Reload this Page >

Bulling English Children

Bulling English Children

Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bulling English Children

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Yes you are wrong- it was Basil Fawlty. He also wound up the Germans, but may have got away with it. He was the quintessential British racist misogynistic snob, but it was satire. Those who use similar derogatory terms are not being satirical as a whole, just unpleasant.
You know, I don't think I am. I've looked on the web and it look like it was definitely first used on the Simpsons.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Yes you are wrong- it was Basil Fawlty. He also wound up the Germans, but may have got away with it. He was the quintessential British racist misogynistic snob, but it was satire. Those who use similar derogatory terms are not being satirical as a whole, just unpleasant.
When Sun readers use it, it become very unpleasant indeed

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
They feel the same way about The English, believe me.
Indeed!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You know, I don't think I am. I've looked on the web and it look like it was definitely first used on the Simpsons.
I can assure you that Basil says it in one of the very first episodes. And AFAIA, Basil came before Homer didn't he?

I'll have a quick look at our Fawlty Towers DVDs over the next few days and find the right episode. We need to educate you, you ignorant Pom
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I can assure you that Basil says it in one of the very first episodes. And AFAIA, Basil came before Homer didn't he?

I'll have a quick look at our Fawlty Towers DVDs over the next few days and find the right episode. We need to educate you, you ignorant Pom
I look forward to being unignoranted.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

German man: Entschuldigen Sie, bitte, können Sie Deutsch sprechen?

Basil: I'm sorry, could you say that again?

German lady: You speak German?

Basil: Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you.

Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:55 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
If you were Italian or greek would you like being called a wog? I know some of them do call themselves wogs but there are many that don't like it.

If you were black would you like to be referred to as nigger?

What's the difference?

Pakis is actually an abbreviation of Pakisatan. That's a bit like calling the British Brits or Australians Aussies.
since I originate in the UK probably not, because wog doesn't sound jokey to me. I am not stating that this is ok or that I go around using the term - I am just saying that is how it is and it is the focus of quite a few tv shows. I am saying the rules are different because its a different country. racism is never ok but terms do not always mean what you think they mean at home. its like going to america and complaining that people want to refer to your fanny constantly.

I mean who moves to Australia and seriously doesnt know they may get called a pom?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:24 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

As far as banter goes the aussies are ok giving it out but they hate taking it.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
As far as banter goes the aussies are ok giving it out but they hate taking it.
Depends on who you talk to and mix with. All the Aussies, except one, I mix with takes as well as they give with no problem whatsoever.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:35 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The locals here use the word wog to indicate a cold or a virus. I was quite confused when one of the ambos said that there was a nasty wog going round town.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
The locals here use the word wog to indicate a cold or a virus. I was quite confused when one of the ambos said that there was a nasty wog going round town.
Never heard that one before (in 20 odd years).
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Heard it pretty often in the UK
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 30 years and remember hearing it when I first got here mainly from older Aussies, I admit I was shocked to the core!!

I haven't heard the term in regards to illness in a long time, maybe it is dying out ............
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Well looks as if BE has bullied the OP as he has not replied-unless I missed it.

IMHO there are racist attitudes towards the British. I`m married to an Aussie and am close to his family before you all jump down my throat. My eldest son began Y 7 when we moved here and was teased mercilessly for his English public sch accent. My younger two have morphed a bit for school and public events but the eldest has not. Generally people would say `in mock BBC English accents silly sentences they felt were typically English. On one occasion he was called a ` F###### Retarded Pom. When I raised issue with head of Senior school he dismissed it saying there was a reciprocal jioke between Aussies & POMs. I was actually referring to the pre fix! It goes on but you just have to ignore it. Many people will laugh at our accents and joke about the `constant British rain` but when you ask if they`ve been to UK they often haven`t.!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Bulling English Children

I'm sure nobody wants to see English children bulled.

Originally Posted by Wilgar
My eldest son began Y 7 when we moved here and was teased mercilessly for his English public sch accent.
How can you have an "English public school accent"? Does the UK have a new county called "Public School"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.