The Cricket Thread

Old May 21st 2015, 12:19 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

I'm playing cricket with Kiwis this weekend, spare me a thought.
Old May 21st 2015, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'm playing cricket with Kiwis this weekend, spare me a thought.
You're going to need it
Old May 21st 2015, 10:13 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You're going to need it
Wasn't looking good when I went to bed but perked up since.
Old May 22nd 2015, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I love watching at The Oval, its a really good atmosphere there, and I've had some great chats with fellow spectators. Last guy I met there was a West Indian who had kived in London since the 50s, and was approaching his 90th birthday. Fascinating character!
Not been to Lords yet, long been an aim of mine and I've got a ticket for this year's Ashes Test there. A good friend of mine back home went to an Ashes Test a few years back with his father-dad was a cricket fanatic, playing and watching, and had been a member of Lords for years. My mate knew absolutely nothing (to the extent of expecting a Test to be completed in one day) but he enjoyed Lords for the historical element and the fact it really is a part of English history. looking forward to seeing what its really like in July
Lords definitely a bucket list item. The crowd at the Oval is a bit loose therefore generating more atmosphere. Another goody is Edgbaston. Not a great stadium. In fact very small, but a great crowd, full of atmosphere. I saw the Saffas play England about 7 years ago. I support neither team but it was a brilliant day out. There is also a Hooters bar on the walk back to the station.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So next up is the Ashes, and like they always say, you can't win a cricket game without taking 20 wickets.

So who's going to bowl themselves to victory?

Well its going to be swing friendly as always. I watched a bit of the Eng NZ tests but can't say I watched enough to see how the England bowlers were travelling. Of course Jimmy will be there swinging it and Broad will be there no doubt. Who's the third?

For Australia you've gotta say Hazelwood and Starc are dead certainties, both can swing it, Starc at high pace, and Hazelwood with his nagging accuracy. For the 3rd seamer it's gotta be Harris when he returns. That leave's Lyon as the spinner and Johnson carrying the drinks.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Both sides are inclined to be erratic - with individuals have their "on" days and "off" days. In Australia's first innings in the last test in the West Indies, Smith was the only successful batsman in the first innings: more runs than all the other ten batsmen combined. That's not healthy. I think England have a fair chance of doing well in the Ashes: it won't be the walk-over that the Aussies believe it will be.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Both sides are inclined to be erratic - with individuals have their "on" days and "off" days. In Australia's first innings in the last test in the West Indies, Smith was the only successful batsman in the first innings: more runs than all the other ten batsmen combined. That's not healthy. I think England have a fair chance of doing well in the Ashes: it won't be the walk-over that the Aussies believe it will be.
Ah the batsmen focus. Of course. The default setting when it comes to who will win a series.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ah the batsmen focus. Of course. The default setting when it comes to who will win a series.
Not "a" series, but this series. In my opinion, the successes of both sets of bowlers - in this series - are less predictable than usually. Nothing to warrant sarcasm, surely.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Not "a" series, but this series. In my opinion, the successes of both sets of bowlers - in this series - are less predictable than usually. Nothing to warrant sarcasm, surely.
I don't know. I'm trying to think back to when a team won an Ashes series because they had better batsmen. I can think of plenty where a team won because they had better bowlers.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 6:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aussies a dead cert to walk away from this in a smug, self satisfied manner whether they win or lose, as there's no way we could have won without an Aussie coach
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

The omens not looking good eg England draw 1-1 with West Indies; Australia 2-0 without using the 10 days or 20 wickets per game. Australia thrash England and NZ at ODI's; England lose to NZ etc, etc. Smith has gone to #1 batsman in the world and few could argue that Starc isn't the best bowler in the world currently. It's looking as though come 8th July we'll see plenty of this.

It's funny how when England had their rare Ashes wins they were very smug and convicts this and that, Johnson pie chucker, Warner not a Test opener, Smith not up to scratch but when the shoe is on the other foot it's different.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The omens not looking good eg England draw 1-1 with West Indies; Australia 2-0 without using the 10 days or 20 wickets per game. Australia thrash England and NZ at ODI's; England lose to NZ etc, etc. Smith has gone to #1 batsman in the world and few could argue that Starc isn't the best bowler in the world currently. It's looking as though come 8th July we'll see plenty of this.
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psbm34kqaa.jpg

It's funny how when England had their rare Ashes wins they were very smug and convicts this and that, Johnson pie chucker, Warner not a Test opener, Smith not up to scratch but when the shoe is on the other foot it's different.
At least we can spell YMCA
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't know. I'm trying to think back to when a team won an Ashes series because they had better batsmen. I can think of plenty where a team won because they had better bowlers.
You don't have to think back beyond the last one - Warner 523 @ 58.1, Haddin 493 @ 61.6, Rogers 463 @ 46.3, Clarke 363 @ 40.3, Watson 345 @ 38.3. Bell was the only one who would get on that list, Root averaged less than Watson, so whatever you think the series was won by the team with the better batsmen as well as the better bowlers (as well as the best captain, the best fielding, the best coach)
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
At least we can spell YMCA
Always thought a lot of you were Village People.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Always thought a lot of you were Village People.
We're smaller and have a better atmosphere arf arf. Win or lose I hope it's not a trouncing. My 2 TA's are Irish and Welsh, and I give them shit all the time. They'll be looking for payback

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.