Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia to become a republic?

Australia to become a republic?

Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:49 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia to become a republic?

Originally Posted by TJUK
Need to review the flag as there would be no point in having it topped by the UJ? What could go in its place?? Was it the UK that decided the flags for Oz & New Zealand?
Very true. That's the first thing to give the boot :-)

Some ideas here - http://www.ausflag.com.au/new/index.html
I would be happy with this one...
Attached Thumbnails Australia to become a republic?-potential-new-flag.gif  

Last edited by @boy; Dec 16th 2007 at 7:52 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:52 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
Damn good idea. I think the Monarchy should have been dumped years ago - both here and in the UK
We WANT you to ditch our Queen....we love her here in the UK thanks. a recent mori poll but her at 85% loved.

Last edited by guest5234; Dec 16th 2007 at 7:55 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:03 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
It looks like republicans will take strong positions in both government and the opposition.

labor has said they will revisit the republican issue.

If you were in Oz during the last referendum on the republic you will know that polls all said the vast majority of Australians want a republic.... but they also wanted a model that allowed the people to choose the president.

John Howard.. the strong monarchist... only offered the option that allowed the politicians to choose the president... people hated this so the referendum was defeated.

Labor has promised plebicites so that the people can at first decide what sort of model they want.... and then he will bring that model to a referendum.

I think that flowing that path Australia will become a republic....

Bring on the republic i say... can't wait.

Do you want Oz to become a republic?
NO on a republic but i do think the flag should be changed though and i think the Union jack would be perfect .
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridie
Wasnt there a study in the UK that found that the monarchy actually made more money than they cost, due to tourists coming to see Buck House etc.

Not really sure what difference it will make?
I think this is a bit of a con used my monarchists. If you look at France, their tourism (including visits to ex-royal palaces) have been completely unaffected by the lack of a monarchy.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:08 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
Very true. That's the first thing to give the boot :-)

Some ideas here - http://www.ausflag.com.au/new/index.html
I would be happy with this one...
pile of dung ,absolutely no history behind it and also shows no respect to australian man and women who fought under the southern cross flag wether red or blue .
If rubbish like that is going to be put up i personally would rather see the Aboriginal flag .
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
And if you want a non-executive president, it is far better for such a president to be appointed (like the Governor General) rather than elected.

However, Australians rejected this idea back in 1999.
Why? Please explain!

Ireland works perfectly well (very well in fact) with an elected non-executive president.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:10 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think this is a bit of a con used my monarchists. If you look at France, their tourism (including visits to ex-royal palaces) have been completely unaffected by the lack of a monarchy.
Yes but they are french and they eat snails ,and this is a thread about Australia becoming a republic not a thread about how good the monarchy is in the uk or was in france for that matter .
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by king kong
Yes but they are french and they eat snails ,and this is a thread about Australia becoming a republic not a thread about how good the monarchy is in the uk or was in france for that matter .
Am I not allowed to reply to someone else's statement

I think if you look back I was not the one who raised the monarchy in the UK. :two-fingered salute:
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:49 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

pile of dung ,absolutely no history behind it and also shows no respect to australian man and women who fought under the southern cross flag wether red or blue .
If rubbish like that is going to be put up i personally would rather see the Aboriginal flag .
I agree, certainly better that than a Union Jack, which in your words "would be perfect"
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, certainly better that than a Union Jack, which in your words "would be perfect"
I don't think becoming a republic means we automatically have to change the flag. In fact I think we will become a republic but it will take longer than 2010 but we'll keep the flag. To many have died fighting under the Aussie flag to just ditch it. The UJ on the flag reflects Australia's past.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:31 pm
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

In terms of monarchy the Queen Mum was good, the Queen was "perfect" but the rest are "all out to lunch", personally I think the review should be made when the Queen abdicates or passes away....no other Royal could take her place.

Only my opinion............
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:13 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Am I not allowed to reply to someone else's statement

I think if you look back I was not the one who raised the monarchy in the UK. :two-fingered salute:
Oh dear dear getting up set a bit ,go dry your eyes .
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:28 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

A return to the union flag would save all the hassle ,as it represents democracy,freedom .
It is recognized easily as opposed to the present flag because of the similarities with new zealand .
Even better i think closer links should be formed with the uk and the passports should have Great britain northern ireland and australia on them ,this would solve all the hassle of new migrants coming from the uk and vice versa .
My idea seems like a winner to me .
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

I think we should have an Australian as our head of state, which means we should be a republic, but I don't want the appalling, expensive, ridiulous amount of bullshit that goes with the US presidential elections. I also don't trust the politicians to choose a prez.

So, a popularly elected president, but with a cap on electioneering and spending would probably do it.

As for the flag - I quite like the present one - it reflects where we are and where we came from.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:38 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

A return to the union flag would save all the hassle ,as it represents democracy,freedom .
It is recognized easily as opposed to the present flag because of the similarities with new zealand .
Even better i think closer links should be formed with the uk and the passports should have Great britain northern ireland and australia on them ,this would solve all the hassle of new migrants coming from the uk and vice versa .
My idea seems like a winner to me .

Yeah, but then we would get a load of chavvy poms moving here and treating the place like Majorca. I'm all for a lengthy selection process to keep the riff raff out thanks...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.