Schools in Barbados

Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

I take it Providence has had some problems. Can anyone be specific about that?
Dale
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

it would be good to get feed back on Providence...especially has someone did post they were not happy about the place. Anyone have or heard anything about this school that we should be aware of?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Shell007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello from a newbie on the site!!

This was just the forum thread I was looking for as its possible (probable) that myself, my partner and my son will be moving to Barbados for 6 months next year, as a per curser to moving their permanently. My partner is Bajun.

My son is 11 next week and starts secondary school September 2008. We will be living on the West Coast around the St James area and I think we will be going the earlier part of the year rather than the latter.

Can anyone give me a guide to schools in that area? Private is no problem and I would prefer mixed than all boys.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Shell & others:
Over the last couple of months I have assembled a lot of information on schools in Barbados as I am in a similar situation. I may be coming to Barbados with my son, age 4. What I have is from the net, this forum and some government sites. I was going to just post it here but now looking at it I see it is 13 pages long. It lists all the private schools (addresses, phones, etc), peoples comments on them from this forum, some opinions about certain government schools plus some information about schools in general in Barbados.

I will post it if the administrator doesn't mind, but it seems a bit much so if you write me at wagxl at aol dot net (I have written it this way to prevent the spam bots from getting my address) I will be happy to send it to you.

I would love to hear more comments and experiences from people who have children in school in Barbados or who were or are at school there.
Dale
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Shell007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dale,

I have just tried to e-mail you but it bounced back! Could you pm me the info?

Michelle
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, my mistake, it is "com" not "net"
I have sent the file to you from another address.
Olderman
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:02 am
Just Joined

BGIbound is an unknown quantity at this point

Olderman, I'd be interested in the list you've compiled, please mail it to me, thanks.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:39 am
Just Joined

BGIbound is an unknown quantity at this point

I can add colour on Providence and St. Gabriels.

Our child was in St. Gabriels. We found the school a run down, poorly managed shell of its former self - basically it's living off the memory and glory of its history when it may have been the best, and possibly one of the only private schools in Barbados. There is no active alumni association and despite all the verbal support from Bajans who have attended the school over the last 50 years there is virtually no fund raising to support it. We also found locals unwilling or unable to volunteer to assist in any events to contribute to the school's welfare or extra-curricular functions, which was mostly supported by expats who comprise the minority of the school. The bulk of the school's revenues comes from the St. Gabriel's fair held around November when it receives between 150-200k from the sale of donated items and the running of games at the fair. The rest of its revenues are based on school fees which are lower for Bajans than for expats, and low for a private school anywhere. They had a turn over in principal in 2007 with the temporary principal retiring. Many expats abandoned the school between 2006 and 2007, and I understand only 9 expat families still have their kids there at this point (including some of our friends), a couple of whom joined this year on the "newbie tryput" basis. We found the teachers, like the receptionist, lacking in any real desire or ability to meet the educational needs and standards we expected from a top billed school. The class size was about 30 kids to one teacher. The school does not own the property it is located on but leases it from the church. It completed a new all-purpose hall/gym in 2006 which it will be paying for for several years to come - basically finances are a run on a shoestring budget and will be for the foreseeable future as no one cares or is able to restructure the school to a more sound financial footing. More than a lick of paint the school is in dire need of effective top down leadership and management.

Providence
The history of Provdence and Codrington are meshed as the founders of Codrington split over disagreement over the running of the school and one of them started Providence in 2005 for his own children. We have our kids at Providence now and they love the school. Any early issues with teachers leaving appears to have been stablized since a competent professional educator from Canada was been brought in as principal and is running the school very effectively, with other professional educators largely holding Masters level degrees in the classes. Enrollment has increased substantially in 2007, and most of the classes are now maxed out at 16 kids to one teacher - half that of St. Gabs. Providence is more expensive than St. Gab's but the grounds and infrastructure are simply wonderful, every kid is provided a computer during computer class (at St. Gab's it was 3 kids or more to each computer in computer class), the school is building recreation facilities in the form of tennis courts and a swimming pool, and our kids are doing well in class and socially. None of the facilities burden the school with debt, the school is managed by a trust which is well funded beyond fees by private donors, and most parents volunteer for activities. Location wise it is located well outside the city and an easy commute for most, which was a big factor for us in the Codrington vs Providence decision. We believe Providence will also offer secondary school education as the current classes move beyond the 11+. Providence has a mix of Bajans and expats but is heavily weighted on the expat front.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

MissyMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olderman
Hello Shell & others:
Over the last couple of months I have assembled a lot of information on schools in Barbados as I am in a similar situation. I may be coming to Barbados with my son, age 4. What I have is from the net, this forum and some government sites. I was going to just post it here but now looking at it I see it is 13 pages long. It lists all the private schools (addresses, phones, etc), peoples comments on them from this forum, some opinions about certain government schools plus some information about schools in general in Barbados.

I will post it if the administrator doesn't mind, but it seems a bit much so if you write me at wagxl at aol dot net (I have written it this way to prevent the spam bots from getting my address) I will be happy to send it to you.

I would love to hear more comments and experiences from people who have children in school in Barbados or who were or are at school there.
Dale
Hi Dale,

I would be very interested in this info also, could you forward it to me please. Many thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

pensacola is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so interested in info on the schools. Please send it to me as well. I am moving to Barbados as a teacher from the US. I could really use some insight on schools.I will be living In christ church and I have been studying Codrington. What about teacher pay? Any insight?Is it better for public teachers? Sorry about the typos. I'm typing on my blackberry handheld.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

REALIST is an unknown quantity at this point

Having read various e mails contained within this thread my first reaction is that participants should be cautious regarding any response which shows a strong bias in criticizing a particular school which caters for the non-Barbadian student e.g. BGIbound Dec 25, 2007 (which I found to indicate that the writer had some personal axe to grind). As a British citizen living in Barbados for many years and now having a young child in the educational system I can assure you that each school has its own core of strong supporters and its own strengths to offer. Your decision on schools should be an objective one based on your perception of your childs needs at their particular age. St Gabriels, St Winifreds, St Angelas, Wills, Codrington and Providence all have their individual pros and cons and as a result of the extensive Barbadian family into which I married I have come to hear views on most. The following comments are geared more towards the primary years educational facilities in Barbados.

Firstly, two very important points_

The fate and structure of most Barbadian private schools, students and teachers is very much affected by the Common Entrance Exam (11 plus - which still exists) and the related pressure to achieve good results.

The spouses of expatriot working personnel often form the core group at private schools when it comes to PTA/Fund raising etc as it is this group which often does not have a work commitment - unlike the average Barbadian family where both spouses are working. However, I am personally aware of Barbadian who give equally as much of their time and efforts.

St Gabriels, St Winifreds and St Angelas are primarily in existence to provide education to native Barbadians but also accept and actively encourage recruitment of non Barbadian students to the extent that places are available. These schools have fee levels which are ridiculously low when compared to UK private schools but that is because they are not "expat" schools but need to provide affordable private education to Barbadian families. Each and every one of them should be lauded for their efforts. Also each of these three schools are, to a certain extent, limited by their need to ensure that their students are properly prepared for the Common Entrance exam in Barbados which is a very important milestone for Barbadian students in determining their path into secondary school. Remember that most ex patriot families may only be in Barbados for a few years and hence their need to be "slotted" into the system. It is notable that in private schools in Barbados where the expatriot student ratio is high the school suffers from a regularly changing student body at all levels as families come and go. This environment is not always ideal for a long stay student such as my child.

In summary I believe that St Winifreds offers a well disciplined, well managed but academically biased system which suits the child who performs well in a structured environment. For girls it also offers a secondary education programme. However, if your child has problems in the typical class structure of 25-30 students he/she may have difficulty fitting in. The school is strongly biased towards white families although this is not necessarily the fault of the school but more a legacy and historic reputation which it finds difficult to overcome.

St. Gabriels on the other hand is a far more culturally diverse environment with a less "academic" slightly more holistic approach to education, particularly in the earlier years. The school has done much over the past few years to enhance its environment with the new hall, landscaping of play areas and construction of play grounds. The new head teacher has returned to Barbados after several years of training in the UK and represents a normal turnover of principal due to the retirement of the previous principal.

Both of the above schools also have long stading extra curricula programs for sports, music etc and well established relationships with bodies such as the girl guides and cub scouts.

I know little about St. Angelas except that it is part of the Convent school with its own girls secondary school attached however I do not believe that St Angelas has attracted the same number of ex patriot students as St. Winifreds or St. Gabriels.

With Wills I also have little knowledge. I have met Mrs Wills who is very dedicated to her school as are most educators I have met in the private school system. It is unfortunate that their location (unless changed recently) is not the most appealing and, again, for short term stay families, the location and infrastructure may have the same importance level as the actual quality of teaching.

Codrington and Providence have a different structure and appeal.

Codrington is based in the country and is an old historic school which is now in a constant mode of renovation. Its International Baccalaureate approach to teaching and its recruitment of a principal (Mr. McKinnon) who not only has an extensive history in the IBO system but also has worked in other international environments (Refer St Andrews - Bahamas) are valid reasons why it attracts attention from expatriot families. In general the fees are beyond the reach of the average Barbadian family and I would question its ability in the long term to become a fully fledged IBO facility, particularly at the secondary school level. However, Codrington will continue to appeal to expatriate families who are here for limited stays and who may need to bridge the primary/secondary school environment. It also appeals to those Barbadian families who may not want their child to move into the Government secondary school system at age 11 and need a facility to place them prior to moving overseas at age 14/15. The school has the necessary buildings and grounds but not necessarily in the highest state of repair but it does have something unique to offer and should be visited before making a final decision.

Unlike all of the other schools mentioned Providence is unique in that it is extremely well funded by the Melnyk family who have 2 daughters at the school (probably consistently operating at a loss without such funding) and is in very attractive grounds. The school is relatively new and with apparent access to unlimited cash has been able to quickly develop its infastucture. However, this has come at some cost with an initial high turnover of staff (approx 100% in the first 18 months-8 staff members and 1 member of Board of management) and several parents leaving and moving to other private schools mentioned above. Irrespective of what the literature says the school is effectively run by Mr & Mrs Melnyk both as trustees and with substantial control over the school management. Mr. Melnyk is well known for his charitable works although in recent times has come under criticism relative to his business dealing in Canada and the US and has been under investigation by various regulatory bodies but it is hoped that this will not affect his family's commitment to Barbados and to the school. The Principal was recruited from the Canadian government school system and has no previous international school experience such as exists at Codrington. Initial staff and parent turnover predominantly cited issues with the Principal as their reason for leaving but hopefully the Principal has managed to forge a better relationship with these two groups. Providence is attempting to implement the Principal's integrated approach to learning but I would be concerned if at this early stage it has been able to properly structure such a programme whilst attempting to prepare students for the ever present 11 plus exam. As with all schools mentioned here, parents should look past the environment and focus on their child's educational issues before making a final choice.

In closing parents need to fully understand their childs strengths and weaknesses, factor in their length of stay in Barbados and try to choose the school best suited for their family recognising what Barbados, as a small island, has been able to offer us as families.

As for my child, history has shown that St Gabriels provides our family with the environment, the education and the cultural mix which I feel as a parent will assist in becoming a more rounded and tolerant person in the next generation. We have family members and friends who are equally as happy with their choice of other schools.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Bajanswife is an unknown quantity at this point

Realist, your assessment of the schools is bang on! At least, according to all I've heard - I have only experienced one of the schools persoanlly.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road

Codrington is based in the country and is an old historic school which is now in a constant mode of renovation. Its International Baccalaureate approach to teaching and its recruitment of a principal (Mr. McKinnon) who not only has an extensive history in the IBO system but also has worked in other international environments (Refer St Andrews - Bahamas) are valid reasons why it attracts attention from expatriot families. In general the fees are beyond the reach of the average Barbadian family and I would question its ability in the long term to become a fully fledged IBO facility, particularly at the secondary school level. However, Codrington will continue to appeal to expatriate families who are here for limited stays and who may need to bridge the primary/secondary school environment. It also appeals to those Barbadian families who may not want their child to move into the Government secondary school system at age 11 and need a facility to place them prior to moving overseas at age 14/15. The school has the necessary buildings and grounds but not necessarily in the highest state of repair but it does have something unique to offer and should be visited before making a final decision.

I have to question your comments re Codrington having the ability to become a fully fledged IBO facility in the future. As far as I understand it, there is no basis for such a comment and in fact the school is proceeding smoothly towards just this goal.
Yes, the some of the buildings need renovations and these are in progress. It will take time but finding the right school is about much more than beautiful buildings. Dennis Mackinnon is one of the finest educators I have ever met. And indeed extremely well qualified with exoerience that would overshadow most head of schools.
His committment and genuine love and understanding of children is outstanding. What parents need to consider when comparing Codrington to other schools is the type/style of education they want. The IB system is very different to the local Barbados 11+ and won't apeal to everyone. Research the differences then decide. The school has around 15 different nationalities amongst students but a third are local (Bajan) so it not purely an ex pat school school.
Most local parents I know have chosen the school for the same reason as many expat parents - for the IB programme rather than 11+.
Even if Codrington isn't your choice, don't knock it. Its a very good school with many committed professionals, lots of satisfied parents and - importantly - happy children.
Give us a chance - don't knock us for being different or striving for the IB status I believe we will get.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:51 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BGIbound
I can add colour on Providence and St. Gabriels.

Our child was in St. Gabriels. We found the school a run down, poorly managed shell of its former self - basically it's living off the memory and glory of its history when it may have been the best, and possibly one of the only private schools in Barbados. There is no active alumni association and despite all the verbal support from Bajans who have attended the school over the last 50 years there is virtually no fund raising to support it. We also found locals unwilling or unable to volunteer to assist in any events to contribute to the school's welfare or extra-curricular functions, which was mostly supported by expats who comprise the minority of the school. The bulk of the school's revenues comes from the St. Gabriel's fair held around November when it receives between 150-200k from the sale of donated items and the running of games at the fair. The rest of its revenues are based on school fees which are lower for Bajans than for expats, and low for a private school anywhere. They had a turn over in principal in 2007 with the temporary principal retiring. Many expats abandoned the school between 2006 and 2007, and I understand only 9 expat families still have their kids there at this point (including some of our friends), a couple of whom joined this year on the "newbie tryput" basis. We found the teachers, like the receptionist, lacking in any real desire or ability to meet the educational needs and standards we expected from a top billed school. The class size was about 30 kids to one teacher. The school does not own the property it is located on but leases it from the church. It completed a new all-purpose hall/gym in 2006 which it will be paying for for several years to come - basically finances are a run on a shoestring budget and will be for the foreseeable future as no one cares or is able to restructure the school to a more sound financial footing. More than a lick of paint the school is in dire need of effective top down leadership and management.

Providence
The history of Provdence and Codrington are meshed as the founders of Codrington split over disagreement over the running of the school and one of them started Providence in 2005 for his own children. We have our kids at Providence now and they love the school. Any early issues with teachers leaving appears to have been stablized since a competent professional educator from Canada was been brought in as principal and is running the school very effectively, with other professional educators largely holding Masters level degrees in the classes. Enrollment has increased substantially in 2007, and most of the classes are now maxed out at 16 kids to one teacher - half that of St. Gabs. Providence is more expensive than St. Gab's but the grounds and infrastructure are simply wonderful, every kid is provided a computer during computer class (at St. Gab's it was 3 kids or more to each computer in computer class), the school is building recreation facilities in the form of tennis courts and a swimming pool, and our kids are doing well in class and socially. None of the facilities burden the school with debt, the school is managed by a trust which is well funded beyond fees by private donors, and most parents volunteer for activities. Location wise it is located well outside the city and an easy commute for most, which was a big factor for us in the Codrington vs Providence decision. We believe Providence will also offer secondary school education as the current classes move beyond the 11+. Providence has a mix of Bajans and expats but is heavily weighted on the expat front.
Let me start by saying I cannot comment on Providence except to say that The Melnyks had looked at St. Gabriel's until Codrington reopend, and then when that didn't work out, he choose to use his money and influence to start a private school for his own children. I'm not saying he shouldn't have done that, but other locals who have tried to do a similar thing have been shot down by the Government as being too elitest and therefore not granted a permit to operate a school (please note this was a request for a secondary not a primary school as is Providence). Read into that what you will, i'm only stating what I have been told. and I'm so glad they are building Tennis courts and swimming pools. I guess Mr. Melnyk can afford it.

With regards to your comments on St. Gabriel's, I seriously beg to differ on many points, as would many people on this island.

1. There is an active alumni group, who raises money for various charities including St. Gabriel's school. Most of the women involved are former students who attended the school when it had a secondary school for girls. In most cases Alumni associations do not exsist anywhere except at the secondary (or in the case of the US, High School) level and beyond. So I'm not sure why your statement of not having an Alumni Association should hold any relavence to someones decision to send their child to school there.

2. St. Gabriel's has a very active Parent Teacher Association, who's main function is that of Fundraising. While it can be said that many of those who assist in that fundraising are expat wives who cannot work due to government regulations, your statement about local Barbadians being unable or unwilling to help is completely off base. There are many Barbadians who do reading at school with the children, who assist with the swim programme, and who make sure that there children get to and from sporting events, field trips etc as they are needed. and, when asked, come along to assist with the various fundraising events we do during the course of the year.

Why does it matter that we don't own the ground our school is on. We lease the area from the Anglican Church from which the school was formed over 60 years ago. Many business and schools don't own the land they are on.

Our major PTA Fundraiser is the school fair, this is not part of the revenue for the school, but it does go to provide much needed facilities and other items for our childrens use while at school. And there are many parents who year after year contribute many things to the fair. Time, money, products, you name it they do it.

The parent body, through PTA Fundraisers has paid over the years for items such as - New class room buildings when the school moved from it's previous spot on Collymore Rock, the new Ann Johnson Auditorium, The new infant learning support classroom, as well as giving funds to the teachers for needed classroom supplies as well as library books. And most recently a brand new playground for both the junior and infant children. and who do you think put together that playground equipment when it arrived on island. Paid help??? absolutely not. but a dedicated group of parents and friends willing to come out and support their PTA and their school.

much of your statement was address quite correctly by Realist when it comes to the school and it's tuition. This is a Barbadian School for Barbadian Children and therefore the fees are kept at a level that no child should have to be turned away due to lack of financial ability. Expats do pay a higher rate and are welcomed into the school, but it still is a Barbadian School. This having been said, it also adheres to the standards and practices put into place by the Barbados Ministry of Education, which is very high on a world class level. and the teachers do teach our children and have for many years. We have a very dedicated group of teachers at St. Gabriel's who care about the education and well being of our children. Our new headmistress is herself a former teacher at the school, who left to further attain a higher education degree and has come back to take the helm of the school upon the retirement of another of our dedicated teaching staff.

My question to BGIbound.. did you participate in anything dealing with the school?? Did you take the time to become involved?? or did you simply sit back, decide it wasn't your problem and move on when you finished your "newbie tryout".
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

REALIST is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brionyj

I have to question your comments re Codrington having the ability to become a fully fledged IBO facility in the future. As far as I understand it, there is no basis for such a comment and in fact the school is proceeding smoothly towards just this goal.
Yes, the some of the buildings need renovations and these are in progress. It will take time but finding the right school is about much more than beautiful buildings. Dennis Mackinnon is one of the finest educators I have ever met. And indeed extremely well qualified with exoerience that would overshadow most head of schools.
His committment and genuine love and understanding of children is outstanding. What parents need to consider when comparing Codrington to other schools is the type/style of education they want. The IB system is very different to the local Barbados 11+ and won't apeal to everyone. Research the differences then decide. The school has around 15 different nationalities amongst students but a third are local (Bajan) so it not purely an ex pat school school.
Most local parents I know have chosen the school for the same reason as many expat parents - for the IB programme rather than 11+.
Even if Codrington isn't your choice, don't knock it. Its a very good school with many committed professionals, lots of satisfied parents and - importantly - happy children.
Give us a chance - don't knock us for being different or striving for the IB status I believe we will get.
Dear Brionyj (and other parents redaing this thread)

I note that your address is "Suffolk soon to be Barbados" which would indicate that you have possibly have yet to experience living full time on the island. I also note that you appear to be passionate about your choice of school and I commend you for that because hopefully it means that you will become actively involved in Codrington's development which can be so important for the school. I am sorry that you saw my comments as "knocking".

Most private schools typically require full classrooms to be able to meet their funding requirements. When Codrington first opened (and well into its third year) parents were told that classroom size would not increase above 12 students and that the Barbadian student fees would remain at US$2,000 - $2,500 per term and this actually became a contentious issue at the management level and was probably the catalyst for events (which included the contentious firing of the existing Principal) which led to families pulling approximately 30 students (almost half of the school population at the time) from the school eventually leading to the creation of Providence (but that is another story). It seems to those of us outside of the school that Mr. McKinnon bought a level of reality to the school finances as classrooms now have more than 12 students and fees are higher.

I do believe that Mr McKinnon's strongest challenge will be the retention of post 11 year old students. Firstly, expatriate families will come and go during those years and filling a void created in this way is not always easy for any school. Secondly, Barbadian parents who can afford Codrington fees can most like afford, and will actively consider, sending their child overseas for later year secondary education eg at age 14-16 (hence the use of Codrington for the 11 - 14 age bracket) which again leaves gaps in the classroom which can be hard to fill at that stage. I personally know of two Barbadian families who are attending Codrington with a view to moving overseas once they feel their child is able to do so. The decision to move overseas is not necessarily a reflection on Codrington but more a reflection on the broader education (academic, social and cultural) that an island born child may obtain by spending time in another country. I am not saying that Codrington will fail but just like other private secondary schools it will have its challenges financially compounded by the two factors noted above. The same comments could apply to Providence in the event that they open a secondary level school. By the way, it should be noted that Providence has not chosen the IBO route due to concerns by management over costing, ability to meet accreditation standards and availability of affordable IBO teaching staff.

Having said all of the above, my research on Mr McKinnon during his Bahamas days at St Andrews provided me with a very positive impression of him as an IBO educator and International School Principal so for me his continuity at the school would be important and for now he appears to be the right person for the job.

I hope that you and your family derive as much pleasure from your time in Barbados as I have over the years and that Codrington proves to be the right choice for your children and their educational needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.