Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2010 Ashes series?
Australia
23.68%
England
67.11%
Series Drawn (England retain the ashes)
9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:39 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Yes. One of those very few decisions to bowl first was at Edgbaston in 05', which he has never lived down nor been forgiven. He is already under so much pressure there is no way he would make it worse for himself by winning the toss and choosing to bowl. That would be his final decision in an Aussie shirt otherwise.

On the other hand, it is extremely rare for any team to choose to bowl first at the Gabba (bar Hussein's mental decision in 02). I would want to be bowling last on this Gabba pitch as I reckon there will be plenty in it for Swann. If we won the toss, I would be looking to bat first, regardless of the conditions above. Brisbane skies change so quickly, as Nasser found out in 02'
Fair point about bowling last with Swann in full flow ... ah, the decisions to be made ... with the team I play for it's 'bat first' always because there is usually only about 7 blokes sitting around when the toss is made ...
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:25 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
always because there is usually only about 7 blokes sitting around when the toss is made ...
...sounds like a club me and missus went to at the weekend
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:49 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Who's gonna win? What's the mood amongst your Aussie colleagues, acquaintances, the milkman etc?

I ask coz the bloke I'm renting the car from in Adelaide had told me I could have the car for free and keep it for good if England won the series

Anyway, he's now 'no longer with us' I was informed by email from the company yesterday, so is the tide turning in Oz public opinion? Who do you trust in the media? Chappelli can't decide and has plumped for narrow Aussie win on home ground advantage basis.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:11 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Who's gonna win? What's the mood amongst your Aussie colleagues, acquaintances, the milkman etc?

I ask coz the bloke I'm renting the car from in Adelaide had told me I could have the car for free and keep it for good if England won the series

Anyway, he's now 'no longer with us' I was informed by email from the company yesterday, so is the tide turning in Oz public opinion? Who do you trust in the media? Chappelli can't decide and has plumped for narrow Aussie win on home ground advantage basis.
1-1

no results in Brisbane, Adelaide or Melbourne

Aussies to win Perth, England to win in Sydney

North to be dropped after Brisbane and Adelaide ducks. Ponting retires after SCG along with Hussey and North. Australia drops below Bangladesh in Test rankings

Can you tell I get more and more positive about this series as I go on?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:12 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point about bowling last with Swann in full flow ... ah, the decisions to be made ... with the team I play for it's 'bat first' always because there is usually only about 7 blokes sitting around when the toss is made ...
I think if the weather isn't sunny and the pitch stays soft then Swann won't be as effective on the last day.

Also, if the weather is in, the last day may well be the fourth, or even the third (in play time, not necessarily real time), which would mean Swann will be holding up an end more than anything.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:23 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Burbage
I think if the weather isn't sunny and the pitch stays soft then Swann won't be as effective on the last day.

Also, if the weather is in, the last day may well be the fourth, or even the third (in play time, not necessarily real time), which would mean Swann will be holding up an end more than anything.
The Gabba is the bounciest wicket in the country and spinners love bounce only second to rough turn.

Additionally, Hauritz, who hardly turns the ball at all takes a fair few wickets at the Gabba. Warne & MacGill always loved it too.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:29 pm

Can you tell I get more and more positive about this series as I go on?
Bit disturbing, we're in unchartered territory.......am just listening to Freddie F on t' radio sounding a bit too confident - 'KP's too good to fail' etc

Jim Maxwell informs the weather will be good once the game starts in Brissy, pitch won't last even four days he reckons...
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bit disturbing, we're in unchartered territory.......am just listening to Freddie F on t' radio sounding a bit too confident - 'KP's too good to fail' etc

Jim Maxwell informs the weather will be good once the game starts in Brissy, pitch won't last even four days he reckons...
The one thing which I think could be England's undoing - their nasty habit of becoming complacent - assuming the series is in the bag, and so relaxing.......
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:07 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else following http://twitter.com/Aggerscricket ? Expatasia maybe??

His latest tweet " Just been sledged by Aussie taxi driver. "Jeez - you're Aggers.! You're a darned sight less handsome than you sound..." BRING IT ON...."
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:26 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

The Gabba is the bounciest wicket in the country and spinners love bounce only second to rough turn.

Additionally, Hauritz, who hardly turns the ball at all takes a fair few wickets at the Gabba. Warne & MacGill always loved it too.
They all played during the drought. This year it could be very different. If Anderson gets swing and is on song the match could be over in three days, Swann won't be required.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone else following http://twitter.com/Aggerscricket ? Expatasia maybe??

His latest tweet " Just been sledged by Aussie taxi driver. "Jeez - you're Aggers.! You're a darned sight less handsome than you sound..." BRING IT ON...."

Yep, credit to the feller though...at least he didn't say it in Serbo-Croat.

Lawrence Booth @the_topspin just posted link to this discussion:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...holds-key.html

Even Michael Holding goes for England.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:41 pm
Home and Happy

Yep, credit to the feller though...at least he didn't say it in Serbo-Croat.

Lawrence Booth @the_topspin just posted link to this discussion:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...holds-key.html

Even Michael Holding goes for England.
I keep throwing the odd cricket-related comment into conversations with people at work, but its as if they are all pretending its not happening. The only chat I've managed to have is with a Kiwi, no-one else is interested - usually they all walk round talking about thrashing the Poms, until we come out on top, at which point they all lose interest. This time they have lost interest before the start
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:06 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Well, in my opinion, England batsmen will be smirking slightly at the Australia decision that Siddle will start and Bollinger will be 12th man. They have played Siddle many times and he is predictable in many ways. Once you are in against Siddle he'll rarely get you out.

Bollinger is exactly the type of bowler Aus needed to keep things tight at one end to allow Johnson to let loose. Siddle can do this job, but he is not as consistent as Bollinger and will leak runs, which will put more pressure on Johnson's spells (quality and length of spells)

Personally, I am very happy by this selection, as I think Bollinger is to be feared.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:34 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in my opinion, England batsmen will be smirking slightly at the Australia decision that Siddle will start and Bollinger will be 12th man. They have played Siddle many times and he is predictable in many ways. Once you are in against Siddle he'll rarely get you out.

Bollinger is exactly the type of bowler Aus needed to keep things tight at one end to allow Johnson to let loose. Siddle can do this job, but he is not as consistent as Bollinger and will leak runs, which will put more pressure on Johnson's spells (quality and length of spells)

Personally, I am very happy by this selection, as I think Bollinger is to be feared.
Agree, it's another poor selection in my view too ... Siddle is workmanlike but that is all he is.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, it's another poor selection in my view too ... Siddle is workmanlike but that is all he is.
He also has that Aussie cricketer little 'spoilt bastard' frown - the one that Ponting, Clark, Lee, Warne, Mcgrath, Hayden etc have.

Last edited by Amazulu; Nov 23rd 2010 at 1:10 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.