Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia to become a republic?

Australia to become a republic?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia to become a republic?

Originally Posted by copa
It looks like republicans will take strong positions in both government and the opposition.

labor has said they will revisit the republican issue.

If you were in Oz during the last referendum on the republic you will know that polls all said the vast majority of Australians want a republic.... but they also wanted a model that allowed the people to choose the president.
Lots of Australians "want a republic" in general terms but then don't like the particular "model" they are offered.

It's not clear to what extent the change of government will matter as Australians also don't appreciate being told by politicians which way they should vote. Only 8 constitutional amendments since Federation have been accepted, with many more rejected.

This thread though does rather contradict the view of some that all British migrants are die-hard monarchists.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridie
Wasnt there a study in the UK that found that the monarchy actually made more money than they cost, due to tourists coming to see Buck House etc.

Not really sure what difference it will make?

Yes, I've seen that too - the Royals don't cost the taxpayer much at all.

I don't see what difference a republic would make either - I wouldn't vote for it!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Wasnt there a study in the UK that found that the monarchy actually made more money than they cost, due to tourists coming to see Buck House etc.

Not really sure what difference it will make?

For me it's not about the money. I just think that a head of state should be someone who has been chosen by it's citizens and not because they were born into it.

If the majority voted to keep the Queen, then fine. But I think there should be a choice.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
For me it's not about the money. I just think that a head of state should be someone who has been chosen by it's citizens and not because they were born into it.
Does it make much difference though to the ordinary, every day folk?

Either way, we'll end up paying for them...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Does it make much difference though to the ordinary, every day folk?

Either way, we'll end up paying for them...

I have no idea - probably not.

True
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:38 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

We've got Elton John over at the moment, surely that will suffice?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:39 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

If the majority voted to keep the Queen, then fine. But I think there should be a choice.

Malcolm Turnbull wrote quite an interesting book on this subject, and he outlined the various different approaches to choosing a president/head of state. It's well worth a read. There are some pretty compelling arguments for either choice system - government selection or voting by the masses.

I guess much of the debate will depend on whether any future president will wield executive power, or just be a fancy head of state/ambassadorial role.

I think I would prefer a non-executive president - that would encourage more prominent people who have achieved something for the country to run instead of just another worthless politician.

S
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

I think I would prefer a non-executive president - that would encourage more prominent people who have achieved something for the country to run instead of just another worthless politician.

S
Yep, I'd go with that too.

Will look out for the book next time I'm out and about.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Malcolm Turnbull wrote quite an interesting book on this subject, and he outlined the various different approaches to choosing a president/head of state. It's well worth a read. There are some pretty compelling arguments for either choice system - government selection or voting by the masses.

I guess much of the debate will depend on whether any future president will wield executive power, or just be a fancy head of state/ambassadorial role.

S
And if you want a non-executive president, it is far better for such a president to be appointed (like the Governor General) rather than elected.

However, Australians rejected this idea back in 1999.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NedKelly
As long as spent policticians (Beazley, Latham, Hawke, Howard, Rudd, etc.) and sportsmen are not allowed to stand for president.
- er - those were mainly Labour pollies - was this a Freudian slip? I'm glad you included Howard though.

I agree with many of the sentiments expressed in this thread, especially that Australia should have an Australian as head of state. I would loathe the American bovine excrement that goes with choosing a Prez though - I reckon it would bankrupt us. Just a normal election process would do - at the same time as a general election. Give us a list of people and we'll tick 1,2,3 etc. I would also want a person of standing, outside of sports and party politics...perhaps a leading academic or ex-diplomat - someone with a brain and good ethics anyway.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Lots of Australians "want a republic" in general terms but then don't like the particular "model" they are offered.

It's not clear to what extent the change of government will matter as Australians also don't appreciate being told by politicians which way they should vote. Only 8 constitutional amendments since Federation have been accepted, with many more rejected.

This thread though does rather contradict the view of some that all British migrants are die-hard monarchists.
Blocs change all the time. Traditionally the Irish were Labor/Republican and the WASPs were Liberal/Monarchy, but things look like they're changing. QLD seems still to be most conservative, but generally my reading of polls is that Australia will be a republic around 2010.

The issue is the model selected, and one that allows the direct election of a president will be more popular than the one proposes earlier which basically just gave even more power to the incumbent PM.

I can't see any reason why Australia should not become a republic. The UK will not exist as most know it for much longer, and that is not emotive hyperbole but a stark and accurate reading of the technicalities of government bureaucracy. Sterling will be gone before you know it, and what's left of the independent legidslative process has not long left either. The Queen as an icon will recede into the past.

Why would the Australians continue to be attached to a dissolving state when they can start the 21st century as a new independent republic?

You'd think after WWII and joining the EU in 1973, the Australians would have realised that the Europhile elite of the UK is not interested in them.

Last edited by Tableland; Dec 16th 2007 at 1:44 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:11 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

a president sounds good...but lets hope it isn't like USA and she/he thinks they "rule" the nation

what about an indigenous president who's a women that would be "hip"
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
a president sounds good...but lets hope it isn't like USA and she/he thinks they "rule" the nation

what about an indigenous president who's a women that would be "hip"
The US president is getting more power in terms of foreign policy, but the Constitution is pretty clear about limiting the executive branch.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:18 pm
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

Need to review the flag as there would be no point in having it topped by the UJ? What could go in its place?? Was it the UK that decided the flags for Oz & New Zealand?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:24 pm
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

Suppose all the state flags need reviewing too less NT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.