Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Is that because he has been in Hubei province? From what I can see the only place reporting new cases in China is up near the Russian border. Since Hubei is only just re-emerging slowly from total lockdown and has very few, if any new cases it should be pretty clear right?

Or are you saying test everyone? Given returning travellers are being impounded for 2 weeks (maybe it should be 3 weeks) is a test needed if they aren't sick and don't need it confirmed for medical treatment?
It should be three weeks. QLD borders being closed I think anyone coming in should be tested. (Ignoring the fact that a load of us are crossing the border daily). Carl is possibly 'safer' than most but considering the mash up NSW have made of letting COVID 'escape' through stupidity, I don't see a problem with testing everyone coming in from overseas.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The Western Australia Department of Health has announced that the Great Southern region of the state is now "virus-free" and no longer has active cases.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It should be three weeks. QLD borders being closed I think anyone coming in should be tested. (Ignoring the fact that a load of us are crossing the border daily). Carl is possibly 'safer' than most but considering the mash up NSW have made of letting COVID 'escape' through stupidity, I don't see a problem with testing everyone coming in from overseas.
Probably 3 weeks. Not something The Bloke will want to hear.

I am not sure stopping people coming from NSW to Queensland is really going to have much effect these days. After Queensland declaring it was the eradication kings yesterday they scored 6 new cases today, the same as NSW.

Its a bit like Tasmania when it said to the rest of the world, bugger off, we don't want your lurgy, we are having a lock in. Now the rest of the world should be cutting itself off to them with their doctors and nurses party lurgy running rampant in the north east.

Now in Australia the biggest form of transmission seems to come from hospitals.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Looks like they've changed the rules again from last week and only just updated the websites today because it was different on Sunday when I read it.
The problem with that is if your not tested, especially from entering the country and you're asymptomatic, you could be a ticking time bomb, as seen by a person who returned from overseas last week and was "cleared" by NSW, (guess with inadequate testing) and found to be actually positive on their return to Queensland on board a fully loaded aircraft. After being in China, I'm very sceptical about the way things have been handled, because believe me they are very paranoid and skittish about people returning from different areas. 14 days, at least 3 or more tests conducted in that timeframe, personal visits from medics twice a day for temperature and welfare checks.
he temperature check is their biggest indicator, anything over 37.8 degrees and they sometimes do a verification check with the old style thermometer under the armpit. Trust me explicitly on that.
While I do understand the feeling about testing everyone who comes in, I really would not be holding up China as an exemplar on how to handle this.

If you want a test, jump up and down and demand one. You will get one.

Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Not coronavirus related but this little clacfart is 4 months old now! Just 2 months away from applying for PR..... he looks a little fed up because it was immunisations day

Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The part I find strange is that because he will have spent 2 weeks in a Sydney hotel, when he flies to Queensland he does not have to do the 2 weeks self isolation (friends who came in from the US last week proved this is the case).\\
So he gets released from his hotel, spends a night in anther hotel while waiting fr a scheduled flight to Brisbane, disembarks in Brisbane, shows his NSW clearance and is then free to rejoin the community = who knows who else is on the flight/in the airports/in any part of Sydney he goes to while waiting 24 hours for the flight?
However, he can always choose to self isolate when he gets here, and I'm sureif he kicks up enough about being in Hubei he could get a test somehow. .
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Anyone sick? Everyone well? Anyone stressed? Anyone care?
I'm almost embarrassed to say that our household has been little affected, after some initial worries that it would be worse. I'm apparently "essential", so I've kept working externally throughout the crisis. My wife's job transitioned to home after some minor and understandable tech glitches, and now she never wants to go back to her old CBD office environment (not sure if that might become an option in the longer term). Our youngest is still in school, and so now in "distance learning", and I've frankly been impressed at how rapidly and how well the school--and our child--has adapted to the change in circumstances.

Amongst our wider circle of family and friends, there are certainly those who are being hit by the economic impacts of the lockdown, to one degree or another, but nobody in this wider circle has been directly impacted by the virus itself [knock wood], so we all count ourselves fortunate for that...

We're pretty good at social distancing externally, but within the family, we've remained huggers--it's difficult to resist an tweener who needs reassurance ;-) --so if one of us gets it, we probably all will. But so be it.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The part I find strange is that because he will have spent 2 weeks in a Sydney hotel, when he flies to Queensland he does not have to do the 2 weeks self isolation (friends who came in from the US last week proved this is the case).\\
So he gets released from his hotel, spends a night in anther hotel while waiting fr a scheduled flight to Brisbane, disembarks in Brisbane, shows his NSW clearance and is then free to rejoin the community = who knows who else is on the flight/in the airports/in any part of Sydney he goes to while waiting 24 hours for the flight?
However, he can always choose to self isolate when he gets here, and I'm sureif he kicks up enough about being in Hubei he could get a test somehow. .
Like schools, there has been very little evidence of transmission of COVID19 on flights. The aircon systems on planes are very good removing bugs. The arm rests are a bit of a petri dish.

If he were going to a nightclub, nursing home, hospital, or cruise ship, between the impoundment and Brisbane there may be a point, but taxi to hotel to taxi to airport to plane to Brisbane, normal social distancing and a bit of hand sanitizer should get him and everyone else through.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Mum will be discharged this morning and will have two visits a day from Silver Chain. My son's in there for the long haul I think, lots of tests to be done plus he's on steroid infusions.

RPH infection protocols are good. On arrival in the lobby I give my name, DOB, phone number, name of son and his ward number, and am asked screening questions. All is recorded so I can be contacted in the event of possible contact with someone with covid-19. I'm given an authorisation to be in the hospital for one hour, which I have to display at all times.
When I get to the ward I have to sign in and sign out. They're doing it properly.
Though there was one case at RPH yesterday, do not let this trouble you - easier said then done I am aware.

I believe the government has a good handle on how it is spreading and knows what it is looking for. The RPH staffer was already in isolation. What happened in Tasmania, will not happen here.

Good luck. I hope your mother is already back home and resting comfortably.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 7:03 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

3 weeks of personal nirvana left.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 7:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Mine ends next week

Things getting back to 'normal' unfortunately
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I decided to roll the dice and went to get a haircut yesterday. A few salons in neighbouring towns have started to re-open.

Stopped in at a few regionally famous shops. There was only one other shopper in one, and four in another. So empty that I remarked to staff how jarring it was, because every other time I come in, it's packed.

Saw a cop approach three ladies who were walking their dogs and not socially distancing.

One restaurant owner told me he's doing good - everyone living around his shop is staying at home, bored, and so ordering delivery and because his sit-down section is closed he's cut staff. Others have told me it's really hurting. They are getting some busy nights but the quiet nights are that much quieter - one owner of a generally busy place has told me she's had nights with zero customers.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 10:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Though there was one case at RPH yesterday, do not let this trouble you - easier said then done I am aware.

I believe the government has a good handle on how it is spreading and knows what it is looking for. The RPH staffer was already in isolation. What happened in Tasmania, will not happen here.

Good luck. I hope your mother is already back home and resting comfortably.
Thanks Mum's home safely, she's really well. Son likely to be in RPH for some time, the MS diagnosis now appears certain. He'll be transferred to Fiona Stanley rehab once he's well enough.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 10:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks Mum's home safely, she's really well. Son likely to be in RPH for some time, the MS diagnosis now appears certain. He'll be transferred to Fiona Stanley rehab once he's well enough.
Good news about your mum, hope your son has a good a diagnosis as possible.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Its been quite nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.