Decision made.

Reply

Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:17 pm
  #1  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,495
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decision made.

We're going back to Australia. Scouse has given it his best shot but he's just not happy here, the only place he wants to be is Oz. I've loved being here from day 1 but I was happy in Perth too, and will be again.

What's made the decision easier for me is that there's been no pressure from scouse, if I don't want to go back he'll stay and I know the man well enough to know that there'd never be any recriminations. The deciding factor for me is one happy person/one unhappy person in the UK, two happy people in Perth. No contest.

Now 'all' we need to do is work out the finances There's no doubt we'll take a hit in our income, but we'll be ok. We need to work through the best way to maximise our income in Oz, as we've sunk the majority of our funds into property here in the UK. As the designated admin person of the two of us , I'll learn as much as I can on my own and then get some professional advice.

Life's a big adventure, isn't it?
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:38 pm
  #2  
Queen of Diplomacy
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,145
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
We're going back to Australia. Scouse has given it his best shot but he's just not happy here, the only place he wants to be is Oz. I've loved being here from day 1 but I was happy in Perth too, and will be again.

What's made the decision easier for me is that there's been no pressure from scouse, if I don't want to go back he'll stay and I know the man well enough to know that there'd never be any recriminations. The deciding factor for me is one happy person/one unhappy person in the UK, two happy people in Perth. No contest.

Now 'all' we need to do is work out the finances There's no doubt we'll take a hit in our income, but we'll be ok. We need to work through the best way to maximise our income in Oz, as we've sunk the majority of our funds into property here in the UK. As the designated admin person of the two of us , I'll learn as much as I can on my own and then get some professional advice.

Life's a big adventure, isn't it?
Yes, it certainly is an adventure. It's a big decision but it probably feels like a weight has been lifted now it's made.

Best of luck with selling your house and for a buyer with loads of £.
Dorothy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:09 pm
  #3  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,495
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Yes, it certainly is an adventure. It's a big decision but it probably feels like a weight has been lifted now it's made.

Best of luck with selling your house and for a buyer with loads of £.
Thanks mate Yes, it's good to stop thinking and wondering, and start sorting things out.
I'll need to start making lists! Lots of lists!!
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:34 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
michali's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,200
michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

I feel sad to hear your news but once you are both happy, that is all that matters. I suppose one bright spot in this is that you won’t have to through the stress of applying for any more visas to stay here! And, yes, life is an adventure and every move we make or step we take is part of our life experience. Do keep us updated and DONT leave the forum!!
michali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:41 pm
  #5  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,495
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Originally Posted by michali View Post
I feel sad to hear your news but once you are both happy, that is all that matters. I suppose one bright spot in this is that you won’t have to through the stress of applying for any more visas to stay here! And, yes, life is an adventure and every move we make or step we take is part of our life experience. Do keep us updated and DONT leave the forum!!
Thanks for the lovely thoughts Michali. No way the forum will get rid of me, I enjoy it too much! I'll just be posting from a different place
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th 2018, 6:44 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 59
prospect is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Decision made.

I'm glad made you've made lots in your family happy! Walking thru those gates last week, we left a trail of upset immediate family behind, which was so hard to walk away from. Back home, I have quite a number of friends in a similar position with whom all we discuss is the concept of 'home' and where to make it; options sure make things more complicated these days. We made this decision for our kids but I also already wonder if we are setting them up for a life on not being sure quite where to make theirs. Can't worry about that -- but the thought does pop up every now and then. Relieved to hear you have a decision - and yes nothing better than a long list of tasks ahead to get sorted. All the best with things.
prospect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:53 pm
  #7  
CHextricating...
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Thônex, Switzerland
Posts: 1,214
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Bonza! Good on yer both!

Not an easy decision I'm sure, but as you say "The deciding factor for me is one happy person/one unhappy person in the UK, two happy people in Perth. No contest."

Perth is cool - despite what some others are saying in the "Capital of Cool" thread. I know Melbourne best, quite like that place. Sydney I'm not too fond of, and Cairns appears full of intoxicated Japanese

Massive adventure, wishing you all the best with it.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jan 19th 2018 at 3:55 pm.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th 2018, 6:02 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
michali's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,200
michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Originally Posted by prospect View Post
I'm glad made you've made lots in your family happy! Walking thru those gates last week, we left a trail of upset immediate family behind, which was so hard to walk away from. Back home, I have quite a number of friends in a similar position with whom all we discuss is the concept of 'home' and where to make it; options sure make things more complicated these days. We made this decision for our kids but I also already wonder if we are setting them up for a life on not being sure quite where to make theirs. Can't worry about that -- but the thought does pop up every now and then. Relieved to hear you have a decision - and yes nothing better than a long list of tasks ahead to get sorted. All the best with things.
I wouldn’t worry about the children, prospect. Kids are remarkably resilient and will make their own decisions when the time comes as to where they will live. Our two lived in three different countries and are now settled in the UK....but who knows if they would move at some point?! Hope not because that is why we came back! Seriously though, giving children the opportunity to live in different countries with different cultures can only enhance their life experience. Enjoy your time!
michali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:25 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 593
NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

I'm glad you have the peace of having made a decision but sorry you have to go through the process/cost of moving again. Life really is an adventure, it doesn't matter how much we think we've got things planned out we still get curve balls like this, who'd have guessed Scouse would want to move back! I hope you will look back on your time together in the UK with fond memories as you enjoy living in Perth again. What sort of time scale are thinking till the move?
NiHao is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:26 am
  #10  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,495
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Originally Posted by prospect View Post
I'm glad made you've made lots in your family happy! Walking thru those gates last week, we left a trail of upset immediate family behind, which was so hard to walk away from. Back home, I have quite a number of friends in a similar position with whom all we discuss is the concept of 'home' and where to make it; options sure make things more complicated these days. We made this decision for our kids but I also already wonder if we are setting them up for a life on not being sure quite where to make theirs. Can't worry about that -- but the thought does pop up every now and then. Relieved to hear you have a decision - and yes nothing better than a long list of tasks ahead to get sorted. All the best with things.
Oh boy, do I feel for you re the upset family! Everything about moving from Australia to the UK was happy except for that. Not that my family weren't happy for me, they were, but seeing them try to hold back the tears at 'the last goodbye' and failing miserably is just so sad

You're doing a wonderful thing for your kids. Whether or not they decide to return to Australia or live elsewhere when they've grown up, the experience of living in another country can only be beneficial.

Thanks very much for your lovely post - I'll be keeping an eye on how things are going for you. In a nice way, not a stalking way of course! Cheers.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:27 am
  #11  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,495
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Originally Posted by NiHao View Post
I'm glad you have the peace of having made a decision but sorry you have to go through the process/cost of moving again. Life really is an adventure, it doesn't matter how much we think we've got things planned out we still get curve balls like this, who'd have guessed Scouse would want to move back! I hope you will look back on your time together in the UK with fond memories as you enjoy living in Perth again. What sort of time scale are thinking till the move?
Thanks NiHao, you wise and wonderful woman. Yes, never entered my head that Scouse would want to return to Oz! I count ourselves as very fortunate to have the choice though. It's been great for me to live in the UK, and as for Scouse, I think it's given him a fresh perspective of Australia. At least, I hope it has because if he wants to move back to the UK in a couple of years he can bloody well go on his own!

Definitely by the end of this year, sooner if at all possible. So much to do and sort out.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 20th 2018 at 7:30 am.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:33 am
  #12  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,495
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Bonza! Good on yer both!

Not an easy decision I'm sure, but as you say "The deciding factor for me is one happy person/one unhappy person in the UK, two happy people in Perth. No contest."

Perth is cool - despite what some others are saying in the "Capital of Cool" thread. I know Melbourne best, quite like that place. Sydney I'm not too fond of, and Cairns appears full of intoxicated Japanese

Massive adventure, wishing you all the best with it.
Oh that bloody 'Capital of Cool' thread! Just as well that I don't pay much attention to all that malarky, I'd be as miserable as sin by now

Had to laugh at your take on Cairns, I've only visited briefly but any place full of intoxicated Japanese sounds quite fun

Thanks very much for the encouragement
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 4:21 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 154
Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Spouse of scouse - I’m sure you are feeling a huge sense of relief now that the decision has been made to return to Australia. All the very best with your list-making! Thanks for your support as we make the move back to Scotland hopefully this summer - one TKR surgery down for my DH and one to go!!
Caroline in Arizona is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th 2018, 6:58 am
  #14  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,495
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona View Post
Spouse of scouse - I’m sure you are feeling a huge sense of relief now that the decision has been made to return to Australia. All the very best with your list-making! Thanks for your support as we make the move back to Scotland hopefully this summer - one TKR surgery down for my DH and one to go!!
Thanks Caroline - yes, it's good to be able to focus instead of wondering! I'm spending a lot of time getting reacquainted with the property market back home, *hopefully* this will be our last move so I want to get it right.

How's your DH going? Is his surgeon optimistic that the surgery was successful, and is he (husband, not surgeon!) managing the exercising ok?

Summer - eeek, that'll come around quickly! Hope all's going well.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th 2018, 7:56 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 154
Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made.

Spouse of scouse - DH is doing well. Pretty intense recovery with the pain, swelling and PT. I’ve become a cheerleader and counter of the repetitions. I even join in with some of the exercises for moral support. He saw the surgeon today and next TKR scheduled for 14th March. If my DH waited too long I don’t think he’d want to go through this again!
Caroline in Arizona is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service