Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 13th 2020, 8:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
yes I agree- it seems like some people cope by shouting down the opinions of others as quickly as they can. I guess it must make them feel better...
considering that the op was enquiring as to people's well being, absolutely agree. There are very few posts on this part of the forum that don't descent into kissing contests though, it's a shame really. How are you going?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Apr 13th 2020 at 8:29 am.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

yes I agree- it seems like some people cope by shouting down the opinions of others as quickly as they can. I guess it must make them feel better...
Yes just like in post 474.

If you would like to talk about how you are coping or shooting the breeze about a topic related, go for it.

I played golf again this morning. That's 7 times in the past week and a half. Sadly my game is getting worse. That's not the way it's supposed to work. It seems I am better of playing once a year.

Old Apr 13th 2020, 8:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Anyone sick? Everyone well? Anyone stressed? Anyone care?!

Now that grass-roots AFL has been cancelled, the Auskick centre I help out at has pushed back the start of the season until the end of May at the earliest. My 8yo has had all his other extra-curricular activities cancelled for now too. He's taking it really well.

I've struck lucky financially. I was worried about the potential of being put into lock-down and having to buy extra shopping on Newstart allowance. I'm on a really tight budget as it is, but two PPI claims back home have come good. I've received £1000 so far, which I have transferred over here into $. Most welcome I still have two claims outstanding that I'm hoping won't get too delayed by coronavirus, and should be for much more.

Stay we'll y'all
Hope all is still going well with you

Still working here, and going into work as my work can't be done remotely. Some products are quiet, and some are busier than normal, so think we'll weather this storm

Uni has gone remote and I'm not so happy with that but I'll get over it. And some of the restrictions on shopping are a pain - can't get all we need in one visit so having to shop two or three times a week.

Probably most worried about family in the UK. My niece's boyfriend and his parent's have had it. A cleaner where my daughter works is in hospital with it. Three other staff / students where she is have it as well as some of their family members. A good friend and ex-colleague has it fairly badly, and his wife has it too. Sum total - I know of eleven people in the UK who have or had C19 and as far as I know, only one has been tested and that was the cleaner admitted to hospital.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
I agree with you. People are stressed enough, why cause more grief. We should pull together and help each other through the uncertainty.

I've been on this forum for over a decade (despite being Australian) and seen the decline of helpful and funny stuff being posted. A lot of posters got fed up with the constant negativity and left.

Let's turn this around. So how are you doing?
I'm doing ok thank you. I've lost a lot of hours at work but in a weird way it's been good because I'm spending lots of quality time with my family. I started work the same week I arrived 2 years ago and have not really had much time off since so this forced holiday has been great 😂 Lots of eating, board games and video games, and reminding myself there is lots to be thankful for when so many are struggling.

How are you doing? I got the sort of gist from your earlier post that you are a teacher? How are you getting on with all the online stuff? I'm a kindy teacher so no online for me 😂
Old Apr 13th 2020, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing ok thank you. I've lost a lot of hours at work but in a weird way it's been good because I'm spending lots of quality time with my family. I started work the same week I arrived 2 years ago and have not really had much time off since so this forced holiday has been great 😂 Lots of eating, board games and video games, and reminding myself there is lots to be thankful for when so many are struggling.

How are you doing? I got the sort of gist from your earlier post that you are a teacher? How are you getting on with all the online stuff? I'm a kindy teacher so no online for me 😂
Great to hear you're doing okay.

We are doing the same, barbecues, board games, listening to music.

I work in admin for two music schools. We have students from 6 months and converting to online for the early childhood classes has been tricky but we're all doing our best to make it work. A lot of stay at home mum's use their children's extra curricular activities as a way to stay in touch with other people. The parents have been really supportive about giving online a go as they're keen to support small businesses. Fortunately our Director is quite attractive and charismatic so mum's are keen to still see him, even if it's virtually. 🤣
Old Apr 13th 2020, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Western Australia has published some traffic road counts from Good Friday:

FORREST HIGHWAY (road to Bunbury and the South West):
2020 - 2,015
2019 - 22,280

INDIAN OCEAN DRIVE (road to Jurien Bay and Geraldton):
2020 - 471
2019 - 5,301

So, a 90.1% drop in road traffic on Good Friday out of Perth (though, it wasn't clarified if this was outbound traffic, or two-way traffic).

BUT from the regional perspective it's a double-edged issue - stopping the traffic out of Perth is one thing, but also regional people slipping into Perth for the long weekend and then coming back is the other shoe. Great news if this is two-way traffic.

Anecdotally, and I hope these aren't famous last words that I'm typing, West Australians seem to mostly be doing the right thing. I haven't come across talk of packed beaches in the regions or loud house parties over the weekend, and certainly traffic near me is down quite a bit. I think the penny dropped here when the regional lockdowns were announced. Since then - I'm on a very large property on a quiet road, but still a road that gets a truck or car or caravan coming by every few minutes - since regional lockdown though, I can walk along my boundary fence to the end and back (about a 20 minute walk) without a single vehicle going by and thensome. The Gray Nomad hire caravans that a few weeks ago were ignoring restrictions and continuing holidays, and causing so much angst at the local government and shire council level, to the point that the state government was asked to intervene to help get them out, have gone. I think I've seen one in the past 2 weeks. Local hotels and b and b's near me are empty. Most are run by locals and voluntarily closed a few weeks ago.

Even though everyone is well aware how much economically it is hurting, there is significant peer and social pressure in the regions to comply with lockdown restrictions to get the situation under control.

Only one case that was not cruise ship related, each day for three days in a row.

Different circumstances here than over East, Beoz mentioned that lots of people went away in NSW, the NSW police commissioner was saying the same thing in the media this morning.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 13th 2020 at 10:02 am.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Great to hear you're doing okay.

We are doing the same, barbecues, board games, listening to music.

I work in admin for two music schools. We have students from 6 months and converting to online for the early childhood classes has been tricky but we're all doing our best to make it work. A lot of stay at home mum's use their children's extra curricular activities as a way to stay in touch with other people. The parents have been really supportive about giving online a go as they're keen to support small businesses. Fortunately our Director is quite attractive and charismatic so mum's are keen to still see him, even if it's virtually. 🤣
My two lads do guitar lessons and they asked if we wanted to switch to online. I feel awful to say that we said we'd just wait till things open up again. Not that we didn't think the lessons would be worth it but financially things are just too tight for us at the moment. It's nice to hear that so many are keeping up with the lessons tho, it is definitely really worth it. As soon as it reopens we will find the money from somewhere and start them back up again
Old Apr 13th 2020, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

Still working here, and going into work as my work can't be done remotely. Some products are quiet, and some are busier than normal, so think we'll weather this storm

Uni has gone remote and I'm not so happy with that but I'll get over it. And some of the restrictions on shopping are a pain - can't get all we need in one visit so having to shop two or three times a week.

Probably most worried about family in the UK. My niece's boyfriend and his parent's have had it. A cleaner where my daughter works is in hospital with it. Three other staff / students where she is have it as well as some of their family members. A good friend and ex-colleague has it fairly badly, and his wife has it too. Sum total - I know of eleven people in the UK who have or had C19 and as far as I know, only one has been tested and that was the cleaner admitted to hospital.
Wishing your family speedy recoveries. Fingers crossed none of my family or friends have come down with it as of yet, but I'm very anxious about it- the situation is very sketchy back home, they clearly dont have a good handle on things there do they?
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am very interested to hear from Pollyana. Have you managed to sort your problems out getting your groceries?
She still has grog and managed to find loo paper so I think she's good. 😀
BWS are still delivering alcohol so I can survive between shifts!! I admit to having a large pre--lockdown stash of loo paper as I need the hypoallergenic stuff which is often hard to find so I buy that in normal circumstances whenever I see it As for food, I have been rationing myself to one meal a day when off-shift to avoid having to spend my day off sat on the floor in a shopping centre.
Thinking outside the box is good - all these food kit services have special sign up offers - would never pay full price but with some mix & match a cheap HelloFresh order can be used for decent meals! Cheese companies in Tassie are selling by mail, not too pricey and its great cheese Chemist Warehouse & Pharmacy Direct etc deliver to the door, and ebay is an endless source for a multitude of stuff.

As far as the wider world goes - we are still working from HQ, they want the Qld disaster centre manned as long as possible, though they have warned people to say if they have any symptoms, want to work from home etc. We are still dealing with severe weather events, house fires, grass fires etc, the normal work of emergency services gues on regardless. We were originally warned this heightened state of affairs could go on till October/November, and apart from one optimistic 25 year old who has booked himself a trip to Canada in November everyone else has cancelled any leave for up to a year ahead. I'm certainly not expecting to see home for the next 3-4 years. The word on the street is such that when anyone mentions going abroad we get shot down in flames and told that is the way to finish the country off. Personally I fear even interstate border restrictions could be here to stay, never mind the way they want to control us going abroad.
Starting to hate the racist attitude which is surfacing in many places here - like the comment I got today that everyone in the UK "would soon be dead " because its those "dirty immigrants you keep letting in, they don't get it themselves, they just spread it to everyone else"- this guy has long said that all migration to Aus should be stopped and we should all be sent home, now he is going one step further and he is a supposedly well-educated bloke
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My two lads do guitar lessons and they asked if we wanted to switch to online. I feel awful to say that we said we'd just wait till things open up again. Not that we didn't think the lessons would be worth it but financially things are just too tight for us at the moment. It's nice to hear that so many are keeping up with the lessons tho, it is definitely really worth it. As soon as it reopens we will find the money from somewhere and start them back up again
You shouldn't feel bad about cancelling the kids' lessons, we all have to what we can to balance the finances. It'll be something for them to look forward to when things ease up a bit
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why people are trying their best to argue with what you are saying. I understood perfectly that you were saying that the stance we are currently taking is the correct one, in support of exactly what everyone on here is saying!

Honestly, I feel a bit disappointed by this forum. As a British expat not long in Australia (only 2 years) I've been feeling very anxious about the family I've left behind in England and how of my current situation here for myself and family. I reached out to this forum to find out how other people were coping and try and get some comfort from like-minded people. All I've read so far is politics, arguing and stats- the post is entitled "how is evergone doing?" for goodness sakes! I feel like the initial sentiment of the post has gone awry and it feels like there is a real lack of compassion on here (from the perspective of a newbie).

I would like to hear how people are coping mentally, financially, physically? Is everyone doing ok? How are people spending their days? Etc etc.
Sadly many thread on here in the last few years have disintegrated for exactly the reasons you mention With peope now turning to the internet more I'm hoping this could be the saving of the Barbie, as long as we stick it out anddon't rise to the bait of the constant arguments of left v right, Perth v Sydney etc

Lets make the Aus forum the supportive place it used to be
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sadly many thread on here in the last few years have disintegrated for exactly the reasons you mention With peope now turning to the internet more I'm hoping this could be the saving of the Barbie, as long as we stick it out anddon't rise to the bait of the constant arguments of left v right, Perth v Sydney etc

Lets make the Aus forum the supportive place it used to be
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sparkles, I'm glad to hear that you still have your job and the company looks like it'll survive I hope young Sparks is doing ok.

Things are pretty crook in the UK right now aren't they, it's hard not to worry about your family and friends. I tried to get online grocery deliveries to the in-laws in Liverpool, both early 70s with some health problems, but it was impossible. They're ok now, one of their daughters has been furloughed so is getting them whatever they need. She said the 80% wage subsidy is working out fine for her, she spends a lot on transport to get to work so there's not much difference in the amount she gets now. Bit of a blessing really because she can take care of her mum and dad.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

Hope they all come through ok.

My sister and her family are all very close-knit, which is just as well with 2 girls in their 20s, locked in the house with their parents and now jobless and penniless. My mum (mid 80s, very high risk with chest and heart issues) is just downthe road, hasn't been out for weeks, the local cafe are doing food deliveries to her, and even wait to check she comes out to collect the food ok. Sister and family pop round and cht from a distance over the back fence and level suppies for her to take in. Tis a worrying situation though.
And my best friend (anyone remember Bernieboy?) is a nurse in an intensive care ward. That scares me witless.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 13th 2020 at 11:25 am.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BWS are still delivering alcohol so I can survive between shifts!! I admit to having a large pre--lockdown stash of loo paper as I need the hypoallergenic stuff which is often hard to find so I buy that in normal circumstances whenever I see it As for food, I have been rationing myself to one meal a day when off-shift to avoid having to spend my day off sat on the floor in a shopping centre.
Thinking outside the box is good - all these food kit services have special sign up offers - would never pay full price but with some mix & match a cheap HelloFresh order can be used for decent meals! Cheese companies in Tassie are selling by mail, not too pricey and its great cheese Chemist Warehouse & Pharmacy Direct etc deliver to the door, and ebay is an endless source for a multitude of stuff.

As far as the wider world goes - we are still working from HQ, they want the Qld disaster centre manned as long as possible, though they have warned people to say if they have any symptoms, want to work from home etc. We are still dealing with severe weather events, house fires, grass fires etc, the normal work of emergency services gues on regardless. We were originally warned this heightened state of affairs could go on till October/November, and apart from one optimistic 25 year old who has booked himself a trip to Canada in November everyone else has cancelled any leave for up to a year ahead. I'm certainly not expecting to see home for the next 3-4 years. The word on the street is such that when anyone mentions going abroad we get shot down in flames and told that is the way to finish the country off. Personally I fear even interstate border restrictions could be here to stay, never mind the way they want to control us going abroad.
Starting to hate the racist attitude which is surfacing in many places here - like the comment I got today that everyone in the UK "would soon be dead " because its those "dirty immigrants you keep letting in, they don't get it themselves, they just spread it to everyone else"- this guy has long said that all migration to Aus should be stopped and we should all be sent home, now he is going one step further and he is a supposedly well-educated bloke
Really glad to hear that you are managing to get some things delivered to you in various forms 😂

Thankfully I haven't heard any outright racist comments as of yet. As people become more tense and fed up they start looking to blame others and I suspect people's nastiness will come out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.