain? The last 9 Ashes test matches have invariably finished on day 3 or day 4. I therefore don't make the distinction between tests and the shorter forms I used to. You see plenty of kamikaze batting in tests which you rarely saw before.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Test matches HAVE become quick games because of ummm the 'quick' games. A test match in the past normally went into the 5th day and sometimes would end in a draw. When was the last time a test match ended in a draw if there wasn't a lot of play lost through the rain? The last 9 Ashes test matches have invariably finished on day 3 or day 4. I therefore don't make the distinction between tests and the shorter forms I used to. You see plenty of kamikaze batting in tests which you rarely saw before.
What he said, test cricket has been forced to reinvent itself as an exciting crowd pleaser, which can't be seen as a bad thing. Geoff Boycott anyone???
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What he said, test cricket has been forced to reinvent itself as an exciting crowd pleaser, which can't be seen as a bad thing. Geoff Boycott anyone???
India - who now totally dominate the administration of cricket (aka the money) - are going to f**k this up

They hate test cricket
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not talking about a return to Boycott batting; just a return to making a team's test innings last between one and two days. It's less to do with India and more to do with the current mindset of coaches and batsmen. Crowds will always turn up for Ashes tests.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The short nature of tests, especially this Ashes, is largely down to pitch preparation suiting bowlers. Big green monsters ..... we should see another one at the Oval, the pitch traditionally that doesn't do green.

That's what England have ordered and fair enough. Its their pitches.

But it does reduce the game time, which is not good for test match cricket.

Had Australia figured out the right line and length to bowl we could have seen Nottingham and Birmingham go down in 2 days.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
The short nature of tests, especially this Ashes, is largely down to pitch preparation suiting bowlers. Big green monsters ..... we should see another one at the Oval, the pitch traditionally that doesn't do green.

That's what England have ordered and fair enough. Its their pitches.

But it does reduce the game time, which is not good for test match cricket.

Had Australia figured out the right line and length to bowl we could have seen Nottingham and Birmingham go down in 2 days.
So your theory is that pitches with a bit of seam are a completely new thing in England and when the tests lasted longer the pitches were totally benign? I still think the volume of 20 and 50 over cricket has had it's effect on test cricket batsmen.

Thanks again for the lesson on how simple the game is and what we should have done; I'm sure none of that occurred to them. In sport knowing and doing can be quite different things sometimes.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

To put it at its most basic, its like rounders
Do you know what ? I very nearly wrote "is it a bit like rounders" and then got a bit at what might have been the response from cricket fans. I kid you not.

Rules ? Tactics?
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OzTennis
So your theory is that pitches with a bit of seam are a completely new thing in England and when the tests lasted longer the pitches were totally benign? I still think the volume of 20 and 50 over cricket has had it's effect on test cricket batsmen.

Thanks again for the lesson on how simple the game is and what we should have done; I'm sure none of that occurred to them. In sport knowing and doing can be quite different things sometimes.
Happy to help. You might be an expert in tennis but your cricket knowledge is incredibly weak. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You can't be Eddie the Expert in everything. Happy to admit I know very little about tennis.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You can't be Eddie the Expert in everything.
Not like yourself then
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

To be moaning about green wickets in England shows the depth that Australian cricket has plunged. Previous generations of Aussie fast bowlers have never had a problem on English pitches - imagine Lillee, Thompson, McGrath or Lee whinging about green pitches!

Remember, both teams have to bowl on it and if they are good enough then they will get success - preparing wickets can work both ways

I laughed this morning at an article that stated that Australia is the only country left that prepares neutral wickets! What a f**king joke
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Happy to help. You might be an expert in tennis but your cricket knowledge is incredibly weak. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You can't be Eddie the Expert in everything. Happy to admit I know very little about tennis.
Pitches were benign in England in the past and a seamer is a new thing? Answer the question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.