Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 13th 2020, 10:26 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz
They have seen a window of opportunity to go for eradicating the virus. Let's hope this opportunity is a success.
Their best window of opportunity was easter, and they blew it.

They are still talking about 'flattening the curve' and 'we're in it for the long term' - political parrots who are ludicrously slow at dealing with reality and think stale talking points replaces policy. Not one has seriously said they are looking at eradication, despite it being the only sane option they have.

And sure enough, they are already talking about increasing the GST. Talk about kicking an economy when it's already on the floor.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this thread has got back on track, good to hear everyone's stories on how they're coping. Ironically for me and my wife we've become closer than we've been for a fair while, and we're 5000 km apart. Our situation seems set to last for another couple of months at least, so we're not kidding ourselves that it'll be over soon. RDO today, not overly looking forward to it but 13 12 hour shifts on the bounce is the most we're allowed to do. They want to send us to Perth for a week off, and I'm not interested. As a work crew we've become pretty tight over the last few weeks and we'd all rather stay at work where at least we all check on each other. Fished out the R U OK wrist band, I don't think there's a better time to ask that question. A friend of mine lost his dad to covid 19 yesterday, so it's become much more real for his circle, it's such a shame that it takes something like that to get people to take it seriously. Stay safe all
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

They are still talking about 'flattening the curve' and 'we're in it for the long term' - political parrots who are ludicrously slow at dealing with reality and think stale talking points replaces policy. Not one has seriously said they are looking at eradication, despite it being the only sane option they have.

And sure enough, they are already talking about increasing the GST. Talk about kicking an economy when it's already on the floor.
Nobody 'blew' anything. Of course eradication is the goal of the government and the solution is 'long term'

Seriously, where do you get this nonsense from?
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard any of the usual suspects talk about flattening the curve for a week now. Maybe some random state leader somewhere.

I haven't heard them talk about eradication either but that's intentional - keep everyone from getting complacent

Reading between the lines, in NSW at least it looks like they think they may have a chance by mass testing hot spots and weeding out those with very mild symptoms.

What did they blow over Easter?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like Victoria are also expanding their testing, lowering the criteria and seeing if they are in a position to stamp it out.

The question is, have a bit of a sniffle, given they are moving the soldiers into a final attack position, does this mean I should get tested? I have been to Bunnings a lot.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 12:34 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

What did they blow over Easter?
Basically, Easter.

There was no better time to really clamp down by extending the break (when schools & companies would be closed anyway) and keeping people at home. Then you could exit the end of this week with zero new cases as the default, setting up for a relaxation at the end of the month. Now we might still get there, the new cases are very localised and traceable, but it was definitely an opportunity missed - probably the last one for a real shutdown.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 12:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Well this thread has got back on track, good to hear everyone's stories on how they're coping. Ironically for me and my wife we've become closer than we've been for a fair while, and we're 5000 km apart. Our situation seems set to last for another couple of months at least, so we're not kidding ourselves that it'll be over soon. RDO today, not overly looking forward to it but 13 12 hour shifts on the bounce is the most we're allowed to do. They want to send us to Perth for a week off, and I'm not interested. As a work crew we've become pretty tight over the last few weeks and we'd all rather stay at work where at least we all check on each other. Fished out the R U OK wrist band, I don't think there's a better time to ask that question. A friend of mine lost his dad to covid 19 yesterday, so it's become much more real for his circle, it's such a shame that it takes something like that to get people to take it seriously. Stay safe all
I thought the whole point was to keep perthites out of the country and the country out of Perth? Why are they now wanting to **** that up?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Basically, Easter.

There was no better time to really clamp down by extending the break (when schools & companies would be closed anyway) and keeping people at home. Then you could exit the end of this week with zero new cases as the default, setting up for a relaxation at the end of the month. Now we might still get there, the new cases are very localised and traceable, but it was definitely an opportunity missed - probably the last one for a real shutdown.
I guess you have to look at where the real infections come from. Workplaces seem to be a big one and many of those were shut over Easter. Family gatherings - it looks like many of those went ahead anyway which were illegal. Full lockdown isn't going to stop illegal activity.

Not sure how changing any of the current rules would have limited what people are doing. The UK is in full lock down and plenty went to the beach there.

Cancelling Easter all together may have been the only way forward. Keep people in the routine which seem to be having an effect. I guess we will find out over the next week.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 12:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I guess you have to look at where the real infections come from. Workplaces seem to be a big one and many of those were shut over Easter. Family gatherings - it looks like many of those went ahead anyway which were illegal. Full lockdown isn't going to stop illegal activity.
That cluster at the Tasmanian hospital? An 'illegal' dinner party of medical workers, 49 people it suggests, causing the lock down of 5000 people.

I'm thinking that anything that requires people 'don't do stupid' is going to progressively get less effective over time - people get sick of staying at home.

Cancelling Easter all together may have been the only way forward. Keep people in the routine which seem to be having an effect. I guess we will find out over the next week.
Kind of my point. If you tell everyone they aren't allowed out their door, for anything, for two weeks, you can police it much easier than the current situation. Hopefully the limited approach will still work ...
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That cluster at the Tasmanian hospital? An 'illegal' dinner party of medical workers, 49 people it suggests, causing the lock down of 5000 people.

I'm thinking that anything that requires people 'don't do stupid' is going to progressively get less effective over time - people get sick of staying at home.

Kind of my point. If you tell everyone they aren't allowed out their door, for anything, for two weeks, you can police it much easier than the current situation. Hopefully the limited approach will still work ...
But isn't the evidence telling you targeted lockdown is having the same effect as full lockdown for a low case load like Australia?

Dinner parties are illegal today under targeted lockdown? Unless of course its with your household. What makes it worse, these are medical professionals. Given these guys are on the front line of knowing the risks and have intentionally flouted the rules, no amount of lock down is going to prevent such behaviour.

That 5 dollar note keeps doing the rounds at these events.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 14th 2020 at 1:13 am.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:22 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

But isn't the evidence telling you targeted lockdown is having the same effect as full lockdown for a low case load like Australia?

Dinner parties are illegal today under targeted lockdown? Unless of course its with your household. What makes it worse, these are medical professionals. Given these guys are on the front line of knowing the risks and have intentionally flouted the rules, no amount of lock down is going to prevent such behaviour.
Point was, their window for doing a full lockdown to push the case number to zero is running out. Scroll forward to May and even if they called one, many would just ignore it. Hence why I said they had squandered the opportunity.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Point was, their window for doing a full lockdown to push the case number to zero is running out. Scroll forward to May and even if they called one, many would just ignore it. Hence why I said they had squandered the opportunity.
We don't want a full lockdown. We are trying everything to avoid the implications a full lockdown brings. In full lockdown, Steve E can't even work in mines. That's what a full lockdown is.

The numbers are heading in the direction that a full lockdown is a pointless exercise. NZ can't even get zero with their full lockdown. What are the benefits?

Why are you pushing so hard on a full lockdown when its never been needed to this point nor proven to get to zero and quicker than targeted lockdown?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I thought the whole point was to keep perthites out of the country and the country out of Perth? Why are they now wanting to **** that up?
Yeah I agree, but essential workers are exempt. We're mainly upset 2 fold, 1 we'll be stuck in Perth on our own, no family AND no workmates, and 2 we're pretty safe up here, why introduce another risk if you don't need to. I think it'll change to be honest, and probably from a mental welfare angle, I hope so cos that would drive me round the bend
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meanwhile, in New Zealand, things are coming unstuck.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania...14-p54jkt.html
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Yeah I agree, but essential workers are exempt. We're mainly upset 2 fold, 1 we'll be stuck in Perth on our own, no family AND no workmates, and 2 we're pretty safe up here, why introduce another risk if you don't need to. I think it'll change to be honest, and probably from a mental welfare angle, I hope so cos that would drive me round the bend
That's very interesting - I knew essential workers were "exempt" but thought it was just to go from home to work to home. I did not realise that R & R trips to Perth qualified.

Do you have your own room are you bunking two to a room?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.