Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Old May 12th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
I think were going to have to agree to disagree. To me, the odd risk, being taking eyes of for a second, or maybe leaving a knife on the side when I should have put it away, is completely different to putting my lippy on and walking out the door and leaving them!
I think you're right.....

we will need to agree to disagree.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, as others have said there will be no harsher critics of the parents than themselves.

Let's just hope she's found safe and well.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

So what, I may leave some scissors out and they might cut themselves, or I might reverse my car one day and not see them, its hardly the same thing is it?

I don't really want to discuss it any further as I don't feel its appropriate on this thread but the fact is its wrong to leave three children under the age of four unattended in a holiday apartment in a foreign country, anyone that can't see that is on a completely different waive length to me so arguing about it would be a complete waste of time. Everyday dangers are different on such a huge scale that you just can't compare them, its illegal to leave children alone in homes!
Rachel
I completely agree with you.
Rachel
Old May 12th 2007, 1:21 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie George
T'wasn't a disaster, Mrs. You're just really, really prepared now. Really prepared! Come to Aus via Sydney - you know it makes sense.

I'll swap you my Aussie passport for your bub. (Nah, second thoughts! )

mate id give my right arm to visit sydney - never say never

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Ahhh, another one!
yep, but youre probably used to it by now
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but does sensible concern go out the window when you have a dinner reservation?
But...just to clarify!

Not at all.

I wouldn't leave my kids alone because of them waking up afraid, or opening the door, or sticking a knife in the toaster or whatever - child abduction would (I think rightly) never come into my thoughts. And also because I just like them to be with us because we're a family.

But I'm the type of parent who doesn't let the kids eat meat pies...!
Old May 12th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Rachel
I completely agree with you.
Rachel
Thanks Rachel,

Hope you and Adam and the girls are well, we'll have to get together when Fraser gets back
Old May 12th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I wonder if the person who took her, had been watching the apartment for days, if the parents had left her alone before - did the kidnapper know when they could take their chance to steal her?
According to a relative of the parents, they went out every night for long dinners without the children. Nine adults, leaving their eight children in various apartments... so an easy pattern for an observer.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:23 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
mate id give my right arm to visit sydney - never say never
*An invitation to a city does not pose a binding contract to stay with the proposee indefinitely*

(Just so we're clear! ) It would be great to be able to put faces to names after all this time. And, if you don't get down to us, Cairns is on the way to London, y'know.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

But...just to clarify!

Not at all.

I wouldn't leave my kids alone because of them waking up afraid, or opening the door, or sticking a knife in the toaster or whatever - child abduction would (I think rightly) never come into my thoughts. And also because I just like them to be with us because we're a family.

Yes, that would have been my primary concerns - I think that's why I find it hard to understand those actions.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

But...just to clarify!

Not at all.

Exactly!!!!! All of those things would come into your head first, which, for me, would make me want to get a take away and stay home with them. Child abduction would be the last on my mind too, but the fact that my kids might be afraid or could get themselves into danger would make me stay home.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:27 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
According to a relative of the parents, they went out every night for long dinners without the children. Nine adults, leaving their eight children in various apartments... so an easy pattern for an observer.
Im not a Mum so don't know how I would feel, but my instincts would tell me not to leave a child.

Not because of the fear of abduction, but because of what may happen.

I remember when my nephews were staying at my Mums - I think they were about 7, and they covered the lamp with a t shirt and it caught fire. No real damage as my sister/mum were there.

But can you imagine if they weren't?

Its about how quick kiddies can be and how much can happen in ten minutes let alone half an hour.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thats the thing with small children, leave them for even five minutes by themselves and all hell can break loose. You can't leave them because at that age they have no control orunderstanding of the consequences of their actions.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:33 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the thing with small children, leave them for even five minutes by themselves and all hell can break loose. You can't leave them because at that age they have no control orunderstanding of the consequences of their actions.
Ive just remembered something else.

My Mum was out one day round a neighbours and my older sister was looking after us (she was a teen).

Another sister had left a cushion by the fire and it had started smouldering. Luckily older sister put it out but we were shaken and there were 4 of us, oldest being a teen.

Can you imagine what two toddlers can get up to in half an hour in an apartment with noone looking out for them, let alone a big sister?

Also, I am wondering if it was exactly every half an hour, or did that half an hour become an hour?

I know its not important now, and all that matters is that Maddy is found.

But you have to admit that a whole can of worms has been opened.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie George
*An invitation to a city does not pose a binding contract to stay with the proposee indefinitely*

(Just so we're clear! ) It would be great to be able to put faces to names after all this time. And, if you don't get down to us, Cairns is on the way to London, y'know.
LOL!!

jed just came home and i put the idea of via sydney to him but he says we are skint (which i knew incidentally but so what!!)

you better come up to ken's then mate
Old May 12th 2007, 1:37 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
LOL!!

jed just came home and i put the idea of via sydney to him but he says we are skint (which i knew incidentally but so what!!)

you better come up to ken's then mate
Done. Do you think Bixie'll mind another two?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.