Camp Ovens

Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

KingsthorpeDavid will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Camp Ovens

Big Steel Keg® - Authentic Charcoal Convection-Style Cooking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc3Te5NJmkI

I bought mine for $800 on eBay - still in the box!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KingsthorpeDavid
Big Steel Keg® - Authentic Charcoal Convection-Style Cooking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc3Te5NJmkI

I bought mine for $800 on eBay - still in the box!

Where do you get your Charcoal from. I noticed we have a store down here called Bas Foods, which is quite a large outlet owned by Turks and catering to the Middle Eastern population. A really interesting shop. Last time I was there I noticed there were heaps of different types of charcoal available.... I'd be surprised if they weren't one of the cheapest outlets around.

So how many types of charcoal are there ? Seems to me that the Middle Eastern members of our community buy heaps of the stuff.

Here's a sample.

http://www.basfoods.com.au/d_category.asp

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 17th 2012 at 10:48 am.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

I use Gidgee charcoal from Western Queensland, contact Karen for National distributors or she may ship direct to you:
http://www.rcra.com.au/cooking-heating.html
The best charcoal on the market IMHO.

However this NSW supplier is a good option in NSW:
http://www.rivredchar.com.au/page10.php

Last edited by KingsthorpeDavid; Jul 18th 2012 at 1:25 am.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

In America the Big Steel Keg is branded as Bubba Keg
Bubba Keg Convection Grill Instructional Video Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tuP2hG0sHI&feature=plcp
Bubba Keg Convection Grill Instructional Video Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz3Ewvuqm-8&feature=plcp
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Chris at Urban Griller has good prices, and although based in Perth he ships from New South Wales for Eastern State buyers :

http://urbangriller.com.au/Griller_Shop.html
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

The Smokey Joe™ Silver is a miniature version of the famous Weber kettle. Incredibly, this cute little barbecue has nearly 1000 square centimetres of cooking area ... just perfect for two or three people. The Ideal first barbecue for teenagers or young adults... people on the move, people having fun:

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/ProductPage.php?pc=k10024

As we are in an apartment in Griffith NSW and all my cooking gear is in Qld, I bought a Smoky Joe which fits nicely on the balcony. Used Heat Beads with Weber Red Gum Charcoal on top tonight to cook a supermarket butterfly chicken.
This an entry level item for folks wanting to get the hang of cooking with real charcoal. You can upgrade later!
This little Kettle is going to stay in our Campervan for trips away.

David
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

CAMP OVEN VOLCANO CARROT CHOWDER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXLUD...eature=related
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I recently discovered the South African Potjie Pot (pronounced Poikie) and bought a few.
They also fit nicely on my Ozpig.
See:
How to Braai: Making a Potjie (Slow Cooking) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfVPl...eature=related
Indeed! I have two myself, one the traditional No. 3 with legs and a flat bottom one (No. 2) which is great on the stove.

Oxtail potjie is my fave recipe.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

More South African cooking, on the Barbie (Braai) just for Alfresco:

South African Braai (BBQ) Etiquette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2SO...eature=related

Alfesco please advise if this etiquette is actually correct.

Last edited by KingsthorpeDavid; Jul 20th 2012 at 11:08 am.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Indeed! I have two myself, one the traditional No. 3 with legs and a flat bottom one (No. 2) which is great on the stove.

Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Did you bring them with you from ZA/SA?
Best Duty? The Platpotjie is great on the house stove for making soup in winter. I reseason my No 3 Platpotjie with oil each time used in the house.
Make soup, dump soup out, wash with hot water no detergent, put back on heat to dry, oil while over medium heat so the oil soaks in the cast iron pores.
Toowoomba has a good Afrikaanas Support Group.

Last edited by KingsthorpeDavid; Jul 20th 2012 at 11:19 am.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

SA Pop-up restaurant proves success

The Chronicle Chris Calcino | 10th July 2012 1:56 PM

Richard Gill's herd of South African nguni cattle are the stars of a new pop-up restaurant in Toowoomba.

Doug Parrington

HAMPTON grazier Richard Gill has opened Toowoomba's first "pop-up restaurant" in a bid to keep the middle man out of his pocket.

The idea involves renting out a restaurant twice a month to showcase a product, effectively cutting wholesalers out of the mix.

It is far from Mr Gill's first innovation - his herd of South African nguni cattle was the first in Australia.

His first temporary restaurant was a mouth-watering success.

"We hire out the facilities and staff at the Park Motor Inn on Friday nights twice a month," he said.

"It's their quiet night so they're more than happy for me to be there.

"It's a nice, quiet restaurant with 30 or 40 seats and everything has so far gone very well."

Toowoomba's South African and Zimbabwean populations were the restaurant's biggest demographic, but Mr Gill is targeting more than just ex-pats and their homesick taste buds.

"We're not going to be focussed entirely on the African population, but these cattle are from South Africa and it's a name and flavour they are familiar with," he said.

"We used a few traditional South African dishes, but the marinated ribs, rump steak and mini-fillet mignon tasting plates proved very popular."

Besides finding a new market for his beef, the venture is also a way for Mr Gill to encourage more producers to take a similarly ecologically-sound marketing approach.

"I'm very keen on local produce so I'd like to be able to produce and sell it locally," he said.

"I'm trying this method but other people sell at markets - something I've always supported.

"This way the beef isn't been transported 2000km across the country."

Mr Gill's next pop-up restaurant will be held on Friday, July 27.

Last edited by KingsthorpeDavid; Jul 20th 2012 at 11:23 am.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I am a keen camp oven cook.
Have collection of vintage Australian camp ovens, complete set of Lodge black pots from from USA and several South African Potjie Pots.
And an Ozpig!
Any other cast iron users in this forum?
Cant see any cooking/camping/BBQ section to post this in.
Maybe a Mod will advise or move this Post.

KD aka CampOvenCookQld
didn't even know ovens could be camp, thought they were all straight.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Wow David, you certainly have put a wealth of info on here! We love our camp oven, reference OzzieE and time, we find if we think ahead and prepare & start cooking around 5pm, our dishes are usually ready around 7. Good opportunity to catch up on the camp's day, catches, stacks etc. (we generally ski etc during the days!)

What's your thoughts on the Cob?

Last edited by jothefw; Jul 20th 2012 at 10:19 pm. Reason: Grrr, no auto spell correct!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Did you bring them with you from ZA/SA?
Best Duty? The Platpotjie is great on the house stove for making soup in winter. I reseason my No 3 Platpotjie with oil each time used in the house.
Make soup, dump soup out, wash with hot water no detergent, put back on heat to dry, oil while over medium heat so the oil soaks in the cast iron pores.
Toowoomba has a good Afrikaanas Support Group.

Yep, brought them over. A Falkirk and Best Duty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.