Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

3 Years on , back in UK

3 Years on , back in UK

Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Years on , back in UK

And for all the qualifications, diplomas, courses and licences - my builder says it's virtually impossible to get a plumber who is halfway competent!

It's easy to understand the frustration of experienced men who find they cannot work while at the same time seeing licenced cowboys raking it in.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Cant see what you dont understand, interstate but australian trained, australian experience, australian regualations, compared to UK trained, UK site experience, UK regulations.

If youve found a builder/tradesman not working to QBSA regs, the owner of the site/job can complain to the QBSA, have them held responsible for what they have done wrong, thats why there is a licence.

No generalisation about poms not understanding the system, most dont, several comments here reflect that, and do every time this subject is posted

Best person to sum it up took a exam here for a licence, commented the aussie building examiner was a bit thick, he didnt have a clue what the pommy tradesman was doing or talking about. It couldnt have been because its done different here could it
You dont understand because you can't be bothered to read, so I'll try again.
I am a fully licenced plumber with the Plumbers and Drainers Board in Queensland.
I have completed a Queensland business course approved by the QBSA.
I have completed all the necessary endorsements.
I satisfy all QBSA financial criteria.
If I was applying for a QBSA plumbing contractors licence from interstate there would be no problem (which is why I am now applying for a NSW licence so I can apply to the QBSA via the interstate route).
QBSA issue plumbing licences based on the TAFE plumbing course which I haven't done as I am a C&GLI plumber.
The TAFE plumbers course includes minor elements in gasfitting and drainage which are not available separately, although gasfitting and drainage are trades licenced on their own.
I already have a QBSA gasfitting licence, my CGLI drainers qualifications are not recognised here therefore I cannot have a QBSA drainers licence (not that I have any desire to work in a trench with a digger bucket dangling above my head).
The QBSA legislation is avoided by many Australian tradesmen which as we both know is illegal and carries severe penalties.
I won't go on any further as I'm in danger of boring anyone else who has already grasped this issue from reading previous posts.
Please let me know if there's anything you require clarifying.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Please let me know if there's anything you require clarifying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. When did this become a plumbing forum and why when someone gives you their opinion do you have to be so patronising and facetious?! And what i mean by those two words is..............
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:20 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

Yeah. When did this become a plumbing forum and why when someone gives you their opinion do you have to be so patronising and facetious?! And what i mean by those two words is..............[/QUOTE]

rugbymatt, I was worried that you had left us...things now seem so much brighter...!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:23 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

rugbymatt, I was worried that you had left us...things now seem so much brighter...![/QUOTE]

No way man. I'm here to stay, and even when i get out to Australia i will still be here to irritate people!!! And I'm so glad i bring a little ray of sunshine into your life.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:25 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

rugbymatt, I was worried that you had left us...things now seem so much brighter...!

No way man. I'm here to stay, and even when i get out to Australia i will still be here to irritate people!!! And I'm so glad i bring a little ray of sunshine into your life.[/QUOTE]

oh you are a little ray....yup I wanted to know why we had become a plumbing forum - isn't there a particular forum for plumbers somewhere on this site?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:32 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by busterboy
No way man. I'm here to stay, and even when i get out to Australia i will still be here to irritate people!!! And I'm so glad i bring a little ray of sunshine into your life.

oh you are a little ray....yup I wanted to know why we had become a plumbing forum - isn't there a particular forum for plumbers somewhere on this site?[/QUOTE]

Yeah i know!! i think its really PB trying to get the thread SO boring that i give up and go elsewhere!!!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. When did this become a plumbing forum and why when someone gives you their opinion do you have to be so patronising and facetious?! And what i mean by those two words is..............[/QUOTE]

Just addressing the points raised. Patronising fair enough, but facetious.... I never intended to be amusing (thats what the dictionary says). You never did state what you meant with those two words.......
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:09 am
Straw Man.

Just addressing the points raised. Patronising fair enough, but facetious.... I never intended to be amusing (thats what the dictionary says). You never did state what you meant with those two words.......[/QUOTE]

I never intended to mean anything with those two words! And yeah great address any points that you want to, its a free world, but things just spiral out of control it seams, people argue about the most minuscule of points, there is a really good thread on plumbing and the like that i looked at last night and it seams to be a good place to sort the men out from the boys but all to often these threads end up in OZ bad UK good or visa versa and a decent into the anarchy of fact comparisons. Dont you think?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
You dont understand because you can't be bothered to read, so I'll try again.
I am a fully licenced plumber with the Plumbers and Drainers Board in Queensland.
I have completed a Queensland business course approved by the QBSA.
I have completed all the necessary endorsements.
I satisfy all QBSA financial criteria.
If I was applying for a QBSA plumbing contractors licence from interstate there would be no problem (which is why I am now applying for a NSW licence so I can apply to the QBSA via the interstate route).
QBSA issue plumbing licences based on the TAFE plumbing course which I haven't done as I am a C&GLI plumber.
The TAFE plumbers course includes minor elements in gasfitting and drainage which are not available separately, although gasfitting and drainage are trades licenced on their own.
I already have a QBSA gasfitting licence, my CGLI drainers qualifications are not recognised here therefore I cannot have a QBSA drainers licence (not that I have any desire to work in a trench with a digger bucket dangling above my head).
The QBSA legislation is avoided by many Australian tradesmen which as we both know is illegal and carries severe penalties.
I won't go on any further as I'm in danger of boring anyone else who has already grasped this issue from reading previous posts.
Only why you have to reply like a wanker, apart from that not really.

No I havent read all 181 pages of this thread nor are you interesting enough for me to have read every one of your posts.

You seem to know little for eg business course in some trades is a new requirement, not about race absolute crap. Race is the point I addressed before, that went right over your head for someone who knows so much.

As for being different, we have given 4 pom tradesmen the chance to quote on jobs, 3 out of 4 times they havent even known enough about aussie regs to price the friggin quote properly Anything they requried to submit in plan form would not have passed certification.

Some good pom blokes out here but many need a hell of a lot of site experience before they know what they are doing to meet the ever increasing crap you need to do a days work here.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Just addressing the points raised. Patronising fair enough, but facetious.... I never intended to be amusing (thats what the dictionary says). You never did state what you meant with those two words.......

I never intended to mean anything with those two words! And yeah great address any points that you want to, its a free world, but things just spiral out of control it seams, people argue about the most minuscule of points, there is a really good thread on plumbing and the like that i looked at last night and it seams to be a good place to sort the men out from the boys but all to often these threads end up in OZ bad UK good or visa versa and a decent into the anarchy of fact comparisons. Dont you think?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. But I've just come back from taking the dog a walk planning my first typewriter fight. Maybe next time you big poof.
I did go on too much, but after wrangling with this licencing shit all day and thinking I'm being informative with the dude trying to get his licence sorted
another bloke enters the fray and tells me I'm a wingein pom who misses the bleedin obvious (or somat like that).
I'll stop now before I say too much again.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:51 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
I never intended to mean anything with those two
Yeah. But I've just come back from taking the dog a walk planning my first typewriter fight. Maybe next time you big poof.
I did go on too much, but after wrangling with this licencing shit all day and thinking I'm being informative with the dude trying to get his licence sorted
another bloke enters the fray and tells me I'm a wingein pom who misses the bleedin obvious (or somat like that).
I'll stop now before I say too much again.

Say as much as you want big boy! What has your dog walk got to do with shit and listen up my man if you start throwing frigging insults around i suggest you take yourself outside and give yourself a slap!!! I couldn't give a toss if you were trying to sort out the third world debt problem, my point was that your tone was simply winding people up the wrong way! Dont confuse a bit of jovial banter with an attack on you or your life, the truth is i dont give a toss about either! And i never said whinging pomme or any other crap like that, quote me correctly next time! PS I'm out in march so if ya want we can meet up.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:54 am
A rather curious boy

Say as much as you want big boy! What has your dog walk got to do with shit and listen up my man if you start throwing frigging insults around i suggest you take yourself outside and give yourself a slap!!! I couldn't give a toss if you were trying to sort out the third world debt problem, my point was that your tone was simply winding people up the wrong way! Dont confuse a bit of jovial banter with an attack on you or your life, the truth is i dont give a toss about either! And i never said whinging pomme or any other crap like that, quote me correctly next time! PS I'm out in march so if ya want we can meet up.
...is this a very in advance...'wanna go outside' or just an invitation for a civilised drink? eh?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=jad n rich]Only why you have to reply like a wanker, apart from that not really.

I feel I'm probably turning into a bitter and twisted individual due to the frustration caused by business licensing. Trade competancy is not an issue in this case. I was also trying to stress that I have aussie trade associates who prefer not to comply with licence requirements for their own reasons, hence it's not just us foreigners who are lacking.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

OK. I'm putting eye of the tiger on and getting ready.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.