Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else over Australia?

Is anyone else over Australia?

Old May 19th 2011, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all
Default Is anyone else over Australia?

Wow so over it this week man is this country relentlous. Not for the faint hearted thats for sure. Been here 2 years and it is sooooooooo fustrating. light a the end of the tunel? Hell no it was there then someone turned out the light and sealed up the tunel, then set the tunel on fire, then dissolved the ashes, then evaperated the water.

Sorry everyone i am a pom and i need to winge and let off my steam somewhere or i will go crazy.

No one will employ me because im not an Australian errrgggg, so many times we have been in this position. living costs go up EVERYDAY $1.54 for petrol????? food goes up every week. nandos some of there stuff gone up by $3.00 :0 its nearly $18.00 for a lunch there now thats a small drink med chip n a burger. What are they thinking.

I need a bloody job soooooooooo bad i do not want to have to go back to the hell hole of the UK every job i apply for i get a reply saying there only looking for Australian citezens. i have 1 year left on my apprenticeship which i couldnt finish in the UK because i lost my job like everyone else their. I cant finish it here because im not an Australian citezen. I have spoken to everyone i can think of and said let me pay for it myself please i just wana finish it so i can work to support my familly. no luck anywhere. sometimes i wonder what the hell are we going to do next. when will we get a break.

Please dont abuse me because my spelling is wrong or you dont like what im saying. i just needed to vent somewhere.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else over Australia?

"$1.54 for petrol????? food goes up every week. nandos some of there stuff gone up by $3.00 :0 its nearly $18.00 for a lunch there now thats a small drink med chip n a burger. What are they thinking."

a) Compare to the current price of petrol in the UK

b) Stop eating overpriced shit food
Old May 19th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by davidb1989
Wow so over it this week man is this country relentlous. Not for the faint hearted thats for sure. Been here 2 years and it is sooooooooo fustrating. light a the end of the tunel? Hell no it was there then someone turned out the light and sealed up the tunel, then set the tunel on fire, then dissolved the ashes, then evaperated the water.

Sorry everyone i am a pom and i need to winge and let off my steam somewhere or i will go crazy.

No one will employ me because im not an Australian errrgggg, so many times we have been in this position. living costs go up EVERYDAY $1.54 for petrol????? food goes up every week. nandos some of there stuff gone up by $3.00 :0 its nearly $18.00 for a lunch there now thats a small drink med chip n a burger. What are they thinking.

I need a bloody job soooooooooo bad i do not want to have to go back to the hell hole of the UK every job i apply for i get a reply saying there only looking for Australian citezens. i have 1 year left on my apprenticeship which i couldnt finish in the UK because i lost my job like everyone else their. I cant finish it here because im not an Australian citezen. I have spoken to everyone i can think of and said let me pay for it myself please i just wana finish it so i can work to support my familly. no luck anywhere. sometimes i wonder what the hell are we going to do next. when will we get a break.

Please dont abuse me because my spelling is wrong or you dont like what im saying. i just needed to vent somewhere.
Whats the apprenticeship in? Might be able to steer you towards someone in Brisbane and/or Townsville .... or Perth
Old May 19th 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DeadVim
"$1.54 for petrol????? food goes up every week. nandos some of there stuff gone up by $3.00 :0 its nearly $18.00 for a lunch there now thats a small drink med chip n a burger. What are they thinking."

a) Compare to the current price of petrol in the UK

b) Stop eating overpriced shit food
Problem with the petrol here is that you drive 5 times as far I find, agree on point b though, I started taking my own lunch to work years ago! Saves LOADS of money!
Old May 19th 2011, 8:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Problem with the petrol here is that you drive 5 times as far I find, agree on point b though, I started taking my own lunch to work years ago! Saves LOADS of money!
I probably drive about the same, I guess your mileage may differ
Old May 19th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

Whats the apprenticeship in? Might be able to steer you towards someone in Brisbane and/or Townsville .... or Perth
Hi it would be amazing if you could im in electrical but the problem is im not allowed to litterally only australians can do an apprenticeshipthat is the law. if i could get a job as a third year and just work as a third year i think that would be ok but i woulnt be allowed to progress so know one wants me.

thankyou
Old May 19th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi it would be amazing if you could im in electrical but the problem is im not allowed to litterally only australians can do an apprenticeshipthat is the law. if i could get a job as a third year and just work as a third year i think that would be ok but i woulnt be allowed to progress so know one wants me.

thankyou
also just to add yes i do take my own food to work now that was just an example. i noticed it the other day and it anoyed me. but the food in the super markets has gone up too. we shop between audi and coles to try and save money
Old May 19th 2011, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well a*se end of the world vs hell hole - what a choice huh. I'd take the hell hole any day of the week especially if you cant get a job here and, TBH, unfortunately, not likely to. What does your visa allow you to do? Apprenticeships go to citizens (and rightly so IMHO), your chances of finishing your apprenticeship would be largely improved in UK (not necessarily where you came from originally) then you can come back when you are skilled.

Good luck with finding a job somewhere but I agree, finishing your apprenticeship and getting some experience under your belt is going to be a priority. It may not be what you want in the immediate future but life is all about taking opportunities where you find them and Australia is probably always going to need sparkies (unless the Greens continue to wield their power in which case maybe you should diversify into candle making!)
Old May 19th 2011, 8:28 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The job market in many areas of Australia is appalling - and that's before you factor in the bizarre regulation imposed on low skill jobs and the massive hidden job market which you would never get access to anyway. Can you move to a different area? Flew out of Coolongatta a few weeks ago and after chatting to a few locals gleaned the economy is as poor there as it is where we are in Cairns (hotels at 25% occupancy, businesses boarding up daily. Try an uglier industrial town with mining money?

It's very tough especially as the country is so exy and if you want to a good whinge in private please pm me. I'm used to the frustration, diminishing self esteem and worries about cash flow.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

thankyou
I could only probably help you out if you were after some work in construction, we have chippies doing apprenticeships, but everyone else (labourers/scaffolders/crane drivers/ riggers) etc is just employed normally

Sorry!
Old May 19th 2011, 8:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
It's very tough especially as the country is so exy and if you want to a good whinge in private please pm me. I'm used to the frustration, diminishing self esteem and worries about cash flow.
OP, you might want to consider taking TE up on that, she really knows what she's on about.

TE: 25% hotel occupancy, with peak season just around the corner? that's incredibly worrying, it just shows how precarious the Aussie economy is. If China sneezes, we won't get a cold, we'll get double pneumonia!
Old May 19th 2011, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

What would you do if this was happening to you in the UK ? Are you allowed to look for work in different occupations and/or parts of the Country ? If not, then Quoll's answer is probably the go.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The job market in many areas of Australia is appalling - and that's before you factor in the bizarre regulation imposed on low skill jobs and the massive hidden job market which you would never get access to anyway. Can you move to a different area? Flew out of Coolongatta a few weeks ago and after chatting to a few locals gleaned the economy is as poor there as it is where we are in Cairns (hotels at 25% occupancy, businesses boarding up daily. Try an uglier industrial town with mining money?

thankyou for your support. yes i am willing to move to anywhere in australia. the econemy here is aufull i am just about to close my business as the return isnt big enought to even pay rent. Tourism being down afected us.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

I could only probably help you out if you were after some work in construction, we have chippies doing apprenticeships, but everyone else (labourers/scaffolders/crane drivers/ riggers) etc is just employed normally

Sorry!
i will literally do any thing i just need to earn some money to support my familly
Old May 19th 2011, 8:59 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou for your support. yes i am willing to move to anywhere in australia. the econemy here is aufull i am just about to close my business as the return isnt big enought to even pay rent. Tourism being down afected us.
The problem is having to just take a chance on somewhere you've never been and have no idea whether things will be better there. It's a bit of a stab in the dark. What sort of visa are you on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.