Just Joined

BajeBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Hi, Some help needed please!!!
I am British but have Bajan citizenship.I lived in Barbados for 7 years
but returned to the Uk 3 years ago.
Am planning to go back at the end of this year and have two children
aged 3 and 7. When I was there I didnt find out much about schools as
I was more interested in Harbour Lights before my kids were born.
I have had a look round Wills primary, which I really liked,but it is waiting list
only, same with St.Ursuline,St.Gabe and St.Winifreds.
Does any one have any knowledge of Peoples cathedral or the Rock?
Or St.Cyprians?
Codrington looks good but the fees are too high for me!!!
My son can be a handful and has been a bit troublesome in the playground at
school, I wondered if anybody knows of schools are strict but not harsh, as he lacks confidence so he needs a little understanding !!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,, thank you.

Last edited by BajeBrit; Mar 3rd 2008 at 7:58 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:37 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that Peoples Cathedral is a good primary school. The Rock is very strict (not that others aren't but a story I heard several years ago, would cause me not to send my child there.). St. Cyprians is only for boys, so if you have a girl this wouldn't be a choice if you wanted both in the same school.

when is your 3 year old going to be 4?? This wil also make a difference where this one goes.

and even with a waiting list, still get on it, so at least you might have a chance.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

BajeBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I understand that Peoples Cathedral is a good primary school. The Rock is very strict (not that others aren't but a story I heard several years ago, would cause me not to send my child there.). St. Cyprians is only for boys, so if you have a girl this wouldn't be a choice if you wanted both in the same school.

when is your 3 year old going to be 4?? This wil also make a difference where this one goes.

and even with a waiting list, still get on it, so at least you might have a chance.
Thanks for that, you always hear about the main schools but its good
to get opinions on the other schools out there.I have a girl and a boy
so would prefer them to go to the same school
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:34 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

to bajebrit and others.. you may also keep in mind with schools and waiting lists.. what you will find is that the first year in any school is going to be harder to get into then say year 3 or 4 or higher.. mainly because you have bajans living here putting their childrens name on school waitlists from very early (we did our first child at 3 months old.. and even added each additional when they were no less than 6mths old, even though with a sibling in the school they were an automatic placement, we had to make sure they were "on the list").

and also, expats come and go, so you will also find that during the course of a year, a class, any class, may have the maximum number of children in it, but if an expat is already is already here for 2 or 3 years and their "time" is getting near to change, they will leave, regardless of the time of year. (US Embassy staff rotate in and out in June/July usually, every 2 or 3 years, but other go whenever).

And you also may find Local children leaving one school for another, or leaving the island completely..

So don't get caught up in a waitlist. get your childs name on it, because you just never know.
Old May 12th 2008, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Brit_Lat_Expat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Sunniebgi and everyone. We are considering relocating to Barbados, and are looking for a private co-educational school for our children aged 12 and 14. They are currently attending an International Baccalaureate school, so we would prefer a school with a similar IB programme. Codrington seems like a good option, but their tuition fees are much too high for us. Are there any other IB schools in Barbados? Alternatively, do you know of any liberal arts schools?
Old May 12th 2008, 10:08 am

Codrington is the only IB school on the island.

They can attend the government schools (with the proper channels for admittance), but will be following the syllabus towards the CXC program (Caribbean Examination Council) and then on the CAPE (Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination) which are like the O level and A Level exams in the UK. http://www.cxc.org/index.asp

if one of the children is a girl, you have St. Urulas and St. Winifred's as options, which are both private schools that have co-ed primary to age 11 and then girls only secondary through 5th Form, when they take the CXC's. But both only take in a small number of children every year, so placement is tough.

There is also, as a possible option, a religious Secondary school, which is owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I do know of children who are NOT part of that church who have been granted admiittance to that school for secondary school.

Good Luck
Old May 13th 2008, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Brit_Lat_Expat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your prompt reply. Our son is 14 and our daughter is 12. Is Codrington the only private co-ed secondary school in Barbados, other than the Adventist school you mentioned?
Old May 13th 2008, 9:47 am

sorry bout that.. I should have said that in the first post.. Yes.. Codrington is the only co-ed private secondary.

There is a place called Learning for Life, which is a learning center, mostly used as an "extra lessons" type location, one on one or very very small class size teaching. They are, however, doing more regular class room type teaching. http://www.smartstudying.com/ I've not looked at their website before.. but again, they teach to the secondary CXC/CAPE testing, so not sure this is they way you want to go either. This might be another option depending on how long you plan to be in Barbados
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lindi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, are there any parents out there who's children attend either Codrington or St Winifred's school who can give me their opinion of these two schools? We have visited both schools and found them completely different, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me of their experiences.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:46 pm
pcc
Just Joined

pcc is an unknown quantity at this point

Codrington opens another secondary form every year, and is now catering for children age 3 - 15. Their fees, compared to other international schools around the world are phenomenal. The teachers are first class, recruited globally, must hold masters degrees. Their enrichment program is extensive including surfing, diving, chess, music and much more. The parent/teacher relationship is very strong. Codrington offers a no-beating policy which, i understand, many Bajan schools still apply! The program is intelligently designed and constantly reviewed, and assessment is creative, thorough and engaging. The environment and social collaborations among the students has to be seen to be believed. The children are confident in their own abilities, willing to learn, caring about the peers and the world around them, and very contented.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Sounds fabulous. I must admit when we visited Codrington we were very impressed. And what a location!!

Anyone out there with experience of St Winifred's?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:26 am

You should know that from September, St. Winifred's is admitting boys into their secondary program. This is not in addition to the number of girls they accept, but will be mixed into the number of girls they already accept for secondary. I don't know if that is what you are looking for.

When I toured the school a year or so ago, I found it old and a bit cramped.. but this is not unlike many of the government schools on the island.

I've not been to Codrington so I cannot comment on it's program or it's grounds. It is way out of the my price range (and since I don't have a foriegn company or government footing the bill) and with the education being tops in Barbados it wouldn't make since for me to take my children out of a system that has worked for many many years.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Sunniebgi, I had heard something.

I'm glad to hear that the state schools are still good, but how would a future expat in the UK get their child into a state school in Barbados? Would the child be able to sit the 11+ in the UK or would she have to travel to Barbados to sit it? From what I can gather, it all depends on how well the child does in the 11+ as to what school it goes to?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:30 am

Lindi2.. sorry if you posted it but I didn't read it .. how old is your child? If they have already passed the 11plus and would be in Secondary School, you should just be able to contact the Ministry of Education and apply for secondary. an 11yr old who would be starting Secondary this September 08might have more problems getting into a government school than say a child who is 12 or 13 going into Form 2 or 3 or highter.

I would recommend contacting the Ministry of Education by phone, not e-mail, and see what you can find out from them. To my knowledge there is nothing that says an expat child can't go to a government Primary or Secondary school, I know several who are currently enrolled in both.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:47 am
Just Joined

bajanblondie is an unknown quantity at this point

As recent Graduate of St.Winifred's School I can say nothing but good things about it. I had an amazing experience there.

The level of teaching there is great, the teachers genuinely care and are very willing to go out of their way to help you in any way to make sure that you suceed. And I know that St. Winifred's has an excellent track record in terms of CXC results.... St.Winifred's also does reasonably well in 11+ exams each year, and I know the teachers definitely push the students to make sure they suceed.

After leaving St.Winifred's I also had the oppurtunity to attend a top local government school for 6th form, and I can tell you I appreciate St. Winifred's so much more. As much as I complained about some of the things I disliked at St. Winifred's at the time I now realise how lucky I was to have such amazing teachers and so many great oppurtunities at St. Winifred's. The teachers I had at St. Winifred's were by the far the best teachers have ever encountered, they were patient, caring and always went out their way to make sure each student suceeded.

I went right through the school from beginners (at 4 years old) to fifth form, and left the school with excellent results in CXC's as did the majority of my friends. I never encountered any major problems in those 12 years. And I honestly do not believe I would have done nearly as well in my CXC's had I not been at St. Winifred's.

Yes they may seem to be strict, but nothing unreasonable. The high morals that was instilled in me at St. Winifred's has done me very well I believe.

I also have many friends who attended St. Gabriel's Primary School, and Codrington High School and had pleasant experiences.

I would completely recommend St. Winifred's to anyone.
Hope this helps. If you have any further questions dont hesitate to reply back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.