The Cricket Thread

Old Jul 17th 2015, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by OzTennis
There's not much being said for the supposed home of the game. Reminds of the comment of Lee Westwood last week on the Open being back at the home of golf. The reporter said something like, well Lee is St Andrews in your top 10 courses in the world. Lee: 'it's not in my top 10 in Fife'.
Lords is lords. If you want cheer leaders and mexican waves go to Melbourne. If you want the tradition go to Lords. You really need to get out more. Do youself a favour and go and see a Test at another ground other than Melbourne. Plenty of places sh8t all over Melbourne. I'd recommend Lords, Birmingham, The Oval, SCG and the Adelaide Oval. That way you can be in a position to actually pass an honest judgement.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 9:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders

Eng batsmen will now need to post big in their second innings and I am not sure they will have it in them. I'm calling it early, this will be a win to Aus. Eng will post high 300s, Aus will post 570 odd
So far Eng will struggle to post my predicted score. Aus did slightly better than I called.

As much as I don't rate Aus' batting lineup, they are a more settled lineup in their top 5. Whereas Lyth is new and Ballance hasn't impressed me at all since debuting. That is 2 players from the top 3 who are always vulnerable early and that is dangerous. I'd rather see Bell or Root move up and hide Ballance at 5.
If Eng thought they could just come out and get some good scores then the warning signs were in the Aussie scorecard. Only two players in their team scored above their average, everyone else was below.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I think the was asked earlier. Not sure available with an Aussie IP.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/07/08/watch-2015-ashes-live-tv-online-streaming-radio/
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I'm not following you anymore, your argument has become so contorted I'm stuggling to believe even you are following your own point.

I've already presented to you the cold hard facts that Broad and Anderson CAN bowl in Aus, if you choose to ignore those facts (not interpretations like you are making) then it is pointless us persuing this point anymore.

And, yes, bar the Adelaide test, the Aus batsmen were below par in that series. Aus' batting has been propped up by their bowling for a long time now. Like Eng's bowling they have kept their team competitive and masked underlying batting issues.

In case you needed further info to support this, read this article that was written during the SCG test. The opening paragraph backs up everything I just said.

Ashes 2013-14: Grumpy England let Australia off the hook - again - Cricket - Sport - The Independent

Also from your own media on Aus' batting

Ashes 2015: First Test reaction, Australian batting crisis

"The impressive form of the bowlers has covered over the cracks in Australia’s batting line up since Darren Lehmann was appointed coach"
To repeat again, last time (I'm just commenting on this, not going back any further) England lost 5-0; Broad and Anderson were the 2 main strike bowlers. Whether you think it was the Australian batsmen or the England batsmen who caused this, they were the 2 main bowlers whose job was to prevent the Australian batsmen scoring. Anderson has shown the last 2 days that he can't even bowl consistently and dangerously in English conditions now. I know he got some at Cardiff but he was needed badly at Lords. Broad did bowl well but only after 350 runs were on the board.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

So far Eng will struggle to post my predicted score. Aus did slightly better than I called.

As much as I don't rate Aus' batting lineup, they are a more settled lineup in their top 5. Whereas Lyth is new and Ballance hasn't impressed me at all since debuting. That is 2 players from the top 3 who are always vulnerable early and that is dangerous. I'd rather see Bell or Root move up and hide Ballance at 5.
If Eng thought they could just come out and get some good scores then the warning signs were in the Aussie scorecard. Only two players in their team scored above their average, everyone else was below.
What happened was at tea on the 2nd day they moved the pitch from Cardiff to Lords. Suddenly Johnson in particular, Hazlewood and Starc did something that Broad, Anderson and Wood couldn't do early on. Root played a silly shot but look at the over he got from Johnson prior to his dismissal - it resulted in him nervously swiping outside off. I still think the effect of Johnson in the last series affects players too and why he should always be played.

You don't think the emboldened bit is immaterial when 2 guys make nearly 400 between them? I think Nevill scored above his average of zero incidentally.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:55 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis

You don't think the emboldened bit is immaterial when 2 guys make nearly 400 between them? I think Nevill scored above his average of zero incidentally.
of course it is, all I was saying is that there is clearly life to be had in this pitch, but the Eng bowlers didn't bowl well enough on day 1.

Also, if you really do have the background in Cricket that you have been claiming to have with your argument with Beoz then you will know that you do not have an average until you have been dismissed. Nevill, having never scored or been dismissed will have had a NA in his average column
Old Jul 18th 2015, 8:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

1-1

Momentum with Australia
Old Jul 18th 2015, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
1-1

Momentum with Australia
Post 562 boom boom

Momentum with England
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was in bed by the time all this was going on but I thought Hazlewood's delivery was the best of the lot. Mesmerizing, unplayable.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 12:25 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
1-1

Momentum with Australia
Show grit, bat out for the draw, demoralise Aus, momentum The Good Guys.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Show grit, bat out for the draw, demoralise Aus, momentum The Good Guys.
Could do but that said still a lot of runs to avoid the follow on. Not impossible.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Or a draw. Depends on how the pitch plays out. Bowlers certainly weren't as tight as they were in Cardiff. I thought the batsmen, except Warner, showed a lot more intelligence in the shots they played.

Yep Lords is a quiet ground. Much prefer the upcoming 3 grounds for atmosphere. Birmingham is a riot. Lots of fun.
Vey quiet. All you could hear was the Hooray Henrys moving the champagne bottles around!
great experience, for many reasons I am glad I went, but I have to say I prefer the Oval
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:04 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Could do but that said still a lot of runs to avoid the follow on. Not impossible.
Not wishing to quote Bon Jovi but Keep The Faith.

Rain forecast, crease occupation critical.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Vey quiet. All you could hear was the Hooray Henrys moving the champagne bottles around!
great experience, for many reasons I am glad I went, but I have to say I prefer the Oval
Yep. Once you've had the Lords experience, much more fun mixing with the commoners south of the river.

Good thing about Lords is you can always get a ticket. Very hard at the Oval
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Not wishing to quote Bon Jovi but Keep The Faith.

Rain forecast, crease occupation critical.
Without rain you could going down in a "Blaze of Glory"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.