British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Worst Night Of My Life! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/worst-night-my-life-308148/)

chatty34 Jun 12th 2005 4:24 am

Worst Night Of My Life!

Well, if I had any doubts about leaving England, today has finally laid those doubts to rest.
These are personal reasons so please don't feel the need to tell me that this goes on in Australia too, I know this could happen anywhere but it happened to us in England.
It is now 5am and don't think I will be able to sleep until my body gives up later on today.
My daughter has been bullied relentlessly by a group of 14yr old boys at school for just over a year now, mostly name calling but she has also had stones thrown at her and dirty drain water poured over her head and food rubbed into her eyes. The school have tried to intervene and stop them but seem to have their hands tied.
She ventured to the local village Fete today. She phoned me after one hour crying and asking me to come and pick her up, yep the group were there and were up to their usual nasty tricks, name calling, telling other boys that she doesn't even know to go and hit her, and the ring leader rode his bike into her and kicked her. Sadly but understandably her friends do not intervene, because whilst its her they pick on... you know the rest.
My husband came home from his late shift at 8pm and when he heard what had happened decided enough is enough and drove to the ring leaders house to speak to his father, thinking that they would be like us if our son was bullying a girl (horrified :mad: ) WRONG...... They had a house full of rowdy drunk people and rather than discuss it with my husband, the father and around another 10 men + teenage boys jumped on my husband and got him on the ground and proceeded to kick him and kick him and kick him, mostly in the head and whilst they were doing this the teenage boys and other men kicked our car and smashed our car lights.
I have spent 6 hours at the hospital with my husband who is now home and in bed. I cannot look at him without wanting to cry. His face is swollen like a football and black and blue, one eye has completely closed up and he can hardly walk. The doctor could not believe that the xray showed no fractures as he actually has 2 clear stamp marks on his head along with the bruises. I am sure if my husband had been a smaller man I would not have him home with me now and that he would be lying on a slab in a mortuary.
We also came home to messages that they are coming round to finish him off tonight or tomorrow.
Finish him off?? He hasn't even bloody done anything wrong, he just wanted to ask the parents to stop their son bullying our daughter. I just cannot see how total strangers can kick someone that they don't even know in the head repeatedly, how can people feel that hate and aggression for absolutely no reason.
I cannot tell my husband that I don't feel safe going to bed, this would upset him more but these are the kind of people that wont drop it because I called the police. The ring leaders father is now in a police cell charged with G.B.H and C.I.D have said that they will arrest all the others too but I am not so sure as we don't know any of their names or addresses and obviously before the police arrived at the scene they had all disappeared.
I am so sorry to ramble on and hope I haven't bored anyone that reads it but I am just so upset I had to write it all down.
Please Please, let our house sale go through quickly and smoothly!

spalen Jun 12th 2005 4:32 am

Re: Worst Night Of My Life!

If you're moving to aus anyway think about maybe moving sooner and going into rental or something.

Some people are Scum, they are not however beyond the law - if it were me I'd have the kids out of that school - sod the consequences , and be on the phone to the school about expulsions and the council and the governors. BOllocks to all this 'dont run away' crap , this sounds like its beyond the realms of sensible acts.

Good luck to you & yours - you know what when you get that visa and get over here it'll be a very big relief . That crap does go on over here Im sure but I havent read about it in any papers here , but in the UK local paper you can pick & choose your story... either the press dont report it , or more likely, its less prevelant.

louise4 Jun 12th 2005 4:32 am

oh chattychazza, i really don't know what to say. except i am sooooo glad that your husband hasn't got any really derious damage done to him. i wish i could come round and give you a hug, what an absolute shock.

these bastards are ruining people's lives and have not one jot of concience. the police try but as you say, unless they brake ranks, little hope of getting all of them. do you have someone who can come and sit with you? could you not live with family until the house goes through. even if it meant taking your poor daughter away from school for a couple of months, won't make any difference to her schooling for that amount of time.
i really don't know what else to say except i hope you can all stay safe and strong and your husband makes a speedy recovery.

Louise

Bordy Jun 12th 2005 4:34 am

Sounds horrific Shaza, the sooner you all get on that plane the better.
Best wishes with the house sale & the new life in Brissy.

Megalania Jun 12th 2005 4:39 am

Awful. Have my first karma. Inform the police of the threats - they may be able to monitor your phone for caller's numbers and protect you.

Scossie Jun 12th 2005 4:46 am

Bloody Hell Sharon..:mad:

That's probably got me more angry than any post I've ever seen on BE!
My sympathies go out to you, your poor husband, and the rest of your family.

Good to see that you've got the police onto this F**king scum!
Hope the police catch the rest of th b*stards as well!

I know you must be scared at the moment, but don't be intimidated by this sort of bloody pondlife! Make sure you take it all the way & the courts jail them all and throw away the key...:mad:

Once again, our best wishes to you and yours...

Cheers.... John & Gillian....

Loopy Jun 12th 2005 4:49 am

OMG I felt sick reading your post, you poor things. That is disgusting. I agree with other posters, my daughter wouldn't be going back to school until I knew she would be safe going. Is there a relative you could send her to stay with for a couple of weeks, not running away, but just away from the situation for a while. Don't worry about schooling as she'll catch up & as she's leaving anyway....... What stage is your house sale at?

Sending you karma (if I can, never done it b4)

Loopy

chatty34 Jun 12th 2005 5:02 am

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words and encouragement, I know I don't know any of you personally but I need to grab some faith in human kind at the moment and the fact that people that I don't know take the time to reply and send kind wishes means a lot.
I agree 100% with everything that all of you wrote, I will see it through with the police and I wont let my daughter spend one more day in that school. My children were too scared to stay here last night so may well have to stay with relatives for a while.
The survey on our house came back 2 weeks ago all ok and our buyers have sold to first time buyers so everything crossed that it wont be long now.

Sharon
x

Phoenixuk2oz Jun 12th 2005 5:11 am

Thank god your husband is OK.

He's probably going to be traumatised for a long, long time and these kind of things have an uncanny knack of making people feel responsible for some unknown reason. It has probably knocked the stuffing out of your husband, making him feel vulnerable. He may wonder how he can protect his family when these cretins have done this to him.

The crux of the matter is that you, your husband and daughter have done nothing wrong. You must reassure yourselves of this, keep your confidence and be strong for each other, as a team.

I don't want to scaremonger, but I agree with the others on here. Get out of that house and that place asap. I wouldn't put it past those morons to come back as unfortunately the law is no deterrent in the UK. It protects the wrong people. Yes of course this can happen anywhere in the world, however I also noticed before leaving UK that there has been a massive decline in moral values, something of which I haven't encountered anywhere else, ever.

The other thing to consider, which no doubt you have, is your daughter's long term wellbeing. God knows how much mental anguish all this has caused her already. The body heals a lot quicker than the mind when these things happen and I wouldn't be at all surprised if your daughter is a broken person with no confidence and low self esteem after all of this. No doubt she too will blame herself, which is of course nonsense but understandable. I believe you daughter is going to take a long time to heal from this experience and her new life in Aus will help her to trust people again.

Please reassure your daughter, your husband and yourself that you are not to blame. You must consider yourselves targets....not a victims......and fight back this injustice with your heads held high. Otherwise those morons will have conquered and won and by god they don't deserve to.

You sound a level headed person who's strong enough to cope. You need to work out a strategy to get away from there asap and keep your goals of a new life in Aus in mind. This will keep you sane during this very stressful time.

Everyone on here inc myself and my family wish you all the best. It beggars beyond belief that people can do this to each other, but there you go. Wherever there are humans there is this kind of behaviour. You've just got to keep strong and not let it get to you. Put it into perspective....and move on.

My thoughts are with you. Take care and good luck.

NickyC Jun 12th 2005 5:13 am

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Thanks so much everyone for the kind words and encouragement, I know I don't know any of you personally but I need to grab some faith in human kind at the moment and the fact that people that I don't know take the time to reply and send kind wishes means a lot.
I agree 100% with everything that all of you wrote, I will see it through with the police and I wont let my daughter spend one more day in that school. My children were too scared to stay here last night so may well have to stay with relatives for a while.
The survey on our house came back 2 weeks ago all ok and our buyers have sold to first time buyers so everything crossed that it wont be long now.

Sharon
x

You poor people, what a terrible thing to happen. Hope the house sale goes thru as quickly as possible and you can get out of there.

chatty34 Jun 12th 2005 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Thank god your husband is OK.

He's probably going to be traumatised for a long, long time and these kind of things have an uncanny knack of making people feel responsible for some unknown reason. It has probably knocked the stuffing out of your husband, making him feel vulnerable. He may wonder how he can protect his family when these cretins have done this to him.

The crux of the matter is that you, your husband and daughter have done nothing wrong. You must reassure yourselves of this, keep your confidence and be strong for each other, as a team.

I don't want to scaremonger, but I agree with the others on here. Get out of that house and that place asap. I wouldn't put it past those morons to come back as unfortunately the law is no deterrent in the UK. It protects the wrong people. Yes of course this can happen anywhere in the world, however I also noticed before leaving UK that there has been a massive decline in moral values, something of which I haven't encountered anywhere else, ever.

The other thing to consider, which no doubt you have, is your daughter's long term wellbeing. God knows how much mental anguish all this has caused her already. The body heals a lot quicker than the mind when these things happen and I wouldn't be at all surprised if your daughter is a broken person with no confidence and low self esteem after all of this. No doubt she too will blame herself, which is of course nonsense but understandable. I believe you daughter is going to take a long time to heal from this experience and her new life in Aus will help her to trust people again.

Please reassure your daughter, your husband and yourself that you are not to blame. You must consider yourselves targets....not a victims......and fight back this injustice with your heads held high. Otherwise those morons will have conquered and won and by god they don't deserve to.

You sound a level headed person who's strong enough to cope. You need to work out a strategy to get away from there asap and keep your goals of a new life in Aus in mind. This will keep you sane during this very stressful time.

Everyone on here inc myself and my family wish you all the best. It beggars beyond belief that people can do this to each other, but there you go. Wherever there are humans there is this kind of behaviour. You've just got to keep strong and not let it get to you. Put it into perspective....and move on.

My thoughts are with you. Take care and good luck.

Wow, it's like you are a fly on our wall. You are absolutely right in everything you have said, even our 10yr old son was blaming himself for not being older and being able to protect his sister and yes I think we will all be very traumatised by this for a very long time. I do believe that we will come out stronger through this.
I don't think I have ever loved and cherished my husband and children more than I do right now. And my husband at the moment has no regrets, he said that the mental pain of not doing anything about the bullying was worse than the physical pain he is in right now,(think he may regret the timing, but how was he to know that they would have a house full of thugs, rather than just one or two) he quoted someone whilst we were in the hospital, cant remember who and what exactly but something along the lines of
"Whilst good men stand by and do nothing, evil will flourish" which is right or course. We will just have to try not to punish ourselves too much that we let it go on for this long and remember to hold our heads up high.
Tomorrow/Today will be a day of discussion and reassurance in our house and think we will probably say bye to our house and go and stay with relatives whilst the sale goes through.
Thanks again everyone!

louise4 Jun 12th 2005 5:51 am

Tomorrow/Today will be a day of discussion and reassurance in our house and think we will probably say bye to our house and go and stay with relatives whilst the sale goes through.
Thanks again everyone!

as hard as this will be for you i think that it is the most sensible thing concidering the kind of people you are dealing with. staying will only keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for the 'revenge' (for want of a better word) bullies (because that is what the father is also) will never see reason and take this further, just to save face. no matter what harm done to you family in the process.
move in with family and try, please try, to make your last days in the UK relatively happy.

Louisex

ahoy Jun 12th 2005 5:54 am

Wow, it's like you are a fly on our wall. You are absolutely right in everything you have said, even our 10yr old son was blaming himself for not being older and being able to protect his sister and yes I think we will all be very traumatised by this for a very long time. I do believe that we will come out stronger through this.
I don't think I have ever loved and cherished my husband and children more than I do right now. And my husband at the moment has no regrets, he said that the mental pain of not doing anything about the bullying was worse than the physical pain he is in right now,(think he may regret the timing, but how was he to know that they would have a house full of thugs, rather than just one or two) he quoted someone whilst we were in the hospital, cant remember who and what exactly but something along the lines of
"Whilst good men stand by and do nothing, evil will flourish" which is right or course. We will just have to try not to punish ourselves too much that we let it go on for this long and remember to hold our heads up high.
Thanks again everyone!

i think your husband, and yourself and your children are very brave. its a terrible, terrible thing and i can understand your need to feel some humanity through the forum. rest assured that people like that are a minority who, unfortunately, can have devestating effects. i wonder if you ought to get in touch with victim support. i know they have been fantastic with others. they have a web site or the number is 0845 30 30 900. you will have lots of support from here and friends, family, but it might be useful to talk to experienced people. i wish you all the best and wish i could do more. your husban is a hero.

mand8002 Jun 12th 2005 5:57 am

Hi Chattyshazza

So sorry to hear what happened but agree with Spalen, that although I am sure things like that happen in Oz, I have not heard of any. I am bayside in Brisbane, at Ormiston and feel incredibly safe here. Hopefully once you arrive here your daughter will be able to pick up the pieces and not suffer any long term effects from what she has been through.
One thing I have noticed here is that although the kids are extremely confident they seem to have more repect for adults, and surely this is the way it should be.
Hope your husband recovers soon and that the police catch these people.
My thoughts are with you.
Amanda

Phoenixuk2oz Jun 12th 2005 6:01 am

I don't think I have ever loved and cherished my husband and children more than I do right now.

That's the spirit. Be strong and prop each other up during the low points.

A friend once said during my low points "everything for a reason"...and at times I've questioned what reasons there are behind some awful things that have happened. However always...always...things have turned out good.

I put that down to not wallowing in self pity but making the best out of a bad situation. Like you, I realise "shit happens".

Learn from it..let it make us stronger....and move on. Just as you are doing ;)

You've got great new lives to look forward to in Aus. Keep this as your main focus .....and you'll be OK.