Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone going to watch the Olympic opening ceremony live?

Is anyone going to watch the Olympic opening ceremony live?

Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone going to watch the Olympic opening ceremony live?

Originally Posted by Zen10
An interesting post but I certainly take issue with this sentiment. My reading of the situation is that people can be divided by different things and different groups and polarizations can be formed depending on the issue. On the issue of "self-loathing" as a nation, it seems clear to me that none are so proud as the English working class - the type that paint St George's crosses on their faces and pronounce England with three syllables. The ones that really loathe the place in the middle class are the right of centre Mailers, but the most proud are the British middle class Left who see places like Australia and South Africa as hopelessly backwards and inherently racist and look up strongly to mainland Europe, and more specifically Scandinavia, as social role models.
My view is that the Daily Mail (lower middle) and Telegraph (some of the rest) classes love the place - just are scared as to what they think is happening to it, or has happened to it.

My experience is that parts of both the working and established middle classes love the UK in equal amounts. Others are too left wing to be too noisy about it..

Certainly the middle class left are smug.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:31 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mar68
Not a big fan of Eddie McGuire but have to say that his commentary on Ch. 9 was very good. Not too talky he only broke in when there was a change in scene to explain what it was about. I watched it live and thought Ch 9 did a good job.
There were at least a couple of occasions where McGuire got confused with home nations though. i.e. "David Beckham - who was very disappointed not to get picked for the England soccer team for these Olympics."

...I'm sure even Mr Beckham with his limited intelligence realised that he was never in with a shot of being picked to play for England at the Olympics!
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:52 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My view is that the Daily Mail (lower middle) and Telegraph (some of the rest) classes love the place - just are scared as to what they think is happening to it, or has happened to it.

My experience is that parts of both the working and established middle classes love the UK in equal amounts. Others are too left wing to be too noisy about it..

Certainly the middle class left are smug.
When I say loathe it I mean what they think it is now, yes. Just read the comments on DM or Telegraph website to know what they think of it.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:23 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

What happened with Paul McCartney & the synch? I could hear a recording of the song playing, him singing along a good line or so behind...why was there a recording at all? Surely if he was live they might have a backing track at most to amplify the band but not a recording of the singing too? Either way, it was very very poor and it's time he was bloody retired.

Everything else was good, some absolutely fab. Thought the NHS thing was a bit weird, absolutely love the torch made from petals but do think Sir Steve should have lit it.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:39 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
What happened with Paul McCartney & the synch? I could hear a recording of the song playing, him singing along a good line or so behind...why was there a recording at all? Surely if he was live they might have a backing track at most to amplify the band but not a recording of the singing too? Either way, it was very very poor and it's time he was bloody retired.

Everything else was good, some absolutely fab. Thought the NHS thing was a bit weird, absolutely love the torch made from petals but do think Sir Steve should have lit it.
Ah yes well noticed! I heard that as well. The recording seemed to be a second or two ahead of McCartney. His singing was so awful I wished he had mimed.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

When I say loathe it I mean what they think it is now, yes. Just read the comments on DM or Telegraph website to know what they think of it.
I was having a chuckle only the other day.

Years ago,I got accustomed to hearing the liberal right on views of university lecturers so for me it was quite refreshing to hear my parents Oxbridge crowd, conservative but a pinch of Liberalism overindulge with pride occasionally. Many would never vacation overseas, for example.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:24 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes well noticed! I heard that as well. The recording seemed to be a second or two ahead of McCartney. His singing was so awful I wished he had mimed.
Yes, it really was third rate. Considering he's wheeled out for being such a legend, he rarely lives up to that status any more. He was very poor at the Jubilee too. Plus he actually seemed a bit stunned by the whole thing (meds hadn't kicked in maybe?). The whole 'now the ladies, now the lads' singing Hey Jude was beyond cringeworthy.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I quite enjoyed the highlights, anything that soundtracks Pink Floyd as the climax gets my vote.

I particularly liked the fact that they featured some of the stadium construction workers at the end during the flame running. Something about that got me.
Were the construction workers wearing orange or yellow? Given the flat pack recycle nature of the buildings perhaps they were dressed as ikea workers...

Originally Posted by RedT
Yes, it really was third rate. Considering he's wheeled out for being such a legend, he rarely lives up to that status any more. He was very poor at the Jubilee too. Plus he actually seemed a bit stunned by the whole thing (meds hadn't kicked in maybe?). The whole 'now the ladies, now the lads' singing Hey Jude was beyond cringeworthy.
From the perspective of a person who has been overseas for quite a few years, there is something quite cute about the antics of Brits being Brits...

there's the image of the offspring of one of the most important countries in the world..then there is the embarrassing image you might get when contemplating the last family gathering....On a sort of familiarity breeds contempt basis....

it would be the same for Australians searching Barnsey and Farnham.....
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:12 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I am watching beach volley ball naked.

Too weird?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by IvanM
I am watching beach volley ball naked.

Too weird?
Weirder than watching naked beach volley ball, that's for sure.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 11:14 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm who would have thought it's an Aussie made cauldron?

Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:47 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully I have only come across a couple of people here that have the 'anywhere else is better' attitude. it seems to be getting less common to hear those comments, possibly as people are becoming more worldly wise and realising it really isnt the case

I agree that the Aussies do think they are allowed to go completely over the top but other countries should be more subdued.

Originally Posted by Tr1boy

The Aussies I get on with least are the ones that have never lived anywhere else but like to think they know about other countries and still conclude that that Oz is best. And the Brits that I could happily take out and shoot are the ones that have not lived anywhere else and declare that Britain is a craphole and everywhere else in the world simply 'must be better'.

Oz just needs to learn that it does not have a monopoly on being proud. On one of my sporting forums someone was complaining that the Brits 'shove their wins in your face' and then said 'only Aussies are allowed to do that'. That's the kind of one eyed BS I can't stand.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats right, anything that can be considered offensive or in bad taste is in fact just the Aussie sense of humour

Originally Posted by Nanna9
Quote:"Only Aussies are allowed to do that" and "It's just so pathetic isn't it"

I am surprised that you didn't recognise this as laconic Australian humour....you know...that which we are not supposed to have. Almost always said with a dead pan face.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
Thats right, anything that can be considered offensive or in bad taste is in fact just the Aussie sense of humour
that comment quoted was ludicrous....clearly not straight up....
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:35 pm
Banned

I have no idea what that is all about but the cauldron was made by a small British company called Stage One in Yorkshire.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Hmmm who would have thought it's an Aussie made cauldron?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4PON7VJtJ4g

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.