Schools in Barbados

Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:28 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
emmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant future
Default Schools in Barbados

We are a family with 4 children aged from 3 - 15 planning to relocate to Barbados. we intend to place the eldest in a UK boarding school until he finishes his GCSEs next June and then bring him out to join us to take his A levels or equivalent. At this point in time we are looking for decent schools for the other 3 and are particularly concerned about our 13 year old daughter. As she hasn't sat the 11 plus would she be able to sit an age appropriate entrance exam for one of the grammar schools or what are the decent alternatives. Any advice would be much appreciated.
emmewebb is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:30 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Originally Posted by emmewebb
We are a family with 4 children aged from 3 - 15 planning to relocate to Barbados. we intend to place the eldest in a UK boarding school until he finishes his GCSEs next June and then bring him out to join us to take his A levels or equivalent. At this point in time we are looking for decent schools for the other 3 and are particularly concerned about our 13 year old daughter. As she hasn't sat the 11 plus would she be able to sit an age appropriate entrance exam for one of the grammar schools or what are the decent alternatives. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Try the Codrington school - goes from pre-prep to secondary. Its private but good http://www.codrington.edu.bb/cs/Public/default.ASP

and St Gabriels I know is the top primary school - again private.
username 34 is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:26 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
emmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant futureemmewebb has a brilliant future
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Thanks.. just got back from a trip to Barbados - visited St Gabriels but wasn't overly impressed. the lady in the office could barely be bothered to give me any information, the school looked really scruffy. I know that appearances can be deceptive but first impressions are important - if they can't be bothered to give the school a lick of paint or smile at you what else can't they be bothered with? St Winifred's were very helpful even though they have no space!

Wish I was back in sunny barbados.
emmewebb is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:33 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Originally Posted by emmewebb
Thanks.. just got back from a trip to Barbados - visited St Gabriels but wasn't overly impressed. the lady in the office could barely be bothered to give me any information, the school looked really scruffy. I know that appearances can be deceptive but first impressions are important - if they can't be bothered to give the school a lick of paint or smile at you what else can't they be bothered with? St Winifred's were very helpful even though they have no space!

Wish I was back in sunny barbados.
very interesting.... I havent been to St Gabriels - only heard its reputation as "the must go to school" for expat kids, makes me chuckle as a friend of mine who thinks she's the dogs fricking bollocks and everything she does is exclusive and fantastic sends her kids there and constantly tells me how ****ing wonderful it is!! now I'll just laugh....
username 34 is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:34 am
  #5  
 
Sunniebgi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 1,298
Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Originally Posted by islandmom
very interesting.... I havent been to St Gabriels - only heard its reputation as "the must go to school" for expat kids, makes me chuckle as a friend of mine who thinks she's the dogs fricking bollocks and everything she does is exclusive and fantastic sends her kids there and constantly tells me how ****ing wonderful it is!! now I'll just laugh....

Islandmom, I would have to say then, that the friend who told you about St. Gabriel's must not be a friend if you talk about that person the way you have above.

To Emmewebb,

I'm sorry about your experience at St. Gabriel's. I have lived on the island for 14years, have 3 children ages 10 1/2, 9, and 4 1/2 who all go to St. Gabriel's and I couldn't ask for a better school. Well rounded education, Good mix of expats and locals (of which I can be considered one as my husband was born and raised here and all 3 of my children were born here)

While you may be correct about the coat of paint (I'll have to ask the headmistress when the last time the school had one), I will absolutely apologies for the person in the office. The main receptionist has been with the school for a long time and should in no way be confused with someone who couldn't bother with anything.. (unfortunately you may be talking about the person who is our schools financial officer and who, quite frankly, does need a lesson or 2 in being nice to strangers, or even non strangers).

I hope that you were able to find a suitible school for all of your children and that things are going well (if you have already moved to Barbados).
Sunniebgi is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:40 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Islandmom, I would have to say then, that the friend who told you about St. Gabriel's must not be a friend if you talk about that person the way you have above.
).

she is a friend - we both do things that annoy the crap out of each other, doesnt mean we're not friends..

so I suggest you dont comment on my relationships with other people when you havent a clue about me or them.
username 34 is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:14 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
Rum_Bo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Now Now girls - Chill out and fire a rum

Having 2 lads 5 & 6 going to school on the island heres my 2 penny worth.

St G & St W both at collymore rock are a nightmare to get to in the morning traffic, allow up to 2 hours of endless traffic cues. also the local consesnsus is that they have lowered thier standards over the past few years, class numbers are high, many locals are moveing or considering moving thier children to other schools.

allthough i must admit that my wife tends to deal with the kids education, I believe she is more than happy with Will's primary, its located in Dover, so no trafiic Worries, unless you live on the west coast, class sizes are small and the teachers are great, recently there have been new kids joining the school from St G & ST W, all complain about the schools.

we are just back from a cruise, were we became friends with an english couple who had a son the same age as our 6 year old, it was very noticable the level of knowledge and understanding betwen the two of them.

I belive the new school at Codrington is getting very good reviews as well. but is a lttle bit more expensive than other schools.

Wills fees are currently $600.00 US a term, school dinners can be purchased seperatly, after school activities can be purchased as well, not sure of the full list but ours do, Karate, Football, Swimming, Tennis. all in its about $1,000.00 US a term.

Hope this helps.

Phil




Originally Posted by islandmom
she is a friend - we both do things that annoy the crap out of each other, doesnt mean we're not friends..

so I suggest you dont comment on my relationships with other people when you havent a clue about me or them.
Rum_Bo is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:44 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

We are considering moving to Barbados and want to know more about the schools there. Can anyone list for me the private boys schools and tell me what experience you have had with them?
I have heard of Codrington (maybe good, but quite expensive); St. Winifred's & St. Gabriel's (some mixed reviews in this thread); Ursuline, and Dottin's.

Are there any others? Are they any good?

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Aloha,
Olderman is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:48 pm
  #9  
 
Sunniebgi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 1,298
Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Originally Posted by Olderman View Post
We are considering moving to Barbados and want to know more about the schools there. Can anyone list for me the private boys schools and tell me what experience you have had with them?
I have heard of Codrington (maybe good, but quite expensive); St. Winifred's & St. Gabriel's (some mixed reviews in this thread); Ursuline, and Dottin's.

Are there any others? Are they any good?

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Aloha,
What are the ages of your child/children.

There is (to my knowledge) one all boys private primary, thats St. Cyprians School (very strict very bajan). Dottins is a secondary school. Winifreds, Gabriel's, and Ursuline convent ST. Angelas are only primary to age 11 for mixed boys and girls.. Ursuline Convent St. Ursulas and St. Winifred's have secondary for girls only. Codrington has secondary as well as primary mixed, but I believe they are full for the next couple of years, but you should write to them anyway if interested.

They are all very good schools and they all except Codrington, follow the Barbados Government schools curriculum
Sunniebgi is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:05 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi View Post
What are the ages of your child/children.

There is (to my knowledge) one all boys private primary, thats St. Cyprians School (very strict very bajan). Dottins is a secondary school. Winifreds, Gabriel's, and Ursuline convent ST. Angelas are only primary to age 11 for mixed boys and girls.. Ursuline Convent St. Ursulas and St. Winifred's have secondary for girls only. Codrington has secondary as well as primary mixed, but I believe they are full for the next couple of years, but you should write to them anyway if interested.

They are all very good schools and they all except Codrington, follow the Barbados Government schools curriculum
Thanks for the info. Some questions: You say that "St. Cyprians School (very strict very bajan)". What exactly do you mean by that?

Does anyone out there have any experience with specific schools that they could say were good or bad? (Either primary or secondary)
(my boy is only 4 now, but if we stay, we must think about secondary sooner than I would like.)
Someone said that some of the state schools were very good. But which ones?
What about the private schools? Are they mostly white, or evenly mixed, do some have a better or perhaps just different reputation than another? I would love to hear from people with children in school there or recent graduates.
Thanks
Olderman is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:28 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Somewhere I saw the name Leacock's Private School. Is there such a school? Is it a private school? I can't find it on the list of private Barbados schools, but I'm sure I saw it mentioned somewhere? Can anyone tell me about it?
Thanks,
http://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Olderman is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:03 pm
  #12  
 
Sunniebgi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 1,298
Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

It's listed in the phone book..
Leacocks Private School
Farm Road, St. Peter
phone 246 - 422-4791

never heard of it.. it's not listed in the schools section..

good luck and let me know what you find out.
Sunniebgi is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:05 pm
  #13  
 
Sunniebgi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 1,298
Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

oh let me just say this....

There are many teachers who teach in public schools and then give extra tuition (to the same children by the way) after school. charge depends on the session and the subject and how many people in class.. so this person may just be listed as a tutor..
Sunniebgi is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:11 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

HI:
Well I just found some information, posted earlier, about Leacocks. These are just quotes from other peoples posts. Rather mixed.
"Leacocks: it is 10 mins in the car from St Lucy. They take children into reception from age 3. Leacocks is only around $500 BBDOS a term!"
"Only that Mrs Leacock is an old Bat!
Old Saints primary is quite good, so is Alexandra school, both in St Peter.
Never liked the building of Leacock's and heard teachers are quite cruel."

Any other info on the schools would be welcome.
Thanks,
Dale
Olderman is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2007, 5:01 pm
  #15  
 
Sunniebgi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 1,298
Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Originally Posted by Olderman View Post
Thanks for the info. Some questions: You say that "St. Cyprians School (very strict very bajan)". What exactly do you mean by that?


Does anyone out there have any experience with specific schools that they could say were good or bad? (Either primary or secondary)
(my boy is only 4 now, but if we stay, we must think about secondary sooner than I would like.)
Someone said that some of the state schools were very good. But which ones?
What about the private schools? Are they mostly white, or evenly mixed, do some have a better or perhaps just different reputation than another? I would love to hear from people with children in school there or recent graduates.
Thanks
Very Strict Very Bajan basically means that they are just very strict and very few expats (what or black) have their children there (from what I gather). Not very mixed in the white black way either as private schools go.

All of my children have either been to or are in now St. Gabriel's. For a boy of 4years I think St. Gabriel's, St. Winifred, or St. Angelas is fine. Each has their own way of teaching (except of course they follow the Govt School Curriculum). All students have to take the 11plus exam (except those at Codrington that are going to continue on at the school for secondary school).

Each of these is more mixed on the white black issue than any of the government primary schools. If you are an expat planning to move here, you may also have to apply to the government to have your child go into a government primary school (a friend of mine had to do that a number of years ago. She was from Canada and chose to send her children to public school rather than private). Most if not all govt primary schools are pretty good.. again, they each have their way of doing things.

The difference becomes going to secondary school. and I could write a book about the goods and bads of this process. You don't get to chose which school your child gets into.. they go based on their results of the 11plus, and how many other parents put down the same school for their child. Very confusing. and at present there is no private boys secondary except Dottins academy and codrington.

My sister in law who has been teaching montessori preschools for 20years has never heard of Leacocks.. but another friend has heard this teacher and has said that if it's the same one she knows about, this person must be really old...

good luck.
Sunniebgi is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.