Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 6th 2020, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have to be able to show you are registered disabled or elderly to get it online at present - I'm not, Ijust walk very slowly and can't stand for long.
Our shopping centre has removed all seting from the food court area and the free internet terminal area, as well as the odd seats that were scattered around. There is literally nowhere to sit. I saw an old lady in tears last week because she had done her shopping and just wante a sidown before she walked home. Totally stupid move to take every seat away.
We have volunteers doing older people's shopping etc for them and also the shops have an over a certain "age" slots which is a good idea and certain taxis and volunteers are giving free lifts to the shops..is there anything like that in your area?
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We have volunteers doing older people's shopping etc for them and also the shops have an over a certain "age" slots which is a good idea and certain taxis and volunteers are giving free lifts to the shops..is there anything like that in your area?
I've got an 80yr old that is recovering from open heart surgery on one side of me. Opposite is a guy who functions on half a lung, he's early 70's. Down the street one house is my good friend and fire brigade colleague, he's just had a pacemaker fitted and is in declining health. I'd love to help them out with shopping but as a kinship carer looking after four small children I can't buy enough food to last us a week, never mind picking up supplies for elderly sick neighbors. Two tins of anything per visit ffs regardless of whether it's beans, spaghetti, tomatoes, rice pudding or soup. Currently instead of a big monthly shop we're over exposing ourselves every two days just to buy basics. No distinction made between a single student or a family of 6.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've got an 80yr old that is recovering from open heart surgery on one side of me. Opposite is a guy who functions on half a lung, he's early 70's. Down the street one house is my good friend and fire brigade colleague, he's just had a pacemaker fitted and is in declining health. I'd love to help them out with shopping but as a kinship carer looking after four small children I can't buy enough food to last us a week, never mind picking up supplies for elderly sick neighbors. Two tins of anything per visit ffs regardless of whether it's beans, spaghetti, tomatoes, rice pudding or soup. Currently instead of a big monthly shop we're over exposing ourselves every two days just to buy basics. No distinction made between a single student or a family of 6.
2 tins in total is ridiculous. I was in Kalamunda Coles yesterday and was told it was 10 tins in total (I had 8). I've noticed that in recent days, toilet roll, kitchen paper, all meat and chicken is now available throughout the day. Still never any pasta or much rice on sale though. I've ordered a pasta machine online and am going to make my own
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading something the other day about this $10k you can draw out of your super (and $10k next year):
Take the $10k out
Put $10k into your super fund and pay 15% tax on it
Claim the $10k as a concessional contribution on your tax return, meaning your income is reduced and you will get a tax refund. For most people this will be about $1500-$2500
Something along these lines anyway
This is entirely legal

This is assuming that you don't actually need the $10k in order to live. If so please ignore
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
2 tins in total is ridiculous. I was in Kalamunda Coles yesterday and was told it was 10 tins in total (I had 8). I've noticed that in recent days, toilet roll, kitchen paper, all meat and chicken is now available throughout the day. Still never any pasta or much rice on sale though. I've ordered a pasta machine online and am going to make my own
I was surprised when I found out Coles weren't making a harsher limit on tins. Normally Coles and Woolies fall into sync with each other.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I was surprised when I found out Coles weren't making a harsher limit on tins. Normally Coles and Woolies fall into sync with each other.
The lady who serving me was saying that they get confused about what is allowed as it changes constantly. Their checkouts won't allow them to scan more than what is permissible. I've noticed that Aldi don't have as severe restrictions as Colesworth. Same for Spudshed
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I got buzzed at the till a few weeks ago when I tried to buy a third box of Corn Flakes. They made me put one back.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I got buzzed at the till a few weeks ago when I tried to buy a third box of Corn Flakes. They made me put one back.
Should have told them I'd said you could have my share. I can see some sort of bartering system happening at the check outs.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 1:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloke at work phoned in sick this morning. After a tense few minutes it transpired that he was vomiting all night so at worst it's ebola. Phew
Old Apr 7th 2020, 2:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Fascinating and scary at the same time.

https://gifscool.com/otros/grafica-d...uera-de-china/
Old Apr 7th 2020, 2:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

accompanied by some astrology bs and boner cream ads , seems legit .
Old Apr 7th 2020, 2:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
accompanied by some astrology bs and boner cream ads , seems legit .
Oh I ignored all that. I just found it interesting to see the move up the table. I don't even know if the numbers were correct. Little things etc.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it was targeted at my surfing habits but what's with the gifs a little further down the page?
Old Apr 7th 2020, 4:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Ours have health care workers hour on Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 8 am. Sounds great, but the vast majority of health care workers are actually at work at 7 or 8 am.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 5:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Ours have health care workers hour on Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 8 am. Sounds great, but the vast majority of health care workers are actually at work at 7 or 8 am.
I like the Adopt a Health Worker project going on in Oz, started by a Perth man. People have been volunteering to walk their dogs, get shopping in for them etc.
https://anmj.org.au/adopt-a-healthca...ring-covid-19/
Here's the Facebook page for the WA one https://www.facebook.com/groups/666739964088379/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.