Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bulling English Children

Bulling English Children

Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:58 am
Banned

lancalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Bulling English Children

The recent ashes tour has seen resurgence in abusive language against the British people, the use of the word Pom and all of the abuse that goes with it fueled by comments and advertisements by the media.
Two young girls who had recently arrived in our town from England were constantly referred to as the Poms by some of the children at the school that they were attending. The children were teased about the English not liking to wash very often etc.
Whenever they complained about the name calling or anything for that matter they were met by the chant of “winging Pomes”.
They eventually became tired of the constant name calling and started to retaliate by calling some of the other children Wogs and Abos .
The children who had been calling the English children Pomes complained to their teacher that the English children were using racist language .It was however only the English children that got into trouble for using racist language as the media used Pommes to describe the English cricketers.
How many other racial groups have to put up with these double standards?•
We try to set a good example to our children by not using words that hold others to ridicule and denigrate others yet some members of the media seam to encourage their use. Children get bullied enough at school without encouragement by the media
A significant number of English people find the term distasteful, derogatory and selectively racist.
On the 29th of September2006. a pole was held on win TV. On the today show Program . The viewers were asked the question “Is it OK to call English people Pomes” 15,898 people said that it not ok to do so.
The Oxford English Dictionary states that Pommy is as racist as Wog and Nigger etc. So why do we allow the double standards.
The English and Welsh ( Ernie Dingo referred to the Welsh people as pommes in his documentary on Wales) deserve the same respect as other people that happen to have been born in other countries.
As long as people tolerate being called pomes the abuse will continue.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bulling English Children

Originally Posted by lancalot
The recent ashes tour has seen resurgence in abusive language against the British people, the use of the word Pom and all of the abuse that goes with it fueled by comments and advertisements by the media.
Two young girls who had recently arrived in our town from England were constantly referred to as the Poms by some of the children at the school that they were attending. The children were teased about the English not liking to wash very often etc.
Whenever they complained about the name calling or anything for that matter they were met by the chant of “winging Pomes”.
They eventually became tired of the constant name calling and started to retaliate by calling some of the other children Wogs and Abos .
The children who had been calling the English children Pomes complained to their teacher that the English children were using racist language .It was however only the English children that got into trouble for using racist language as the media used Pommes to describe the English cricketers.
We try to set a good example to our children by not using words that hold others to ridicule and denigrate others yet some members of the media seam to encourage their use. Children get bullied enough at school without encouragement by the media
A significant number of English people find the term distasteful, derogatory and selectively racist.
On the 29th of September2006. a pole was held on win TV. On the today show Program . The viewers were asked the question “Is it OK to call English people Pomes” 15,898 people said that it not ok to do so.
The Oxford English Dictionary states that Pommy is as racist as Wog and Nigger etc. So why do we allow the double standards.
The English and Welsh ( Ernie Dingo referred to the Welsh people as pommes in his documentary on Wales) deserve the same respect as other people that happen to have been born in other countries.
Must Try Harder ... 3/10.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:05 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Must Try Harder ... 3/10.

hehe - I think you are being generous
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Ernie Dingo referred to the Welsh people as pommes in his documentary on Wales
You are Rockwell and I claim my 5 pounds
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you currently live in Norway?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:53 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH HAHAHHAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAH
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

What's racist about apples?
My French/English dictionary says pommes are apples
And there's no translation for bulling Is that the action of being a bull

Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
What's racist about apples?
My French/English dictionary says pommes are apples
And there's no translation for bulling Is that the action of being a bull

Bulling: oxford english dicktionary definition: The art of talking shite.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Bulling: oxford english dicktionary definition: The art of talking shite.
That's why it's not in my French/English dictionary. We French NEVER talk shite
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

That's why it's not in my French/English dictionary. We French NEVER talk shite
Merde....
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's why it's not in my French/English dictionary. Us French NEVER talk shite
i do apologise, my bad... It was the Oxford Norwegian Dick tionary and not the Oxford English as previously stated...
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:34 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

And there's no translation for bulling
Bulling - it's the new dogging dontcha know
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hevs
Merde....
Mods, ban the woman, she's talking shite in a foreign language!
Originally Posted by eddie007
i do apologise, my bad... It was the Oxford Norwegian Dick tionary and not the Oxford English as previously stated...
That explains it! Sir Lancalot/Rockwell sure gets around quickly from Norway to Australia via Britain all in the space of a few hours
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I dont mind being called a pom, i cant see why it irritates really and i am welsh. in Sydney greek and other europeans regularly refer to themselves as wogs. pakistanis are called pakis in the cricket. Its different here, I think the issue with the children is perhaps they also dont understand the connotations fully and the way people react is often a pre-cursor to retaliatory actions.

I encourage my children to take a joke, be friendly and assertive but not necessarily confrontational. i think the way parents perceive what is going on also can influence the children to assume its a negative thing.

kids tease, thats normal. bullying is not but I meet lots of expats who really dont stop whinging and seem to leave their sense of humour at home - probably because they get here and it isnt a bed of roses and the stress is high.

I am not particularly arguing with the OP just musing you know.... my friend emelems has had issues wiht her children being bullied for being english. most people I know have kids who have settled in nicely. its hard to work out what the problem is btu any difference is a possible target for kids
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Me thinks Sir Lancalot mispelt his own name... Perhaps a mod could correct it for him... I'm sure there should be a W in place of that L?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.