All the Gear

Old Dec 11th 2015, 4:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Got an Huawei P8 to replace my Sony as its 8Gb internal storage was pissing me off. At $349 ($618/679 best UK/US price) at DS a total bargain. A beautiful phone - looks like a cross between an iphone and a Sony Z3. Well made and I like their version of Android. 4G is good. Battery is no great shakes and charging time is slower than I'm used to but for the money I'm not complaining. Also has the best packaging I've ever seen on a consumer electronics product

Paying $1100 outright for a phone is for muppets and the gullible

The Chinese are coming

DS still has it on sale ATM
Old Dec 11th 2015, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Got an Huawei P8 to replace my Sony as its 8Gb internal storage was pissing me off. At $349 ($618/679 best UK/US price) at DS a total bargain. A beautiful phone - looks like a cross between an iphone and a Sony Z3. Well made and I like their version of Android. 4G is good. Battery is no great shakes and charging time is slower than I'm used to but for the money I'm not complaining. Also has the best packaging I've ever seen on a consumer electronics product

Paying $1100 outright for a phone is for muppets and the gullible

The Chinese are coming

DS still has it on sale ATM
Joys of a work financed contract. No skimping needed.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 6:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Joys of a work financed contract. No skimping needed.
Cool

Thankfully, my job does not require me to have a mobile so one is not provided and being a contractor I get paid in actual money not 'perks'

From what I can see so far there is little skimping on the P8. It's a lovely piece of technology

Last edited by Amazulu; Dec 11th 2015 at 7:13 am.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Cool

Thankfully, my job does not require me to have a mobile so one is not provided and being a contractor I get paid in actual money not 'perks'

From what I can see so far there is little skimping on the P8. It's a lovely piece of technology
Ha ha. Perks hey. I think they would show me the door if I refused a mobile phone. Tool for the job unfortunately.

Anyhow. Another one for Android.

Big banks opt for Android over Apple Pay | smh.com.au
Old Dec 15th 2015, 7:27 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Typical, my bank isn't one of them.

I do wish they would sort NFC card emulation of Myki on phones. It's hardly the most complex of things to do.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Typical, my bank isn't one of them.

I do wish they would sort NFC card emulation of Myki on phones. It's hardly the most complex of things to do.
That's grandpa Commonwealth Bank for you. When they do evenutally go they will probably team up with another grandpa like Blackberry or Apple.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 8:20 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

That's grandpa Commonwealth Bank for you. When they do evenutally go they will probably team up with another grandpa like Blackberry or Apple.
Nah, it's NAB - who seem to be slow to get their finger out on everything. I know some people on the IT side of NAB, so I might ping them and find out if there are any moves afoot. Probably not.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apples biggest achillies heal IOS ......... drum roll ............ front page news. ....... enter iOS9.

http://m.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/ios-93-beta-shows-off-big-changes-coming-to-iphone-and-ipad-20160112-gm416p.html

See what happens when you lock the users into the ecosystem, you don't need to do any work.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looks like the falling $A is starting to have an effect.

GoPro now RRP the Hero 4 Black at $750. You can still get it at $550 at a few places, but not many.

That's a big hike.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Looks like the falling $A is starting to have an effect.

GoPro now RRP the Hero 4 Black at $750. You can still get it at $550 at a few places, but not many.

That's a big hike.
Mmmm maybe. RRP is never a good indication as most places, apart from maybe small independent retailers, always sell below RRP. Look at TVs. RRP may have gone up but they have never been cheaper - a trip to TGG or JB will show you that

Anyone who pays $750 for a GoPro is a moron and there are good, cheaper alternatives to GoPro anyway

And remember that they are nearly always paying more in the UK than here for electronics
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mmmm maybe. RRP is never a good indication as most places, apart from maybe small independent retailers, always sell below RRP. Look at TVs. RRP may have gone up but they have never been cheaper - a trip to TGG or JB will show you that

Anyone who pays $750 for a GoPro is a moron and there are good, cheaper alternatives to GoPro anyway

And remember that they are nearly always paying more in the UK than here for electronics
There's a lot of stores now trying to flog the Hero Black 4 for +$700. It was around the mid $500's.

Unfortunately the only camera I can see the does 4k at 25/30fps and Full HD at 120 fps is the Sony which is around the $500+ mark.

Unless you know of any other brands around with those specs ?
Old Feb 15th 2016, 4:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

There's a lot of stores now trying to flog the Hero Black 4 for +$700. It was around the mid $500's.

Unfortunately the only camera I can see the does 4k at 25/30fps and Full HD at 120 fps is the Sony which is around the $500+ mark.

Unless you know of any other brands around with those specs ?
Again, RRP is immaterial as there are plenty of retailers selling for way less than RRP. A quick scan on shopbot has it for sale at $543 plus delivery. See if you can get TGG or JB to price match and either way - boom - not $750. So, again, anyone paying $750 is a retard

Like you said, Sony is an option. Some of the drone FPV guys are having good results with the knock-off GoPros that you can get on Banggood, Gearbest etc. Because weight is linked to performance and endurance in aviation, I've gone for Mobius for my drones. Sure, not as capable as GP but I can get good quality HD video for about AUD90. Mobius is incredible value for the money and has a complete range of accessories. It is not waterproof though but for my needs is perfect
Old Feb 15th 2016, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Again, RRP is immaterial as there are plenty of retailers selling for way less than RRP. A quick scan on shopbot has it for sale at $543 plus delivery. See if you can get TGG or JB to price match and either way - boom - not $750. So, again, anyone paying $750 is a retard

Like you said, Sony is an option. Some of the drone FPV guys are having good results with the knock-off GoPros that you can get on Banggood, Gearbest etc. Because weight is linked to performance and endurance in aviation, I've gone for Mobius for my drones. Sure, not as capable as GP but I can get good quality HD video for about AUD90. Mobius is incredible value for the money and has a complete range of accessories. It is not waterproof though but for my needs is perfect
So that's what I'm saying. Old stock is still at the $500 level. New stock at the $750. This is the start of the electronics price rise.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

So that's what I'm saying. Old stock is still at the $500 level. New stock at the $750. This is the start of the electronics price rise.

We'll see. AUD has been down for ages now and I have yet to see any real increase in prices and as I was saying with TVs, many models look like they've gone down in price - there are certainly some great deals out there. The big players will have negotiated better deals in order to limit price increases
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This looks kind of interesting. Strap on lenses for your smartphone.

https://hdfx360.com/pre/au/index.html?Affid=789&s1=hdfxfbaustralia1&s2=&s3=&s 4=&s5=27775663

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.