Schools in Barbados

Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Peazle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

I meant to add in my reply to Dale's question that Codrington does follow an Inquiry based approach to learning at both Primary and Secondary level. They follow the Primary Years Program (PYP) of the International Baccalaureate (www.ibo.org) and are adopting the Middle Years Program at secondary. The IBO promotes the Inquiry method as its main teaching method. It seems a much more interesting way to learn than listening to a teacher drone on
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Elizabeth.Marley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MOLLY01
Hi Elizabeth

I was thinking that we would be there from September to March/April each year and then do the summer term in England. Which months were you thinking of? I am sure that there will be a school on the island that would do that. Do you have children? Are you from Barbados or have you been there for any length of time before? I am sure quite a few people must do similar things? Be great to hear when you are thinking of going and what you would plan to do whilst there?
Hi Molly,

Nice to hear from you,
I was thinking of March/April to the end of august so that my 10-year-old son could start back at school in the September term (back here in the UK). Although he will start secondly school in September 2008. This in itself will be a big deal for him; in fact I think I’m more worried about it! As I work in a secondly school, I’m currently studying to become a teacher.

I’ve been to the Island twice a year for the past few years now and just love it there. I normally stay for about a month each time. I’m not from Barbados, born and bread in Nottinghamshire, although I lived in Bangladesh, and the Middle East for three years, which was interesting. I will be back in Barbados in 11 weeks, just in time for Christmas. This time will be very special, as my parents are coming to look around with the view to maybe buy a property and settle over there. This will be the first holiday internationally we have had as a family since we flew the nest!
I always travel with my sister and once a year my brother tags long too. We all love Barbados so much it would be amazing if our parents felt the same way and wanted to move with us. Then I’d have my whole family with me, which would be perfect.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

MOLLY01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elizabeth.Marley
Hi Molly,

Nice to hear from you,
I was thinking of March/April to the end of august so that my 10-year-old son could start back at school in the September term (back here in the UK). Although he will start secondly school in September 2008. This in itself will be a big deal for him; in fact I think I’m more worried about it! As I work in a secondly school, I’m currently studying to become a teacher.

I’ve been to the Island twice a year for the past few years now and just love it there. I normally stay for about a month each time. I’m not from Barbados, born and bread in Nottinghamshire, although I lived in Bangladesh, and the Middle East for three years, which was interesting. I will be back in Barbados in 11 weeks, just in time for Christmas. This time will be very special, as my parents are coming to look around with the view to maybe buy a property and settle over there. This will be the first holiday internationally we have had as a family since we flew the nest!
I always travel with my sister and once a year my brother tags long too. We all love Barbados so much it would be amazing if our parents felt the same way and wanted to move with us. Then I’d have my whole family with me, which would be perfect.
Hi Elizabeth

Great to hear from you. Fantastic that you are thinking off settling there. My son is also 10yrs old . Which school were you thinking of over there? I was thinking maybe st winnifreds as it is only 1/2 hr from were we wld be? If we are there at the same time we must meet up. Especially as we have sons the same age! Were are you thinking of living on the island? Are you thinking west coast? I am going to make some enquiries and I will let you know what I find out. Could you let me know if you find anything out? Hopefully we will be there spring next year sorting a house of some description!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Molly,

I have sent you a PM let me know if you have received it?

Thanks a lot

Elizabeth
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

MOLLY01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elizabeth.Marley
Hi Molly,

I have sent you a PM let me know if you have received it?

Thanks a lot

Elizabeth
Hi elizabeth

This got blocked could you send it again as I have now allowed popups from this site!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MOLLY01
Hi elizabeth

This got blocked could you send it again as I have now allowed popups from this site!
Hi Molly,

I have just sent it again.

Elizabeth
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:24 am
Just Joined

varez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Barbados

Hi there , I live in Barbados with 3 children of ages :
4,10 and 13.
Through the years I have experienced the following schools:

Casa dei bambini , Montessori ages 2 1/2 to 4 1/2
St . Winifreds (Primary and Seconday)
Providence Elementary school
The Codrington School (Primary and Secondary)
Queen's College (Secondary)

The only two schools I am really happy with are Casa Dei Bambini (Head:Angelique Bjerkhamn 1 246 422 0607 )where our little one was extremely happy and still speaks of his old school with a smile .
The other is The Codrington School( Mr Dennisn Mac Kinnan 4230827) where again 2 of our children are very happy and are doing extremely well.
The principals of these two schools are great people and have their children's success and happiness at heart .
I do not feel that any other of the above schools in Barbados have anything in common with these two schools .
Most of the schools in Barbados could do with a coat of paint , do not judge the schools by their appearance .
I agree that St.Winifred's , St Gabriel's and the Convent are definitely very strict and very Bajan ....international kids might not like the atmosphere ....unless they come from an extremely strict school .
Providence is a picture perfect school ......however all that glitters is not gold ....it is still very new and has already had many problems with teachers leaving and children going off to other schools ....not a good start....have also had to pull out one child...not pleasant.

hope all of this helps
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hi there. Where is Casa located? I am looking for a program for my 2.5yo now.

Thanks!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:31 am
Just Joined

varez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there , Casa Dei Bambini is located close to Speightstown.
On the West coast.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Aaah, we are in the Sheraton area, any suggestions over here for Montessori?

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Hiya,

ask Rumswizz, her little one is at Montessori near you but I think they may only go to 3yrs old...

Bella is at Casa in Speightstown and loves it, could you not arrange a drop off as your hubby works over that way or do the hours not fit. You guys should just move across that way more

Sx
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I know, but our place over here is really open and breezy, nice yard etc. The traffic is killing me! I don;t know how my husband tolerates it--now when he works at 9:00 it is insane, if the house has guests and he is there for 6am it is fine.

I will check with RS she did mention about a school in Regency Park I believe which is right down the road. For now the little bugger is taking spanish classes on Saturdays but that's it.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

raerai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peazle
I meant to add in my reply to Dale's question that Codrington does follow an Inquiry based approach to learning at both Primary and Secondary level. They follow the Primary Years Program (PYP) of the International Baccalaureate (www.ibo.org) and are adopting the Middle Years Program at secondary. The IBO promotes the Inquiry method as its main teaching method. It seems a much more interesting way to learn than listening to a teacher drone on
Does anyone have up to date news on places at secondary schools for our 13 year old girl, we hope to arrive in BIM at Easter subject to arranging a school.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it at least some people like Casa da Bambini. Any other opinions on primary and pre-schools?

It seems to me that with the trafic as bad as it is reported to be, it is important to live near the school. (I work at home so the drive to work is not a problem for me)
Does anyone have a suggestions regarding good neighborhoods that are also near to a good school?
I don't think I would like being in Bridgetown, but somewhere there will be lots of other children to play with, good school very near, etc. Any ideas as to where I should start looking?
Dale
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Morning,

I think it is probably best that first you find a school you are happy with and then investigate the local areas to see where you would prefer to live...

Codrington is on the east coast and away from the worst of the traffic and Providence is more in themiddle of the Island.

The other main schools are nearer to Bridgetown.

HTH Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.