Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BWS are still delivering alcohol so I can survive between shifts!! I admit to having a large pre--lockdown stash of loo paper as I need the hypoallergenic stuff which is often hard to find so I buy that in normal circumstances whenever I see it As for food, I have been rationing myself to one meal a day when off-shift to avoid having to spend my day off sat on the floor in a shopping centre.
Thinking outside the box is good - all these food kit services have special sign up offers - would never pay full price but with some mix & match a cheap HelloFresh order can be used for decent meals! Cheese companies in Tassie are selling by mail, not too pricey and its great cheese Chemist Warehouse & Pharmacy Direct etc deliver to the door, and ebay is an endless source for a multitude of stuff.
Alcohol, good cheese and loo paper, all the essentials of a good life Not too crazy about you having to ration the amount you eat when you're off work though, is it not possible to get a 'priority' (or whatever it's called) supermarket delivery as an essential worker?
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Sparkles, I'm glad to hear that you still have your job and the company looks like it'll survive I hope young Sparks is doing ok.

Things are pretty crook in the UK right now aren't they, it's hard not to worry about your family and friends. I tried to get online grocery deliveries to the in-laws in Liverpool, both early 70s with some health problems, but it was impossible. They're ok now, one of their daughters has been furloughed so is getting them whatever they need. She said the 80% wage subsidy is working out fine for her, she spends a lot on transport to get to work so there's not much difference in the amount she gets now. Bit of a blessing really because she can take care of her mum and dad.
Bad news / good news then for the in-laws and hopefully the daughter will have work once this is over - whenever that will be.

I think that things will definitely get worse in the UK before they get better - does not look good for the next few weeks
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

You shouldn't feel bad about cancelling the kids' lessons, we all have to what we can to balance the finances. It'll be something for them to look forward to when things ease up a bit
That's a good way to think of it! I'm encouraging them to make some videos of the music they make together, hopefully somebody will think they are the next Gallagher brothers and finance the dream 😂
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hope they all come through ok.

My sister and her family are all very close-knit, which is just as well with 2 girls in their 20s, locked in the house with their parents and now jobless and penniless. My mum (mid 80s, very high risk with chest and heart issues) is just downthe road, hasn't been out for weeks, the local cafe are doing food deliveries to her, and even wait to check she comes out to collect the food ok. Sister and family pop round and cht from a distance over the back fence and level suppies for her to take in. Tis a worrying situation though.
And my best friend (anyone remember Bernieboy?) is a nurse in an intensive care ward. That scares me witless.
Who can forget Bernieboy he has enough PPE. Is he still doing neonatal?
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
That's a good way to think of it! I'm encouraging them to make some videos of the music they make together, hopefully somebody will think they are the next Gallagher brothers and finance the dream 😂
There are some sites offering free online classes / video tutorials. My grandson just got a guitar for his birthday so if Google doesn't find them, I'll ask my daughter
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol, good cheese and loo paper, all the essentials of a good life Not too crazy about you having to ration the amount you eat when you're off work though, is it not possible to get a 'priority' (or whatever it's called) supermarket delivery as an essential worker?
No, only the elderly and vulnerable.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not starving myself, but I'm not allowing myself to snack, am keeping close eye on the actual meals I have. Not letting myself fall into the "opening fridge when bored" bracket, which is tough when I sometimes have 3-4 days between shifts
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Bad news / good news then for the in-laws and hopefully the daughter will have work once this is over - whenever that will be.

I think that things will definitely get worse in the UK before they get better - does not look good for the next few weeks
It's scary Sparkles. PPE needs to be sorted out yesterday.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:31 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
Love the optimism
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:32 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Who can forget Bernieboy he has enough PPE. Is he still doing neonatal?
Yes, still neonates at present, so at least he is not nursing COVID patients. Has to travel across London though, which is also aworry as he has to use the train
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:32 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm not starving myself, but I'm not allowing myself to snack, am keeping close eye on the actual meals I have. Not letting myself fall into the "opening fridge when bored" bracket, which is tough when I sometimes have 3-4 days between shifts
I need to be isolated from my fridge - this staying at home is not good for my diet

If I'm not bored, then I'm procrastinating and both result in snacking
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:33 am

Yes, still neonates at present, so at least he is not nursing COVID patients. Has to travel across London though, which is also aworry as he has to use the train
Hopefully that's a lot less crowded than normal. Tell him to take care
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:33 am
Concierge

As long as you have enough to eat, then that's ok. Yes to the lure of the fridge when we're stuck at home, the struggle is real!
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:44 am
Home and Happy

I need to be isolated from my fridge - this staying at home is not good for my diet

If I'm not bored, then I'm procrastinating and both result in snacking
As long as you have enough to eat, then that's ok. Yes to the lure of the fridge when we're stuck at home, the struggle is real!
I have a sign on mine - "Remember you cannot replace what you eat"

Hopefully that's a lot less crowded than normal. Tell him to take care
I will Thanks!
Old Apr 13th 2020, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some sites offering free online classes / video tutorials. My grandson just got a guitar for his birthday so if Google doesn't find them, I'll ask my daughter
Thank you for that idea. Actually they are pretty good already, they've both been playing since they were 8 (They are 13 and 14 now) and were sort of child prodigies. I suppose I could get them to upload their own tutorials 🤔 I am very desperate to monetise their skills if anyone else has guessed 😂😂

As for food in the fridge, my lot are making good work on the supplies. A lady at work gave me some pasta the other day so I was able to cook their favourite spaghetti Bolognese for the first time in ages 🙈 who'd have thought that spag bol would become a delicacy 😂
Old Apr 13th 2020, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

7 new cases in NSW. Low testing numbers due to Easter.

They are focusing on a few select regions, to get everyone tested who has the mildest of symptoms. They are really ramping up contact tracing.

They have seen a window of opportunity to go for eradicating the virus. Let's hope this opportunity is a success.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.