Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain gets raped. Again!!!

Britain gets raped. Again!!!

Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:52 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain gets raped. Again!!!

Originally Posted by Rambi
It's all good. Just an opportunity to make light of it all. At the end of the day shipping IT jobs offshore is no big deal. It's the modern-day equivalent of TV repair men losing their jobs to offshore contractors.

It's anecdotal I know but I find (generally) the call centres based in China and The Philippines have people who speak better English than the Indian call centres. Given that these countries have no English speaking history I suspect they may be trying a bit harder. That's why I think they'll beat India in the long run.
But as the international call centre market widens I wonder if the main decider to success will turn out to be more of a PR thing. What I mean is currently people have less issue with outsourcing to nations where the beneficiaries are less bolshy/arrogant. For example I don't hear people moaning about call centres outsourced to The Philippines, South Africa, etc. And I never come across people from these two nations with the "Up yours!" attitude that we're getting from India. So if the price and level of service is the same between India, The Philippines and South Africa it doesn't take much to work out who will be least likely to get the contract.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

It's anecdotal I know but I find (generally) the call centres based in China and The Philippines have people who speak better English than the Indian call centres. Given that these countries have no English speaking history I suspect they may be trying a bit harder. That's why I think they'll beat India in the long run.
The Philippines was 'run' by the Americans for a hundred years or so. Maybe not directly, for the whole hundred years, but by the lure of the mighty dollar through several military bases kept a rolling stock of several hundred thousand Filipinos employed continuously for decades.

English is the political language of the country too, and all government business is supposed to be conducted in English.

Over 10,000,000 Filipinos work overseas, nurses, seamen, drivers, labourers etc. Virtually every family in the Philippines has one or more members working overseas at this very moment. To not be able to speak English in the PI means you won't be getting a job overseas, as English is the main universal working language of most of the world.

I bet there is not a city in the world where you won't find a Filipino band playing live music on a Saturday night. The buggers get everywhere.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:55 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul B
I bet there is not a city in the world where you won't find a Filipino band playing live music on a Saturday night. The buggers get everywhere.
and they are bloody good too.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The Philippines was 'run' by the Americans for a hundred years or so. Maybe not directly, for the whole hundred years, but by the lure of the mighty dollar through several military bases kept a rolling stock of several hundred thousand Filipinos employed continuously for decades.

English is the political language of the country too, and all government business is supposed to be conducted in English.

Over 10,000,000 Filipinos work overseas, nurses, seamen, drivers, labourers etc. Virtually every family in the Philippines has one or more members working overseas at this very moment. To not be able to speak English in the PI means you won't be getting a job overseas, as English is the main universal working language of most of the world.

I work with Filipinos - they are good workers and are, generally, very nice people.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

The simple answer would be Radcliffe. A lawyer from London brought in to work it out with the assistance of local Hindu and Muslim lawyers. As I said earlier it was a rushed job and it was not an exact science. Pretty much an area with a Muslim majority and a Muslim leader went to Pakistan and a majority Hindu area with a Hindu leader went to India. Some of the areas with a mix of leader and majority were split. Some were sent one way or the other. Some areas were not incorporated into either country. The borders were not completely settled before independence.
Interesting, thanks. I was convinced the partition happened before the Brits handed over, a year earlier, but just today I was researching and browsing for the book mentioned earlier and it said the exact opposite to what I had believed for so long.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I work with Filipinos - they are good workers and are, generally, very nice people.
I've been married to one for fifteen years now, plus I work offshore with a bunch of them. They are generally very happy and little industrious souls.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't remember seeing too many in the working mens clubs in Northern England.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:35 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

The Philippines was a US colony for a long time and most Filipinos speak good english. Citibank's call centre is in Manila and dealing with them is not a problem. I would disagree about China though - it will take many more years before english standards are acceptable. Most Indian call centres are a complete waste of time - many organisations (LloydsTSB for instance) have shut down there and moved back to their home country. iinet have a support centre in Cape Town and it is a pleasure to deal with.
I'll give you that. About 50 years plus another 50 economically. They do speak English with an American accent.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:40 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. It was a bit of a rash suggestion on my part. I guess I thought their use of English was a more recent phenomenon.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

The Philippines was a US colony for a long time and most Filipinos speak good english. Citibank's call centre is in Manila and dealing with them is not a problem. I would disagree about China though - it will take many more years before english standards are acceptable. Most Indian call centres are a complete waste of time - many organisations (LloydsTSB for instance) have shut down there and moved back to their home country. iinet have a support centre in Cape Town and it is a pleasure to deal with.

I'll mirror this too. I bank with both Citi and HSBC, and it is much easier to get things done with Citi than with HSBC when it comes to telephone banking services.

S
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

. iinet have a support centre in Cape Town and it is a pleasure to deal with.

LOL... I didnt realise that. I just thought Hell there must be a lot of Saffers in Perth !
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Don't remember seeing too many in the working mens clubs in Northern England.
You've got be a brave and hardy soul to survive the British working mans club, and Filipinos are far too timid to venture there.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Sorry. It was a bit of a rash suggestion on my part. I guess I thought their use of English was a more recent phenomenon.
The Spanish were in there for 400 years before the Americans, which is what their main language,Tagalog, is based on, so historically speaking you are correct.

Even the Brits were in power there for 2 years I think.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

You've got be a brave and hardy soul to survive the British working mans club, and Filipinos are far too timid to venture there.
Say that to Manny Paquiao.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish were in there for 400 years before the Americans, which is what their main language,Tagalog, is based on, so historically speaking you are correct.

Even the Brits were in power there for 2 years I think.
The Phillipines was where modern day boxing came from (bit of trivia for ya!).