Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

3 Years on , back in UK

3 Years on , back in UK

Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:21 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Years on , back in UK

Originally Posted by rossifumi
I have seen a lot of aviation jobs advertised for that region in the past few weeks. Which airline company did you work for in the early days then?
Servisair - a.k.a. Circus Air
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Don't do it renth! It's a nice place for a holiday in winter but on my recent visit I got the distinct impression from the locals that they were un happy to live there. Plenty of bad words said about the place from those I met and also what I heard on the local radio while I was there. The customer service was by a at least twice as bad as I've seen elsewhere here. One example was a visit to a chemist to get some baby panadol. Woman firstly wouldn't serve us as it was the wrong till, then the next till went off to make a cup of tea while we were standing there and made us wait. She then didn't know the price and refused to go and find out so we had to, then she only wanted the exact change!! Simular happened at the car rental desk and macdonalds!

Steer clear I'd say, I'll add the place to my comparison table one day but I'll have to add a few columns for dropouts and looneys, and grumpyness.
Oh dear, sounds dodgy. I have mixed memories of Cairns, the good times shagging swedish backpackers and the bad times having my mighty Suzuki DR600 which I'd ridden from Perth stolen and trashed.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:25 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth
the good times shagging swedish backpackers.
Females I hope!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:40 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, sounds dodgy. I have mixed memories of Cairns, the good times shagging swedish backpackers and the bad times having my mighty Suzuki DR600 which I'd ridden from Perth stolen and trashed.
Same here mate (the mixed memories part).

Good: SO many activities do to from there & cracking weather in winter.

Good/bizarre: Walking past an ocker pub, having to double back & look again, cracking looking brunette in nothing more than a g-string & pair of flip-flops standing quite nonchalantly at the bar, speaking away to two ocker-types who strangely seemed oblivious to the fact she was practically naked as they engaged in conversation.

Bad: The only place on Earth I can remember being racially abused.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Same here mate (the mixed memories part).

Good: SO many activities do to from there & cracking weather in winter.

Good/bizarre: Walking past an ocker pub, having to double back & look again, cracking looking brunette in nothing more than a g-string & pair of flip-flops standing quite nonchalantly at the bar, speaking away to two ocker-types who strangely seemed oblivious to the fact she was practically naked as they engaged in conversation.

Bad: The only place on Earth I can remember being racially abused.
Like you & Renth I have great memories of the place (Danish in my case) but it is the only place I have been to in Australia where I was truly scared that I was going to get my head kicked in. There is a definite undercurrent there.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:51 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzymaz
Well, they do say love is blind...... and yes I would say you are very lucky to find anyone who is prepared to listen to your drivel!!
Nice, always thought Jockland would be a lovely place to live if the English had finished the job they started and cleared all of it of jocks
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:30 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Females I hope!
He was probably too drunk to notice the difference.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:41 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Did your new bride to be cost much off the internet?
You mistake me for an Aussie , do they not buy Asian take aways as no other would entertain them , even Mr Murdoch
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gary stewart
What is wrong with that you pompous git
Australia uses its immigration policy to drive wages down so it offers an open door to people who fill the lower end of the jobs market and thus keep wages in check , even Doctors can find it hard to get registered by Medicare even if they get a Visa.
Look at the advertised vacancies in any Aussie paper , the locals are not interested in becoming brickies , hairdressers and the like , immo's have their place .
I have met few highly qualified Poms in OZ , even the well qualified Aussies seek employment overseas in order to earn a better living .
Do you think that Australia cannot train its people to do such manual labour with the amount of unemployed it has
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by abergas
Blimey Pommie Bastard! heard you were back, good to see you haven't lost your touch Give this man some respect, after being here 3 years, i now know exactly where he's coming from!
Nice to see that you have done 3 years in WA ,must seem like a life time .
Have you not got a rather good Golf course in or near Port Kennedy ,years back a bus load of us from the Moon and Sixpence in Woodvale Perth had a jolly good day down your way , I lost 28 golf balls playing Ambrose rules, might have been something to do drinking from 7am in the morning
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a look at Darwin, I looked at Cairns when I was travelling, but there didn't seem to be the same opportunties for work there as there was in Darwin. I never had a problem getting work there and you also have a big military base there. You are isolated from the rest of Australia, but are of course nearer to the outside world when you want a change. I didn't like it inititially when I first went there, but went back later years later and liked it. In fact I went there for a holiday, got work and stayed there for a couple of years. Like anything its who you meet, but it is so different to the rest of Oz.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

ozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by pommie bastard
Nice, always thought Jockland would be a lovely place to live if the English had finished the job they started and cleared all of it of jocks

Exactly the kind of reply I expected from you.....what has my being a 'Jock' got to do with anything?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzymaz
Exactly the kind of reply I expected from you.....what has my being a 'Jock' got to do with anything?
Your comments seemed very along the lines of Rangers or Celtic Jock , limited outlook
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
while Britain's young people are all hard at work studying in the library
They have no time for that , busy watching real life programs like Home and Away
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:43 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Have you had a look at Darwin, I looked at Cairns when I was travelling, but there didn't seem to be the same opportunties for work there as there was in Darwin. I never had a problem getting work there and you also have a big military base there. You are isolated from the rest of Australia, but are of course nearer to the outside world when you want a change. I didn't like it inititially when I first went there, but went back later years later and liked it. In fact I went there for a holiday, got work and stayed there for a couple of years. Like anything its who you meet, but it is so different to the rest of Oz.
Is it just me or do all the cities here seem to be at the arse end of nowhere? I was always told not to live in Perth as it was the arse end of nowhere, but since then I've found that every city seems to be equaly remote. (Another reason I think I like Canberra). Never known a country that has so many arses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.