British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   3 Years on , back in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/3-years-back-uk-388453/)

pommie bastard Aug 3rd 2006 10:39 am

3 Years on , back in UK

Just thought I would see if the content of the site had moved on , sadly its not.
Still full of dreamers and near do wells who post newspaper clippings to prove the unlucky country is better than the UK , any one who picks fault with Aussies or OZ beware , no quarter will be given.
Having returned to the UK I cannot say I miss Perth , far from it , I travel more , enjoy seeing family and friends also have managed to gain very well paid employment so life is good .
The press paint a bleak picture of the UK , so I shall give my impressions how the UK has changed in the 10 years while I was in exile .
For a start people are more wealthy in general thanks to low unemployment and high house prices also low interest rates, have never seen so many Mercs , BMW's and top of the range motors on the roads in my life.
Having a holiday home abroad is no longer a dream , its very common , the TV channels have grown beyond number so have the Radio stations .
The Indian immigrates have on the whole become very English in dress and outlook ,most new immigrates from Europe are no different to most of those off to OZ .
The weathers very mild in the Midlands, winters are cool but little if any snow or frosts , summers seem warmer now , spring and autumn are full of colour .
People still have a great sense of humour and being English is more to the fore front , St George flags flying every where.
The media which is still mostly owned by some Aussie/Yank , is sinking to new depths by the day , reflects its owners culture very down market, real news is hard to find.
Well in general I cannot compare a cultured country to one with none , Australia still has to find a place in the world , hopefully it will grow to be the place of dreams but that day is far away , shallow country with no new ideas or direction.

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2006 10:51 am

Re: 3 Years on , back in UK

Wow, now THERE'S a blast from the past :D
Kinver, wasn't it???? ;)

Bix Aug 3rd 2006 10:52 am

**** me..........he's not dead. :scared:

Someone remove the headstone quick, and for gawds sake don't let him read the epitaph. :D

cresta57 Aug 3rd 2006 10:53 am

Speak of the devil :eek: :D :D

steandleigh Aug 3rd 2006 10:55 am

Wilf...where are you?

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2006 10:56 am

We'll have dear old Dotty back next :D

Hutch Aug 3rd 2006 10:56 am

Originally Posted by pommie bastard
Just thought I would see if the content of the site had moved on , sadly its not.
Still full of dreamers and near do wells who post newspaper clippings to prove the unlucky country is better than the UK , any one who picks fault with Aussies or OZ beware , no quarter will be given.
Having returned to the UK I cannot say I miss Perth , far from it , I travel more , enjoy seeing family and friends also have managed to gain very well paid employment so life is good .
The press paint a bleak picture of the UK , so I shall give my impressions how the UK has changed in the 10 years while I was in exile .
For a start people are more wealthy in general thanks to low unemployment and high house prices also low interest rates, have never seen so many Mercs , BMW's and top of the range motors on the roads in my life.
Having a holiday home abroad is no longer a dream , its very common , the TV channels have grown beyond number so have the Radio stations .
The Indian immigrates have on the whole become very English in dress and outlook ,most new immigrates from Europe are no different to most of those off to OZ .
The weathers very mild in the Midlands, winters are cool but little if any snow or frosts , summers seem warmer now , spring and autumn are full of colour .
People still have a great sense of humour and being English is more to the fore front , St George flags flying every where.
The media which is still mostly owned by some Aussie/Yank , is sinking to new depths by the day , reflects its owners culture very down market, real news is hard to find.
Well in general I cannot compare a cultured country to one with none , Australia still has to find a place in the world , hopefully it will grow to be the place of dreams but that day is far away , shallow country with no new ideas or direction.

You want to change your location tag.

turtletom Aug 3rd 2006 10:57 am

That will Dink Dank DO for me mate! :D

blackcountrygirl Aug 3rd 2006 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
You want to change your location tag.

Well Pommie you must be living in a very different midlands to what we hear about, we hear nothing but doom and gloom and the people long to get away from it, glad your there and not us

seang Aug 3rd 2006 11:01 am

*collapses on floor clutching heart*

Hutch Aug 3rd 2006 11:04 am

Wonder if any of the other old posters of lore will crawl out of the woodwork ... don't seem to recall the name PB being mentioned without a following 'Dotty'.

Mrs JFW Aug 3rd 2006 11:05 am

A question to the OP

...just out of interest did you live anywhere else in Oz other than Perth?

Suni&Jay Aug 3rd 2006 11:07 am

Maybe he's still got his rose tinted spec's on ;)
or theres another W.mids to the one I live in :rolleyes:

:D

Suni

Hutch Aug 3rd 2006 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Maybe he's still got his rose tinted spec's on ;)
or theres another W.mids to the one I live in :rolleyes:

:D

Suni

If it's good enough for Arkon ... oh wait ... :D

Bix Aug 3rd 2006 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Wonder if any of the other old posters of lore will crawl out of the woodwork ... don't seem to recall the name PB being mentioned without a following 'Dotty'.

I heard her Harley had a puncture.