Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are you migrating?

Why are you migrating?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by kong
PP, I was replying to threelegs who said;

"Besides, we live on the Isle of Man and the house prices are almost comparable with those in the Home Counties.

I dread to think how our children would be able to afford their own property in twenty years time here.

Most young people on the Island are forced to buy with family members or friends to get them on the ladder".

He seems to think his kids would be better off when it comes to house purchase than the UK. When Adults, his kids will be earning the rubber dollar, no UK house sale pounds for them. Therefore they would have to take on an impossibily high mortgage.

Please read more carefully before dismissing my comments.
Excuse me?...how was i dismissing your comments? All i said wa that not evryone has the same set of situations. That is not dismissing anything!!

You are also assuming that these kids of British imigrants are somehow always going to want ot return to the UK and get ont he housing ladder there...how do you or i know that? They may not have any desire to do that. The world does not revolve around the UK pound.

As for these kids down here getting ont he housing ladder? I distinctly remeber seeing a news article on TV before i left UK (3yrs ago) saying the exact same thing. It would be no easier whichever side of the world you are.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:51 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kong
Average house prices in OZ are 8 to 9 times the average wage.

In which way is that giving your kids a better chance of home ownership than the UK?

As for better oppurtunities, employment? A lot of people in Oz are "Casuals" IE no holiday, sick pay, no rights at all as such. A lot of people wish to work more hours to boost their paultry pay, yet it is not available. Or course unemployment is much higher in Oz than UK too.

How many Eastern Block refugees are there in the Isle of Man, not many I wager.

Lastly, YOU will be seen as a refugee by the Aussies, no better than your fellow chinese, Polish, Italian, Lebanese migrant.

I would therefore get used to receiving racist comments, instead of dishing them out. You bloody Poms come here and take our jobs and push up the house prices with your friggin pounds.
what a load of bollo, we live on the gold coast, we are out and about all the time, never once have we heard a derogatory word from anyone about nationality, a friendly jibe or two after we won the Rugby last year what would you expect! as for house prices still cheap by comparison. Also my wife works on a casual basis, she gets 20% more money than her colleagues, but no holiday or sick pay, athe big bonus is that she can choose her own hours.

The children love it here, there is no pressure to be better than anyone else, no stigma as to what clothes they wear, the aussies don't even know what mingas or skanks are! best move we ever made coming to Oz.

Slater
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:59 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine-ee-ine etc.

To save Kong a post, I came up with some stat's for him:

On average, the UK's annual temperature is 27c compared to Oz which is minus 15.

The average hours per day of sunshine in the UK is 29 whereas Oz is just seven minutes.

You can wear shorts on average for 389 days per year in the UK compared to just 17 in Australia.

On average, a glass of water will freeze in 6 minutes in the middle of Winter in Brisbane, whereas it will never freeze in January in the UK.

On average, it rains continuously for 203 days per year in Sydney, but it never rains for more than 23 minutes consecutively in the UK.

Polar bears now prefer Alice Springs to any other tourist destination, whereas there is a 700% rise in tropical parrots in Rotherham.

I think I've covered most weather stat's. Feel free to add more.

Paul.

Source: The same place as all Kong stat's.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:03 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by diddy
Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine-ee-ine etc.

To save Kong a post, I came up with some stat's for him:

On average, the UK's annual temperature is 27c compared to Oz which is minus 15.

The average hours per day of sunshine in the UK is 29 whereas Oz is just seven minutes.

You can wear shorts on average for 389 days per year in the UK compared to just 17 in Australia.

On average, a glass of water will freeze in 6 minutes in the middle of Winter in Brisbane, whereas it will never freeze in January in the UK.

On average, it rains continuously for 203 days per year in Sydney, but it never rains for more than 23 minutes consecutively in the UK.

Polar bears now prefer Alice Springs to any other tourist destination, whereas there is a 700% rise in tropical parrots in Rotherham.

I think I've covered most weather stat's. Feel free to add more.

Paul.

Source: The same place as all Kong stat's.

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Sometimes a post crops up that just makes you laugh out loud

...parrots in rotherham
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:09 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

The more I read kong's whinging the more I realise he was a sullen and downcast fellow before he moved anywhere. Simply took it all on the road with him.

A guy like kong truly isn't happy anywhere.

Maybe the Faroe Islands are next for him.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Slater
what a load of bollo, we live on the gold coast, we are out and about all the time, never once have we heard a derogatory word from anyone about nationality, a friendly jibe or two after we won the Rugby last year what would you expect! as for house prices still cheap by comparison. Also my wife works on a casual basis, she gets 20% more money than her colleagues, but no holiday or sick pay, athe big bonus is that she can choose her own hours.

The children love it here, there is no pressure to be better than anyone else, no stigma as to what clothes they wear, the aussies don't even know what mingas or skanks are! best move we ever made coming to Oz.

Slater
Hiya Slater
what are mingas and skanks

Hope you are all well.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

The board needs characters like Kong...

I doubt whether many here agree with his sentiments or reasoning but perversly I find his comments and more particularly his statistics, rather amusing.

He could be described by some as bitter and twisted, not me though...I'd go for the term "mixed up".

Let the Kong times roll...

Three Legs

Originally posted by Ulujain
The more I read kong's whinging the more I realise he was a sullen and downcast fellow before he moved anywhere. Simply took it all on the road with him.

A guy like kong truly isn't happy anywhere.

Maybe the Faroe Islands are next for him.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:24 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
mmm, 'averages' do tend to be 'generalisations'!!

I'm not up to date on Melbourne house prices but last Dec avg was $370k for all of Melbourne (across 200 burbs), not just central; avg wage is something like $50K. $370k +7% stamp duty = near on $400k (i.e. 8x wage)

Avg wages out of city are often less than city wages....ditto house prices.

But that's just talking about averages! You could of course earn >avg and buy house < avg.......etc etc ...all sorts of permutations!

Yup, average UK house £200K average earnings £25K, again 8:1 ratio.

Looks the same to me.

We are going for a better lifestyle for the kids/us, better weather and mortgage free will be a great help

However we are going with a very open mind, might be back after a couple years, but you don't know until you've tried it!!

PJ
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

This thread deals to much about the short term

In the Uk, yes house prices are way too high(.about time for a crash.)

In Australia, in particular the eastern states, this is already happening according to some reports.

But for long term views, when your children have grown up and you are thinking of retiring with a nice little pension and own your own property(s), there is one advantage which Australia has over the UK

That is INHERITANCE TAX.

This does not exist in Australia......why?

1 reason: Australia benefits the Rich massively.

I know where I want to keep my wealth, when I finally get some.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:52 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

why am I migrating? well I'm already away from home, British living in US, so I already miss England. But family says it has changed so much so lookin elsewhere. DONT want to come back here, so no problem there. already have sun, beaches, bbq. but thats not what I'm after. live in busy city now and I want to live rurally, so SIR visa is great for me. I just want more relaxed lifestyle, a little land, different culture than over here. want my children to have better life. and yes I know I'll have to work hard to regain financially after the cost of moving. but I've never been afraid of hard work. like it actually. makes you feel good inside. a sense of acclomplishment.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacko1
Yup, average UK house £200K average earnings £25K, again 8:1 ratio.
avg UK house price 200k? What source is that from if you dont mind me asking?

Last I heard (about 4 weeks ago) it was 160k
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:48 pm
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
avg UK house price 200k? What source is that from if you dont mind me asking?

Last I heard (about 4 weeks ago) it was 160k
I think 160K is the average first time buyer, 200K seems more reasonable for what somebody moving on/up would expect to pay.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 5:24 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Jigsaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Similar Reasons

Originally posted by bridiej
OK, my reasons include all of the above, plus the growing crime rate (despite what the stats say!), the fact that we are not rich (so have to work) and not low income (so get no help from the state whatsoever) and have to shell out so much just to exist that there is next to nothing left for actually living!

Plus the enormous influx of illegal immigrants in our area (we're on the Kent coast about 15 miles from Dover so have tonnes of them!) which adds to the crime and sick and tired of hearing about the handouts they get whilst we are eeking an existance...

Have always fancied Oz, and think it's the right environment to bring up a family and although working week may be longer, hubby currently works 60+ hours a week, so surely he'll be doing less hours than that (hope)!
Hey reasons with us are almost the same. Do not life down south, but we also are sick and tired of the same old story. Get here illegally and hey you can live of the state comfortably, get everything free and if all else fails when you want something extra just play the " we are a minority and therefore must be discriminated against"

We also like yourself's, have worked hard for what we have. With no help from the state - penalised at every turn when the kids where little for attempting to out to work!

Have always fancied Oz. When l first met my hubby he said " l lived in Oz as a kid and am looking to go back" That was nearly 20 years ago. Have passed the points test. Kids are all up for it. Give it a whirl l reckon. Will miss family and friends, but imtend to make loads more (friends that is not family).

We are also getting our TRA app together. We must be at the same point. Has taken months to compile it all. Hubby is a spark and never realised just what vast work experience he has had. Keep in touch and we can compare notes - we are headed for Brisbane. What about you?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 5:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by uluru
I think 160K is the average first time buyer, 200K seems more reasonable for what somebody moving on/up would expect to pay.
No, 160k is the average UK house price, for all properties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.