Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are you migrating?

Why are you migrating?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:28 pm
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Amazulu
It's now GBP170k:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3886097.stm
As usual the BBC's figures are a bit behind the times, the current average is closer £180K.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN...n_id=2004_0161
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:55 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kong
LOL are seriuosly saying that Adelaide and Bris can compare to Sydney and Melbourne for employment???

Yes houses are cheaper in those areas. They also offer less choice of work and lower wages. The cheaper houses reflect the lower income of the locals. The same argument could be appilied in the UK. London/Home counties expensive houses/high wages. Northern cities/provincial towns etc lower wages/cheaper houses.

What this suggests is that you do not need to move 12000 miles to find a cheaper house and a higher chance of lower wages or unemployment.

Yes, wages are lower in Perth than Sydney - By 15% (average) : Source. KIC

Yes, House Prices are lower in Perth than Sydney - By 50% (average) : Source. REIWA

DO THE MATH

Of course you're right to say within the UK you find similar situations between London and say Glasgow and then again between Glasgow and Inverness, but from my 10 years experience working in the UK, people in London and the "south" dont want to move to the "sticks".

Also if you are going to move away from your comfort zone, why not go the full hog and move 12000 miles rather than 200, and experience something so much more different.

Edited to add -

Equally I should point out aussies in Sydney looking for a change or new adventure would rather move the 12000 miles to UK than to Perth or Adelaide cos they also dont want to live in the "sticks". Its a worldwide phenomenon, but doesnt mean the "sticks" aren't great places to live.

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Jul 23rd 2004 at 12:18 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are you migrating?

Originally posted by TrickyTree
Renth i'm a shaven headed football fan can I not come into Oz??????

TT
Of course you can, you probably wouldn't like it though.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:10 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris

DO THE MATH
You'll soon find out that they can't.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:15 am
kong

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mairi&Chris

DO THE MATH

Sorry, I did not realise that I was in The "I want to be a yank and use their bastardised English" forum.

Still Aus with its plastic shopping malls, maccas with huge signs and a fat, fast food addicted population is the original yankee wannabee.

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I don't see the UK govt screwing the home buyer for 7% stamp duty on any property over $115k as they do in Victoria.

The Victorian Govt just increased the First Home Buyers grant by $5000 as a compromise for not removing the stamp duty...so as a first home buyer you get £12,000....

Not bad in my book
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Some people on here have very blinkered views on Australia, after having lived there. Why? Because they have come here and have stayed in only one city, have decided they dont like it, give up and return to UK, and start criticising Oz.

Well I think there views are worthless to be honest because there view is from their experience of living AND working in ONE city only. They may also have only come from living in ONE area in the UK all there life.

Their horizons may have been broadened, but not broad enough in my opinion.

Before anyone starts...I am aware of people who are migrating who may also be coming from a place in the UK where they have lived all there lives.

I am just giving my opinion here and after having lived AND worked in a few cities/towns/villages both in the UK and Australia.

Mairi, agree with you there on the house prices.

House prices vary wildly regionally in both UK and Australia and certainly are most expensive in the highy populated areas.
Sydney and maybe Melbourne have prices equivalent to UK and that is one reason I am not living there. Over populataion, claustrophobic city life are the others.

In Perth, where there is less population,house prices are very affordable even when earning the Perth average salary of $40K

Less people = less job opportunities= wrong. If people would dig a bit deeper in researching before they spout, they will find that there is plenty of job opportunities here in WA as a whole.

Western Australia has the potential to grow enormously and wealthy judging by the amount of natural resources available and also other resources as yet untapped. This Industry is the Gas, Oil and Mining.

So if you are an Engineer of any sort this is the place to be.

Already, there is huge demand for jobs in this industry and from a few sources, alot of the work is taken up by foreigners.
A demand in this sector can offset demand in others.

May I also add that, if people havent moved around the UK, like for work reasons, then maybe worth the time to see if you can handle another place before going to Oz. For this I mean mainly missing family and friends.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:03 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

hey! can you find me a good quality family sized home in brisbane for $250K. i can't find *anything* but bloody units for under $350K, unless i head 15km outside the city itself!! (or live woodridge *shudder*).

being a first time buyer i simply CANNOT afford to buy in brisbane

Originally posted by wombat42
l agree that buying a house in Sydney and many parts of Melbourne is just as or almost as expensive as the Uk, but if you
look at the house prices in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and many good quality regional areas close to capital cities, you can buy
a good quality family sized house for $250,000 Australian dollars.
Most people believe these places have a better quality of life then crowded Sydney and Melbourne with almost the same employment opportunities.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:16 am
wombat42

Originally posted by brisnick
hey! can you find me a good quality family sized home in brisbane for $250K. i can't find *anything* but bloody units for under $350K, unless i head 15km outside the city itself!! (or live woodridge *shudder*).

being a first time buyer i simply CANNOT afford to buy in brisbane
l should'nt have included Brisbane.

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:50 am
Badge

House prices are expensive anywhere now.

However many migrants get around this due to their capital - OK good for them! You can better yourself by coming out here - I have. I have gone from flat owner to the prospect of being a proper home owner.

I would advise caution for people with no money coming to Australia - but if they were very young they would be able to work their way up in what they would probably consider (rightly, or wrongly) a better environment.

Warning - earning the Aussie dollar may still make some of you poor - so for many, it will be mortgage free, same expenses, trouble with money, day to day ie. same sh*t, shiner bucket.

There are still LOADS of value added aspects of life in Australia that money can't buy - like outdoors (esp in the warmer states) and less crowding.

I agree with Renth DESPITE the ocker, hoon v8 element of Aussie society I find Australian society much "nicer" overall. I can't stand the mockney laddish, adverserial culture of the UK. I grew up in situations where being a lad didn't matter - you had your experience and training to rely on - so I can't stand that culture, and used to laugh at it in the UK. Still, people are people everywhere you go and there will always be some git somewhere, but generally Australians tend to try to accomodate most people, avoid conflict.

Not for nothing is Australia considered a laid back country. There is some grain of truth in it somewhere.

BM

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:51 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hels
The Victorian Govt just increased the First Home Buyers grant by $5000 as a compromise for not removing the stamp duty...so as a first home buyer you get £12,000....

Not bad in my book
No it is bad. Victoria has higher stamp duty. You get stung each time you buy a property. You only get the grant once and then they go on screwing you.

They did the increase to the grant as it was less expensive than dropping the stamp and it got them some pretty headlines. It benifits the first time hoembuyer but no one else.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:17 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kong

Sorry, I did not realise that I was in The "I want to be a yank and use their bastardised English" forum.

Still Aus with its plastic shopping malls, maccas with huge signs and a fat, fast food addicted population is the original yankee wannabee.

I just luuuuurrrrve these witty and intelligent rejoinders of yours Kong
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:51 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kong
Originally posted by Mairi&Chris

DO THE MATH

Sucks to be in the UK that only has macca's with little signs. Nobody made you go back; you gotta live with it now.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:02 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

what a load of cobblers.. for a start don't label the Uk as one.. Scotland, Ireland and Wales is not overcrowded . Parts of England is .. there are more people in London than Wales in a far , far smaller area .. 7 mill in London compared to 2.9 mill in the whole of Wales

and as for putting labels on all UK people it's almost as ridiculous as labelling all Australians as being easy going .. don't talk cr*p..

Sh*te I hate these generalising threads.. speak for yourself and don't label the uk as one, don't label the people as one... same goes for Aus.
get real.. and stop living in a fantasy world which exists only in your head

Try this when you talk about overcrowding.. talk about your city, area, country even ... not the UK.. which consists 4 countries.. because that is just so b*llsh*te to lable every part of the UK as overcrowded and this and that, and it takes you ages to get to a beach ... B*LL shite!!!! Because not all of the Uk is like that, and neither is all parts of England like that either!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri

and as for putting labels on all UK people it's almost as ridiculous as labelling all Australians as being easy going .. don't talk cr*p..
Here's a generalisation:

Wales, Scotland, and England are full of Chavs.

So there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.