Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are you migrating?

Why are you migrating?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough

Well my Aussie hubby is putting in his time here in the US but he's eager to get back to OZ. I'm ready to broaden my horizons and have new experiences. Though I've visited Australia I've always lived and rural New England. Looking forward to owning instead of renting, having a more laid back lifestyle, having more of a social life etc.

Paula
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:54 am
kong

Originally posted by Three Legs
We are doing it purely and simply for the kids.

An outdoor lifestyle and a country of such opportunity could not be passed up on, particularly after achieving the pass mark.

Besides, we live on the Isle of Man and the house prices are almost comparable with those in the Home Counties.

I dread to think how our children would be able to afford their own property in twenty years time here.

Most young people on the Island are forced to buy with family members or friends to get them on the ladder.

Tourism here threatens to be extinct and the financial boom is on the decline. Jobs are starting to dry up.

Immigrants from the Eastern block countries are flooding the Island and it's generally more unsafe than it was ten years ago.

That's our story and reasons.

Three Legs

Average house prices in OZ are 8 to 9 times the average wage.

In which way is that giving your kids a better chance of home ownership than the UK?

As for better oppurtunities, employment? A lot of people in Oz are "Casuals" IE no holiday, sick pay, no rights at all as such. A lot of people wish to work more hours to boost their paultry pay, yet it is not available. Or course unemployment is much higher in Oz than UK too.

How many Eastern Block refugees are there in the Isle of Man, not many I wager.

Lastly, YOU will be seen as a refugee by the Aussies, no better than your fellow chinese, Polish, Italian, Lebanese migrant.

I would therefore get used to receiving racist comments, instead of dishing them out. You bloody Poms come here and take our jobs and push up the house prices with your friggin pounds.

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Well today is a perfect example.
1st day of the kids school holidays and we are trapped inside due to torrential rain.
How many times can you go to the sealife centre or Cadbury world? I suppose we could go and sit in a smelly Wacky Warehouse.
I asked the kids if they wanted to go to the park, the farm, go on their bikes, surprisingly they opted for a video.
Sorry if I sound bitter but is this all we've got to look forward to for the next 6 weeks.
I'm not expecting Australia to be a bed of roses, but a little less rain would be nice.
That has got to be my longest post yet, normally quite quiet!!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I dont hate UK, i just prefer it here. The people are far more friendly and less up their own a*se than many in UK though.

I left becaus ei married a Kiwi..got bored with NZ and decided to come here. Kids are grown up, no ties, and loving every minute of the new found freedom.

Kong..not everyone is in your shoes, and not everyone will be forced ot take up a huge mortgage, or put up with casual work. Once again (get tired of saying it) all situations are different, an dif you do not need a mortgage for a home you will undoubtedly be better off and have less pressure on your finances. Fact of life.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:10 am
Podgypossum

Default Re: Why are you migrating?

I dont hate UK, i just prefer it here. The people are far more friendly
and less up their own a*se than many in UK though.

I left becaus ei
married a Kiwi..got bored with NZ and decided to come here. Kids are
grown up, no ties, and loving every minute of the new found freedom.

Kong..not everyone is in your shoes, and not everyone will be forced
ot take up a huge mortgage, or put up with casual work. Once again (get
tired of saying it) all situations are different, an dif you do not need
a mortgage for a home you will undoubtedly be better off and have less
pressure on your finances. Fact of life.

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:22 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kong

Lastly, YOU will be seen as a refugee by the Aussies, no better than your fellow chinese, Polish, Italian, Lebanese migrant.
I think you mean we would be seen as immigrants, NOT refugees!

And I thought only Poms were whingers.!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Once again (get tired of saying it) all situations are different, an dif you do not need a mortgage for a home you will undoubtedly be better off and have less pressure on your finances. Fact of life.
This is true - it's different for everybody.

But you could move to a diff part of the Uk and buy a house for the same price that you could buy a house in Oz....you could live mortgage free in the UK - I do. If I sold my house, I could just afford a house at Melbourne's average house price. Anything better than average and I would need a mortgage. (But I appreciate not everyone wants to live in a diff part of the UK, just as not everyone is migrating for the sake of [perceived] cheaper house prices alone)

I do agree with Kong...first time buyers are priced out of the Aussie house market just like they are in the UK. You (not you PP!) need to consider that your kids will be earning $AUD not GBP.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:24 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Kong,
you're generalising again

Mortgages 8 or 9 times annual salary ??? Sydney Central probably, Melbourne Central probably, elsewhere... I dont think so. Perth definately not.

Refugee - dont think so. Dont you mean Migrant ?????

I would therefore get used to receiving racist comments, instead of dishing them out. You bloody Poms come here and take our jobs and push up the house prices with your friggin pounds.
OUR jobs You're in UK right ? after trying Sydney for 9 months. How is that OUR jobs ??????

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Jul 22nd 2004 at 10:27 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:30 am
kong

Originally posted by podgypossum
Kong..not everyone is in your shoes, and not everyone will be forced ot take up a huge mortgage, or put up with casual work.
PP, I was replying to threelegs who said;

"Besides, we live on the Isle of Man and the house prices are almost comparable with those in the Home Counties.

I dread to think how our children would be able to afford their own property in twenty years time here.

Most young people on the Island are forced to buy with family members or friends to get them on the ladder".

He seems to think his kids would be better off when it comes to house purchase than the UK. When Adults, his kids will be earning the rubber dollar, no UK house sale pounds for them. Therefore they would have to take on an impossibily high mortgage.

Please read more carefully before dismissing my comments.

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

The decision has to be about the persons individual situations.

Have gone through it in my head millions of times. Why do I want to go when everyone I know doesnt have the same thinking?

Am I crazy?

Personally I am pushing for it because I can. I have placed myself into that situation. Will mean giving up hell of alot, relationships/friendships/seeing family weekly. However I look long term & wish to create a new life & give it a chance there (didnt get long enough last time).

Doing this will end up giving you the highest high that you will ever feel but also days will be the lowest of your life. Its remembering the reason why you left & believeing in your decisions.

From experience there I realise I am pretty much putting my career on hold or going backwards. I will become an immigrant who must be prepared to rough it & become outgoing as hell to get on with people.

My quality of life will increase though, after work enjoying the warm nights, weekend at the beach, swimming outside, generally feeling that u have changed something that you werent happy with.

It is not black or white decision, I dont think anyone can really leave UK behind, there is no point in comparing the countries therefore.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Kong,
you're generalising again

Mortgages 8 or 9 times annual salary ??? Sydney Central probably, Melbourne Central probably, elsewhere... I dont think so. Perth definately not.
mmm, 'averages' do tend to be 'generalisations'!!

I'm not up to date on Melbourne house prices but last Dec avg was $370k for all of Melbourne (across 200 burbs), not just central; avg wage is something like $50K. $370k +7% stamp duty = near on $400k (i.e. 8x wage)

Avg wages out of city are often less than city wages....ditto house prices.

But that's just talking about averages! You could of course earn >avg and buy house < avg.......etc etc ...all sorts of permutations!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:58 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
mmm, 'averages' do tend to be 'generalisations'!!

I'm not up to date on Melbourne house prices but last Dec avg was $370k for all of Melbourne (across 200 burbs), not just central; avg wage is something like $50K. $370k +7% stamp duty = near on $400k (i.e. 8x wage)

Avg wages out of city are often less than city wages....ditto house prices.

But that's just talking about averages! You could of course earn >avg and buy house < avg.......etc etc ...all sorts of permutations!

absolutely agree. Unless you consider district by district, or even street by street, it has to be averages but to average for the whole of OZ gives a distorted picture, just like taking London info and claiming it's average for the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

clandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Outdoor lifestyle, weather, change; too many negative aspects in the uk to mention, the only positive one i can think of is my friends and family. And if it doesn't work out we will be try NZ, Canada, quite frankly elsewhere, because we will not be coming back to live in the UK, they can shove it.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr (I presume) Kong...

In our particular case, we shall be taking in excess of £180K to move onto the Australian property ladder in Perth.

Whilst I appreciate & understand your comments with regard first time buyers in Oz, in our case we will be able to assist when our kids grow up.

As for the comment implying we are refugee's, well I can only shake my head to that...

As for Poms pushing up the house prices...

Your Government's immigration policy...

LIVE WITH IT ! (pardon me for shouting).

Three Legs

In which way is that giving your kids a better chance of home ownership than the UK?

As for better oppurtunities, employment? A lot of people in Oz are "Casuals" IE no holiday, sick pay, no rights at all as such. A lot of people wish to work more hours to boost their paultry pay, yet it is not available. Or course unemployment is much higher in Oz than UK too.

How many Eastern Block refugees are there in the Isle of Man, not many I wager.

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:22 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Three Legs
Mr (I presume) Kong...

Your Government's immigration policy...
One of yours, thankfully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.