Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2010 Ashes series?
Australia
23.68%
England
67.11%
Series Drawn (England retain the ashes)
9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:18 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Fine form, to be applauded!

Bloody good batting, no doubt, but I thought there was nothing particularly threatening after the first 10 overs of the day ... sure, Finn got 6fer but to win a series you need some f'kin menace and for vast periods it was ... flat.

I am in no way resigned to losing The Ashes but England need to realise what is required in Australian conditions.
Anderson's opening spell was some of the best seam bowling you'll see. It was superb! Broad backed him up very well too and kept it very tight. Had they just had one of those chances go their way it would have been wrapped up before lunch. But from there, the spirits were broken.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Anderson's opening spell was some of the best seam bowling you'll see. It was superb! Broad backed him up very well too and kept it very tight. Had they just had one of those chances go their way it would have been wrapped up before lunch. But from there, the spirits were broken.
Have to agree there, they started so well but all the luck and chances went against them. for today, hope you have a good one I really want to wake up to some good news in a few hours time.......
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:43 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have to agree there, they started so well but all the luck and chances went against them. for today, hope you have a good one I really want to wake up to some good news in a few hours time.......
have a well deserved hibernation. Talk to you when you wake up (should be around the time of the SCG test)

4-1 to the England
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Very true, the match was all in that opening spell, they just didn't get the break, the Hussey lbw decision was the one they needed and i had a very bad feeling as soon a i went against them. But Hussey and Haddin were superb after that and won this test for Australia.

Shame it's not in Melbourne today as it's pissing down and we could have been saved.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:36 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by papilon
Very true, the match was all in that opening spell, they just didn't get the break, the Hussey lbw decision was the one they needed and i had a very bad feeling as soon a i went against them. But Hussey and Haddin were superb after that and won this test for Australia.

Shame it's not in Melbourne today as it's pissing down and we could have been saved.
We just lacked the aggression at the other end I thought. We really needed Finn to be bowling at their chins to complement Anderson's spell. We also showed our limited options in attack. Once Hussey decided he was going to go after Swann we were always going to be in trouble. Added to the fact that it was an extra long day (additional half hour of play) meant that opening session was especially long for us (no wicket and 100% effort given to get one). That would have been demoralising for any bowler.

Regardless of what happens in this test, our bowlers have shown already that they should be respected and feared on Australian pitches
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

have a well deserved hibernation. Talk to you when you wake up (should be around the time of the SCG test)

4-1 to the England
Or even "the Engerrrrland" (I've been sat by the Barmy Army too long )

Made it to the end of the shift, off to hibernate for the rest of the day.....if it goes to 5 days I'll be there tomorrow
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:23 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

We just lacked the aggression at the other end I thought. We really needed Finn to be bowling at their chins to complement Anderson's spell. We also showed our limited options in attack. Once Hussey decided he was going to go after Swann we were always going to be in trouble. Added to the fact that it was an extra long day (additional half hour of play) meant that opening session was especially long for us (no wicket and 100% effort given to get one). That would have been demoralising for any bowler.

Regardless of what happens in this test, our bowlers have shown already that they should be respected and feared on Australian pitches
Excuses excuses,me thinks you have been in oz too long
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The problem being that they need to bowl well for more than the opening x overs of the day when the batsmen aren't set and the pitch is doing a bit ... I agree if one of those chances had been taken it would be a different game, but they weren't.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:19 am
I'm Old Gregg!

The problem being that they need to bowl well for more than the opening x overs of the day when the batsmen aren't set and the pitch is doing a bit ... I agree if one of those chances had been taken it would be a different game, but they weren't.
I see your point, but you can't keep a batsman unsettled all day without taking their wicket. They are always going to settle at some point or other. The fact that we didn't take a wicket was in the hands of the cricket gods, not due to lack of effort. Granted, Cook should have probably held onto that catch of Haddin's off Collingwood and Anderson should have got his hands onto the Hussey one off Broad and we only have ourselves to bame for that. But any other day we would have had Hussey out LBW and remember that was before Haddin was set. Haddin and Johnson at the crease (two slashers) would have been a whole new ball game.
But credit where it's due, once they were set they were fantastic to watch. I actually thought Haddin's innings was the better of the two, when you consider that Hussey very very nearly went for a golden duck (again the gods) and then survived 3 lbw calls early yesterday. Haddin was near perfect, especially considering he hadn't played a test in 8 months!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:19 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

If a certain lbw decision had been given it would have been a different day, if the batsmen had got more runs it would have been a different match. If England had a decent fourth seamer it would have been a different attack.

England bowled well, they have a better attack than Australia with the exception of a fifth bowler. Bresnan for Adelaide anyone?

Now the batsmen have to do a job. Probably will have to survive a first hour when the humidity is up, then the pitch should provide the runs necessary to save the match. If not then the fault is with the first innings batting, not the bowling.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
If a certain lbw decision had been given it would have been a different day, if the batsmen had got more runs it would have been a different match. If England had a decent fourth seamer it would have been a different attack.

England bowled well, they have a better attack than Australia with the exception of a fifth bowler. Bresnan for Adelaide anyone?

Now the batsmen have to do a job. Probably will have to survive a first hour when the humidity is up, then the pitch should provide the runs necessary to save the match. If not then the fault is with the first innings batting, not the bowling.
Forget cricket, I'm enjoying the fact that the Bokke thumped England in the rugby for the 7th or 8th time in a row.

Bokke! Bokke! Bokke!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:55 pm
Home and Happy

4-1 to the England
B*gger, I sleep through a brilliant morning, wake up and what happens Guess I ought to go back to bed
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:04 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
B*gger, I sleep through a brilliant morning, wake up and what happens Guess I ought to go back to bed
Aye, just when Chappelli was starting to talk up England's chances....

What's the weather in Bris, likely to see a full day's play? How many days off work you got?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:06 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody eye gougers
Originally Posted by Amazulu
Forget cricket, I'm enjoying the fact that the Bokke thumped England in the rugby for the 7th or 8th time in a row.

Bokke! Bokke! Bokke!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:09 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by expatasia
Aye, just when Chappelli was starting to talk up England's chances....

What's the weather in Bris, likely to see a full day's play? How many days off work you got?
Off till Tues night now and I've just organised tomorrow's ticket so I shall be back in the thick of it for the last day. Shame I couldn't have got there today but I was dead on my feet after yesterday + last nights shift

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.