Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by carcajou
That's very interesting - I knew essential workers were "exempt" but thought it was just to go from home to work to home. I did not realise that R & R trips to Perth qualified.

Do you have your own room are you bunking two to a room?
This is our point entirely, we have a room for each person on camp. Ideal for the separation they want us to achieve, if we go to Perth for a week we're putting ourselves and Perth residents at risk, and I don't get it. As I say I think there'll be an about turn within the next few days, some people have even said if you're flying me to Perth, fly me all the way home.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 2:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Meanwhile, in New Zealand, things are coming unstuck.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania...14-p54jkt.html
Hardly unstuck but interesting nonetheless.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Hardly unstuck but interesting nonetheless.
There are lots of well qualified voices emerging questioning government decisions. A bit like what's happening in the UK and the US.

I guess we are lucky in Australia. So far (things can change) all the decision makers have been largely united in their response.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Western Australia has recorded just one local case of COVID-19 for the fourth consecutive day. There were four cases total; three were from the cruise ship Artania.

Health Minister Roger Cook says attendance at COVID clinics was low over the holiday weekend and he is expecting increased demand this week.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 5:55 am
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

From Angus: Here are today's figures and also the second graph is the 'curve' for 4 of the Anglophone countries from March 20. Sorry NZ, didn't have the stats going back far enough.

Please skip these stats if not interested. We've been self-isolating for quite a while now -It’s my daily dose of sanity in an insane world at the moment and strengthens my resolve to keep myself isolated. It’s not just for my benefit, but for all our benefits and this shows what we’re doing is clearly and demonstrably working.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luthien

From Angus: Here are today's figures and also the second graph is the 'curve' for 4 of the Anglophone countries from March 20. Sorry NZ, didn't have the stats going back far enough.

Please skip these stats if not interested. We've been self-isolating for quite a while now -It’s my daily dose of sanity in an insane world at the moment and strengthens my resolve to keep myself isolated. It’s not just for my benefit, but for all our benefits and this shows what we’re doing is clearly and demonstrably working.
These are great.

Interestingly Canada and Australia were tracking similar through to the end of March then Canada just took off.

Also I read that they think Spain might be heading toward herd immunity by default.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...ents-1.5528726

Link from the CBC about Canada's slow response.

Basically it seems the Canadian Government and public service just went into denial about how bad it had the capacity to be, did not have any sense of urgency, lacked resolve to take extraordinary measures and there was some tsk-tsking among Trudeau's bureaucrats when Trump banned travelers who had been to China. At one point according to the CBC, the Canadian Government was disputing reports from China that the virus could be transmitted from person-to-person.

In contrast to the US response, which started strong but then got bogged down in bureaucratic in-fighting, poor leadership at multiple levels, and an unwillingness to replicate successful past models of pandemic suppression such as Obama's response to Ebola.

Canada also has a big land border with the US and I would bet infected Americans spread it there too, and Canadians coming to the US brought it back.

I think the Australian Government was just as slow off the blocks as everyone else, and it had the potential to run riot here - but we were bailed out by our geography, and our leaders did eventually "get it" before it got too late (albeit if just barely) and committed to getting on top of things.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luthien

Please do not think that I was including you in my rant about the quality of the forum. Your daily charts are indeed informative and I understand how they are helpful to everyone. What I was really referring to were the few people getting bogged down by throwing figures and stats at each other for political arguments sake. It was starting to get me down a bit. I appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to creating these charts for everyone.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
Please do not think that I was including you in my rant about the quality of the forum. Your daily charts are indeed informative and I understand how they are helpful to everyone. What I was really referring to were the few people getting bogged down by throwing figures and stats at each other for political arguments sake. It was starting to get me down a bit. I appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to creating these charts for everyone.
Just ignore the bits you don't want to read. I do.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...ents-1.5528726

Link from the CBC about Canada's slow response.

Basically it seems the Canadian Government and public service just went into denial about how bad it had the capacity to be, did not have any sense of urgency, lacked resolve to take extraordinary measures and there was some tsk-tsking among Trudeau's bureaucrats when Trump banned travelers who had been to China. At one point according to the CBC, the Canadian Government was disputing reports from China that the virus could be transmitted from person-to-person.

In contrast to the US response, which started strong but then got bogged down in bureaucratic in-fighting, poor leadership at multiple levels, and an unwillingness to replicate successful past models of pandemic suppression such as Obama's response to Ebola.

Canada also has a big land border with the US and I would bet infected Americans spread it there too, and Canadians coming to the US brought it back.

I think the Australian Government was just as slow off the blocks as everyone else, and it had the potential to run riot here - but we were bailed out by our geography, and our leaders did eventually "get it" before it got too late (albeit if just barely) and committed to getting on top of things.
Is the US / Canada border closed?

I find it hard to believe the UK didn't close Its borders to everything bit freight.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 10:13 am
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
Oh I understand - thanks . It's great to see any signs of a bipartisan approach to tackling the pandemic. The whole thing does get me down a bit too. I can;t take credit for the charts though - a friend of a friend puts them together everyday and I simply copy and paste. They cut through all the noise for me - especially the testing rates.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
Is the US / Canada border closed?

I find it hard to believe the UK didn't close Its borders to everything bit freight.
Yes, now; but it's a heavily trafficked border across almost its entire length, and a lot of damage was done before the closure.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 10:20 am
Excessively Diverted

I must admit I was very aware of the virus in December and January but lulled myself into a false sense of security that It would be contained within Asia .
My personal wake up call came when the Imperial College London released their advice to govt - I suspect it changed the UK's reliance on herd immunity and reading it was very alarming.
Also I was following the Facebook public profile of an epidemiologist called Dan Suan. His posts (look them up if you are interested, they are still public I think) really convinced me to take this seriously very early on, and begin self isolation.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell just happened to Singapore?

After a relatively good run, the % increase in cases just went through the roof, at least on the figures shown above. I don't know any details of their lockdown protocols per se, but had been under the impression that they had had a fairly successful response, to date...?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, now; but it's a heavily trafficked border across almost its entire length....
Not really. Roughly 10% of the crossing points account for 90% of the traffic (though that varies a bit on whether one measures the passage of freight vs people, and discounts air traffic altogether).

It's not so long ago (though definitely pre-9/11) that one could cross on a rural road from Quebec to Vermont, and encounter a polite sign mounted on a traffic cone, at the American border, indicating that the border guard was currently off-duty, and asking that any customs declarations be called in to the phone number on the sign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.