Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia to become a republic?

Australia to become a republic?

Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:45 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia to become a republic?

Originally Posted by king kong
A return to the union flag would save all the hassle ,as it represents democracy,freedom .
It is recognized easily as opposed to the present flag because of the similarities with new zealand .
Even better i think closer links should be formed with the uk and the passports should have Great britain northern ireland and australia on them ,this would solve all the hassle of new migrants coming from the uk and vice versa .
My idea seems like a winner to me .
Seems a little colonial and UNAustralian to me
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yeah, but then we would get a load of chavvy poms moving here and treating the place like Majorca.
Mate, that ship has already sailed...
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:08 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear dear getting up set a bit ,go dry your eyes .
You're weird! Not sure why you think I'm upset.

Are you having trouble reading or what? Or is it that you can't formulate a rational point

Last edited by MartinLuther; Dec 17th 2007 at 12:14 am.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
Very true. That's the first thing to give the boot :-)

Some ideas here - http://www.ausflag.com.au/new/index.html
I would be happy with this one...
All they need to do is change that star from yellow to white and they've got my vote. Canada's is red and white, so Australia's could easily be simply blue and white. They could reverse it for the naval ensign. Easy.

It must be said that many of the proposals on Ausflag are pretty awful and amateurish, ranging from kitsch, through to childish and onwards to banana republic. They need to be careful and retain some dignity because the present Australian flag is well-known and respected. All they need to do is remove the Union flag from the canton and replace it with the white seven pointed star. Simple. This way he identity is retained while the new republican sentiment is declared.

Last edited by Tableland; Dec 17th 2007 at 8:52 am.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:54 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tableland
They need to be careful and retain some dignity because the present Australian flag is well-known and respected. All they need to do is remove the Union flag from the canton and replace it with the white seven pointed star. Simple. This way he identity is retained while the new republican sentiment is declared.
Mate - you have won me ! I'll fly that flag :-)
Attached Thumbnails Australia to become a republic?-potential-new-flag.gif  
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
Mate - you have won me ! I'll fly that flag :-)
You beat me to it!!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:55 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know what would happen to those who are citizens and have both passports? Would you eventually have to give up one of them?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:58 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshviking
Does anybody know what would happen to those who are citizens and have both passports? Would you eventually have to give up one of them?
you can bet your bottom dollar most of the so called Reps wouldnt give up their passport of birth .
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by welshviking
I don't see why. You can be US/UK dual and the US has been an independent republic since 1776. Australians have tinkered with the concept of dual citizenship before and I think at once stage there was aban or at least some kind of limitation; I'm not sure.

There would be no advantage to it whatsoever, but there would be plenty of disadvantages.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:00 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why. You can be US/UK dual and the US has been an independent republic since 1776. Australians have tinkered with the concept of dual citizenship before and I think at once stage there was aban or at least some kind of limitation; I'm not sure.

There would be no advantage to it whatsoever, but there would be plenty of disadvantages.
yeah, cos I was quite looking forward to having the benefits.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:03 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

You beat me to it!!
No recognition of aboriginals in that flag ,it is nothing but a colonial flag without the union flag and thats the way the aboriginals will see it .
As a brit i would never advocate any removal of the union flag from any flag worldwide .ie hawaii ,fiji,west australia ,etc etc etc etc .

Last edited by king kong; Dec 17th 2007 at 9:07 am.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

No recognition of aboriginals in that flag ,it is nothing but a colonial flag without the union flag and thats the way the aboriginals will see it .
The aboriginals are Australian citizens and are represented in the flag to the same degree as everyone else. In addition to this, the flag is representing the new Australian republic, not the pre-1788 Australian continent. This new republic is founded solidly on the principles of Western liberal democracy of which all racial groups are an equal part. The proposed flag contains no imperial referents, but merely uses the symbol of a constellation, inherent to southern hemispheric geography. In this way it discriminates against no one and includes everyone.

I understand your comment about retaining the Union flag, because quite soon it won't exist in the UK at all so the only place you'll see it flying will be Fiji, etc.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:29 am
poole ,dorset . love it

The aboriginals are Australian citizens and are represented in the flag to the same degree as everyone else. In addition to this, the flag is representing the new Australian republic, not the pre-1788 Australian continent. This new republic is founded solidly on the principles of Western liberal democracy of which all racial groups are an equal part. The proposed flag contains no imperial referents, but merely uses the symbol of a constellation, inherent to southern hemispheric geography. In this way it discriminates against no one and includes everyone.

I understand your comment about retaining the Union flag, because quite soon it won't exist in the UK at all so the only place you'll see it flying will be Fiji, etc.
Very convenient and total fantasy .Lets get something straight wether you are black or white ,australian born or not if you arnt aboriginal you are a thief and it doesnt matter wether there was 10 union flags on the australian flag or none at the end of the day its their country and we as immigrants are nothing but uninvited squatters .
This is what makes me laugh about people who want who change the flag ,it is like we can just push all the past under the carpet and start again you just about get every jumped up anti -brit from fenian loving irish men to just about anybody who has an axe to grind against the uk .
The one thing that the present flag which none of the trash that is being served up at the moment has and that is history ,aboriginals died because of it and also aboriginal died under it in the world wars .
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:32 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Never mind about this Republican nonsense, it will be all in vain if we are Hiroshima'd ...
Nuke Australia
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Very convenient and total fantasy .Lets get something straight wether you are black or white ,australian born or not if you arnt aboriginal you are a thief and it doesnt matter wether there was 10 union flags on the australian flag or none at the end of the day its their country and we as immigrants are nothing but uninvited squatters .
This is what makes me laugh about people who want who change the flag ,it is like we can just push all the past under the carpet and start again you just about get every jumped up anti -brit from fenian loving irish men to just about anybody who has an axe to grind against the uk .
The one thing that the present flag which none of the trash that is being served up at the moment has and that is history ,aboriginals died because of it and also aboriginal died under it in the world wars .
So the English have no place in England because they invaded and pushed the Welsh into the mountains?

This is your argument and it is ridiculous. The fact is that human history has centuries of conquest and invasion in it. From Ghengis Khan and the mongol invasion of half of Asia to white settlement in Africa and north America, to Japanese imperial domination of SE Asia.

The aborigines also invaded Australia, 60,000 years ago, and consequently they are not inherent to the continent, and therefore it does not belong to them either, unless you subscribe to the "we were here first" rule, in which case, you believe the English should apologise to the Welsh and change the flag of St. George to that of the Ddraig Goch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.