Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Originally Posted by Beoz
What? You disagree that Westfield and your local boozer see its busiest times at a weekend?

Why would you want the measly pickings of a pensioner on a Monday when you can have the substantial pickings everyone else on a weekend?
Because it is not only pensioners using these establishments during the week.

However, all of them are still open. So if they can run successfully with the 'measly pickings' with no penalty rates applied to wages, surely with the uplift on weekends, meaning employees are busier as well as giving up their family time, then penalty rates are applicable.

There are not too many businesses who only open on weekends are there? Which new businesses do you think will now operate on Sundays due to the cut in penalty rates?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. So tell me how the Victorian governments plan is strategic? Tell me how the WA governments plan is not.
I thought you wouldn't be able to answer that. It doesn't suit your federal government attack, it doesn't suit your agenda not to bad mouth Labor.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you wouldn't be able to answer that. It doesn't suit your federal government attack, it doesn't suit your agenda not to bad mouth Labor.
Oh, did you utter something?

In any case, I think I kind of comprehensively answered that strawman in the first thing I posted.

Originally Posted by GarryP
Oh, I don't think the stamp duty is going to do much - more vote buying than anything. However, that applies to your argument too; it's just the WA state government trying to buy a different set of votes (lib voters tend to be oldsters).
Here's the thing - a strategic answer to the issue doesn't involve tinkering - it addresses the underlying issues. You won't even face the underlying issue (treating housing as an investment vehicle) - so you can't get at a strategic answer (which has to be at the federal level).
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, did you utter something?

In any case, I think I kind of comprehensively answered that strawman in the first thing I posted.

Here's the thing - a strategic answer to the issue doesn't involve tinkering - it addresses the underlying issues. You won't even face the underlying issue (treating housing as an investment vehicle) - so you can't get at a strategic answer (which has to be at the federal level).
So you are saying housing should never be allowed to be an investment vehicle?

Ok, I get that from a lefty perspective, but its been made a commercial asset. Too late to reverse. The worlds economy works on it.

Next idea?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Because it is not only pensioners using these establishments during the week.

However, all of them are still open. So if they can run successfully with the 'measly pickings' with no penalty rates applied to wages, surely with the uplift on weekends, meaning employees are busier as well as giving up their family time, then penalty rates are applicable.

There are not too many businesses who only open on weekends are there? Which new businesses do you think will now operate on Sundays due to the cut in penalty rates?
My street is in throwing distance of a Westfields. There's 3 cafes in a 200 metre stretch. All closed on a Sunday because of penalty rates (I have asked them. They would prefer to have their day off on a Tuesday when its at its least busiest but the rates on a Sunday don't make it viable).
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

My street is in throwing distance of a Westfields. There's 3 cafes in a 200 metre stretch. All closed on a Sunday because of penalty rates (I have asked them. They would prefer to have their day off on a Tuesday when its at its least busiest but the rates on a Sunday don't make it viable).
They aren't closing on Sunday because of some of the highest corporate tax rates in the world are they?

Nelson Place, Williamstown, Melbourne - probably 20 cafes in a few hundred metres; not one closed on Sunday and it is their busiest day of the week. They seem to be able to cover their costs.

Sunday and public holiday penalty rates will be reduced for hospitality, retail workers, Fair Work Commission rules - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OzTennis
They aren't closing on Sunday because of some of the highest corporate tax rates in the world are they?

Nelson Place, Williamstown, Melbourne - probably 20 cafes in a few hundred metres; not one closed on Sunday and it is their busiest day of the week. They seem to be able to cover their costs.

Sunday and public holiday penalty rates will be reduced for hospitality, retail workers, Fair Work Commission rules - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Exactly. Sunday is the busiest day of the week. Why "penalise" that with penalty rates?

Left wing madness.

Australia is catching up. You need to take note old timer.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Sunday is the busiest day of the week. Why "penalise" that with penalty rates?

Left wing madness.

Australia is catching up. You need to take note old timer.
Exaggerated as ever. Is the proposal to pay less or the same on Sunday as other days of the week? No, they are reducing the degree of the penalty for getting people to work on Sunday. No hint of concern for the lowest paid workers to receive less?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:46 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

current penalty rates pay workers double on Sundays. Every other cost would be the same I would think. If they think they would be twice as busy on a Sunday to a Tuesday, even paying penalty rates, they would gain so perhaps they don't think they will be twice as busy. If this is the case, even cutting penalty rates, it wouldn't make too much sense
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There's a great cafe in Kalamunda run by a lovely woman from Iowa

It's always pretty busy on weekends

I asked her yesterday how the penalty rate cut is going affect here. She said that her costs are going to fall so much on Sundays that she will be able to afford to hire a new staff member - the 4 girls she has working on Sundays are run off their feet at times and another body will enable her to deliver a faster and more efficient service - which should increase sales and profits

Good for her
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There's a great cafe in Kalamunda run by a lovely woman from Iowa

It's always pretty busy on weekends

I asked her yesterday how the penalty rate cut is going affect here. She said that her costs are going to fall so much on Sundays that she will be able to afford to hire a new staff member - the 4 girls she has working on Sundays are run off their feet at times and another body will enable her to deliver a faster and more efficient service - which should increase sales and profits

Good for her
There's one more bod with a job. There's one more bod paying tax. There's a business owner paying more tax on increased profits.

And that my friends is a winner for millions v 3 existing workers.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Exaggerated as ever. Is the proposal to pay less or the same on Sunday as other days of the week? No, they are reducing the degree of the penalty for getting people to work on Sunday. No hint of concern for the lowest paid workers to receive less?
I care for the majority, not the minority. That makes a happy democracy.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:36 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

There's one more bod with a job. There's one more bod paying tax. There's a business owner paying more tax on increased profits.

And that my friends is a winner for millions v 3 existing workers.
Unlikely to generally be the case.

More likely is that stores will be open longer, with existing staff working longer hours for the same pay. 175% to 150%

So, for instance, if there were 4 wait staff before, on 175% (= 700%), then there's not enough for one extra new person. However you could open 10-3 rather than 10-2 on the Sunday, or ask an existing employee to come in for a hour over lunchtime to help out.

Empirically such cuts in overtime don't tend to result in new jobs, just longer hours for the same money.

Obviously there aren't magically going to be more customers to serve just because the overtime rate has changed.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unlikely to generally be the case.

More likely is that stores will be open longer, with existing staff working longer hours for the same pay. 175% to 150%

So, for instance, if there were 4 wait staff before, on 175% (= 700%), then there's not enough for one extra new person. However you could open 10-3 rather than 10-2 on the Sunday, or ask an existing employee to come in for a hour over lunchtime to help out.

Empirically such cuts in overtime don't tend to result in new jobs, just longer hours for the same money.

Obviously there aren't magically going to be more customers to serve just because the overtime rate has changed.
I thought hospitality staff are generally paid an hourly rate. How does more hours equal the same money?

Edit. Oh I see. Based on before penalty rate cuts and after. Oh well. Bad luck. The age of entitlement is over.

I'm looking forward to the abolishment of penalty rates all together. I'm looking for to seeing the roster of choice being Monday to Friday and the business having to decide the incentive to get staff to work weekends.

Let the fierce competition erupt between businesses to hire and retain staff. Bring it on. The workers wins.

Last edited by Beoz; Mar 6th 2017 at 7:10 am.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:10 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I thought hospitality staff are generally paid an hourly rate. How does more hours equal the same money?
As they would have been paid before the change in the rate.

If they were previously working for 6 hours, then they instead have to work for 7 hours. They don't get any less in the pay packet, but lose an hour of their time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.