The Cricket Thread

Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Maybe and if that's the case, why did Clarke choose to bat? I think both captains misread the pitch somewhat and the weather certainly helped the bowlers

England bowled exceptionally well and surprised me somewhat. Australia looked a bit brittle to me but good bowling can sometimes do that
Default setting is to bat first. Even there it was the right thing to do. Cook would have batted too.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I have always thought this, but Warner is the biggest flat track bully in test cricket. I have seen him play one responsible innings under seam-friendly conditions in his entire career. The rest he simply throws away, every time! That innings was against NZ in Hobart (off memory) for his first ever century.

If you look at his career, he only seems to score big runs when the pressure is off. He rarely ever scores big when Aus are batting first in a match. Generally he scores big when the rest of the team have done the hard yards and the pressure is off. If it wasn't for Rogers' stoicism in this series Aus might not have even got close to Eng at all (Lord's included)
No shit BS. You can include all other Aussie batters in that list too except for Rogers. Just look at the way Rogers waits and plays last minute. Years of batting experience on English decks. The rest just plant the front foot and go.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What was Strauss thinking, ordering that Lords deck? What an embarrassment.

Not quite as bad as CA ordering those green decks a few years back.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
And doing well without one.

Hazelwood would be running riot on this deck under these skies.
Well he didn't and you still can't spell it and if you were up with things you would know that the wicket Strauss ordered for Lords got snookered by the English weather and it was too wet for the week leading up to the test for the groundsman to prepare what was ordered.

Well done England, an excellent day for them, especially Anderson. Hussain and Warne in UK commentary both agreed that no bowler in history relies on conditions as much as Anderson.

I expect we'll get the usual rant about foreign conditions and selections and lessons not learned in 2005 etc. The 2 Aussie batsmen with the most county experience are Rogers and Voges and it was not surprising that they batted the longest, albeit Voges, like 5 or 5 others was indecisive outside off. Short of more Aussies playing county cricket (won't happen as it is mostly the fringe players only who have the time to spend in county cricket) or coming to England for longer before tests (which won't happen as the ICC orders series to be played close together like us having to go to WI)) we will just have to cope and learn.

We'll see what happens today.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Well he didn't and you still can't spell it and if you were up with things you would know that the wicket Strauss ordered for Lords got snookered by the English weather and it was too wet for the week leading up to the test for the groundsman to prepare what was ordered.

Well done England, an excellent day for them, especially Anderson. Hussain and Warne in UK commentary both agreed that no bowler in history relies on conditions as much as Anderson.

I expect we'll get the usual rant about foreign conditions and selections and lessons not learned in 2005 etc. The 2 Aussie batsmen with the most county experience are Rogers and Voges and it was not surprising that they batted the longest, albeit Voges, like 5 or 5 others was indecisive outside off. Short of more Aussies playing county cricket (won't happen as it is mostly the fringe players only who have the time to spend in county cricket) or coming to England for longer before tests (which won't happen as the ICC orders series to be played close together like us having to go to WI)) we will just have to cope and learn.

We'll see what happens today.
The AFL thread needs a bump.

Oh by the way, what with the English weather doing in the lead up to this test?

Oh and I thought conditions don't matter. You changed your tune fast.

Last edited by Beoz; Jul 30th 2015 at 7:44 am.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

The AFL thread needs a bump.

Oh by the way, what with the English weather doing in the lead up to this test?

Oh and I thought conditions don't matter. You changed your tune fast.
Intelligent response.

Please quote me where I said conditions don't matter (they are one of a number of factors influencing the outcome).

I explained why your comment about Strauss ordering the pitch the groundsman could provide at Lords wasn't what was ordered and your comment was incorrect. That and Anderson being very reliant on conditions and you interpret that as conditions don't matter.

(highlighted sentence doesn't make sense) I guess you want to know it was pissing down for the days leading up to Lords and cool so the groundsman couldn't provide enough grass.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Intelligent response.

Please quote me where I said conditions don't matter (they are one of a number of factors influencing the outcome).

I explained why your comment about Strauss ordering the pitch the groundsman could provide at Lords wasn't what was ordered and your comment was incorrect. That and Anderson being very reliant on conditions and you interpret that as conditions don't matter.

(highlighted sentence doesn't make sense) I guess you want to know it was pissing down for the days leading up to Lords and cool so the groundsman couldn't provide enough grass.
Oh is that how it works. Right. I do enjoy winding you up about your lack of cricket knowledge. Its pure comedy.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it has to be said that the batting on both sides is a bit crap, but again its who has the better bowlers is the winner in this test. Perfect conditions for Hazelwood to stand up and show he could be the next GM - 3 wickets bowling that crap should have been 6 or 7. But he couldn't find the right line or length and Starc was just all over the shop. Again reliance on a Johnson over of power which just doesn't cut it. And Lyons tweaks.

On the flipside what the hell has happen to Steve Finn. Is he on drugs?
Old Jul 31st 2015, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it has to be said that the batting on both sides is a bit crap, but again its who has the better bowlers is the winner in this test. Perfect conditions for Hazelwood to stand up and show he could be the next GM - 3 wickets bowling that crap should have been 6 or 7. But he couldn't find the right line or length and Starc was just all over the shop. Again reliance on a Johnson over of power which just doesn't cut it. And Lyons tweaks.

On the flipside what the hell has happen to Steve Finn. Is he on drugs?
Could it also possibly be who has the worst batsmen Einstein? Cricket isn't just about bowlers. You predicted Hazlewood (type it out 100 times until you can spell it) would do wonders but you were wrong; you predicted Johnson wouldn't fire but he and Lyon were the pick of the bowlers clearly. Hazlewood is being asked to be the stock bowler and he's bowled probably twice the number of overs of Starc and Johnson for little more reward.

Ponting and Warne both said Starc is carrying a few niggles and he's not doing as well as they predicted. Warne thought a right armer (Siddle or Cummins) could be played at TB; Ponting thought must go with the 2 left fasties and Hazlewood.

It looks like Anderson is in doubt for TB and probably beyond but he, Finn and Broad have bowled very well this time.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 7:27 am
Beautiful Brisbane

joandpete1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking forward to a favourable conclusion hopefully we wont have to stay up too late to celebrate.
pete (pom in oz)
Old Jul 31st 2015, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You predicted Hazlewood (type it out 100 times until you can spell it) would do wonders but you were wrong; you predicted Johnson wouldn't fire but he and Lyon were the pick of the bowlers clearly. Hazlewood is being asked to be the stock bowler and he's bowled probably twice the number of overs of Starc and Johnson for little more reward.
This is comedy. You are out of your depth again tennis boy. You love stats - how did you miss this one. Not bad for a boy who can't hit the top of off stump.

Cricket Records | Records | The Ashes, 2015 | Most wickets | ESPN Cricinfo

Now a hundred lines for you.

Beoz is always right, Beoz only wanted Johnson to carry the drinks if Harris was playing in Cardiff, I will accept my loss, in fact my repeated losses, congratulate the victor, and be a better human being for the pleasure.

Its a long one but you deserve it.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 8:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This is comedy. You are out of your depth again tennis boy. You love stats - how did you miss this one. Not bad for a boy who can't hit the top of off stump.

Cricket Records | Records | The Ashes, 2015 | Most wickets | ESPN Cricinfo

Now a hundred lines for you.

Beoz is always right, Beoz only wanted Johnson to carry the drinks if Harris was playing in Cardiff, I will accept my loss, in fact my repeated losses, congratulate the victor, and be a better human being for the pleasure.

Its a long one but you deserve it.
Are you guys incapable of discussing anything without making it personal?
Old Jul 31st 2015, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Are you guys incapable of discussing anything without making it personal?
I'm trying to think up some tennis stories, unfortunately I have none.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:50 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Eng didn't do too badly, especially with some of that umpiring! Will be interesting to see if "Nevill The Cheat" is the Courierfail's front page headline tomorrow. We got him out four times in total and even then he reviewed the last one.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Eng didn't do too badly, especially with some of that umpiring! Will be interesting to see if "Nevill The Cheat" is the Courierfail's front page headline tomorrow. We got him out four times in total and even then he reviewed the last one.
That's because you uselessly waste your reviews. Your fault. You are to blame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.