Wikiposts

Why Adelaide ?

Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nara,

Mr M has been helpful to me too, so thanks MM.

Looking forward too to the weather warming up, just ordered a Pergola to be built within 8 weeks we hope, so want to be out there ready to sit under it with a glass of wine asap.

Mash...

Nara, are you from Nottingham? We're from Derby!.
Originally posted by Nara
OK, I'll start again...

I love Adelaide. I'm 24, and earlier this year bought a flat with my boyfriend, the next month we got a dog. With the work I'm doing and the funds we'd saved this would not have been possible in London, and if we'd done it in Nottingham, or similar, we would never have got such a nice place for the equivalent price.

Nara
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Nara

Good to hear that you are so happy in Adelaide. Personally I think Adelaide is a lovely city, I grew up there and would return to live there in a heartbeat. Think everyone has to remember there is no such thing as a perfect location, there will always be something you miss from the past, but that is only natural.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mashiraz
Hi Nara,

Mr M has been helpful to me too, so thanks MM.

Looking forward too to the weather warming up, just ordered a Pergola to be built within 8 weeks we hope, so want to be out there ready to sit under it with a glass of wine asap.

Mash...

Nara, are you from Nottingham? We're from Derby!.
Hi Mash,

Glad to see you're finally here, and enjoying it.

I was born in Grantham, Lincs, and lived in Colston Bassett, Notts (near Cotgrave and Bingham) for 6 years, also spent some time in Rutland. I'm in North Adelaide now; Melbourne St.

Not long now until it's beautiful. My jasmine's starting to flower and is just yelling out to be sat next to How cheap's the wine over here!?

Nara
Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'll start again...

Firstly: I'll apologise to MrMover for judging you only upon the posts I read in this thread. I haven't been to the forum for a couple of months and hadn't read any other posts of yours.

Secondly: to answer the initial question I'll paste what I've just posted in a thread asking if anyone is happy with their move to Australia.

I've been here nearly 3 years now. I fell in love with my Adelaidian boyfriend over in London, spent a year here on a WHV and then got a de facto spouse visa. I'm just in the process of getting everything together for my 2 year re-assessment (so much easier the second time around).

I love Adelaide. I'm 24, and earlier this year bought a flat with my boyfriend, the next month we got a dog. With the work I'm doing and the funds we'd saved this would not have been possible in London, and if we'd done it in Nottingham, or similar, we would never have got such a nice place for the equivalent price.

I love the attitude here, it suits me well. I'm sure if I was a bit more ambitious I might be better suited to Melbourne or Sydney.

The weather's great. We get four seasons in Adelaide, with spring and autumn being my favourites - Summer is mostly lovely, but when you get 10 days in a row when it's over 35c it can get a bit too much (especially 3 days in a row over 40c!).

The winter weather is slowly abating - 16c here today, so that means the barbeques will start happening again. We can resume sitting on our balconies in the evening. Al fresco eating and drinking in the city is so pleasant.

I miss my family and friends, but I'm happy knowing that we get on well and speak often, I've been home once, and they're coming over here in stages.

I won't go on about the downside to living here, but can tell you that the upside makes my stay and love it!

Nara
Thank you ,nara ,apology accepted, now its my turn, i apologise to sunlover for calling, him/her? [i honestly dont know} an Elitist,i apologise to mashiraz for not saying welcome to south oz,I apologise to Welshpom for calling him Taff, and any one else that i might, have ,or appeared to have upset, We are having a torrid time at the moment, the Americans at Pine gap [near Alice springs] sat- base, are changing personnel, so we get load after load in to Adelaide ,which we reload the lift vans into containers ,and resend them to rail for ALICE, so the company is hunting for small jobs to fill up the containers..2pm i have to drive 150km round trip to Alandale North, to pick up a bed ,2 suitcases, and 2boxes for Alice, i have just got home, [6pm] saw ,3 school buses ,10cars, and 200sheep, 4horses, before you say, 4hrs to drive 150km , remember i had to load,[15mins] and with country people, have a yarn[chat] 30mins , ...just an insight in to my day, it will be nice to hear about Adelaide for a change , instead of Perth-perth-perth............. MM
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by mr mover
Thank you ,nara ,apology accepted, now its my turn, i apologise to sunlover for calling, him/her? [i honestly dont know} an Elitist,i apologise to mashiraz for not saying welcome to south oz,I apologise to Welshpom for calling him Taff, and any one else that i might, have ,or appeared to have upset, We are having a torrid time at the moment, the Americans at Pine gap [near Alice springs] sat- base, are changing personnel, so we get load after load in to Adelaide ,which we reload the lift vans into containers ,and resend them to rail for ALICE, so the company is hunting for small jobs to fill up the containers..2pm i have to drive 150km round trip to Alandale North, to pick up a bed ,2 suitcases, and 2boxes for Alice, i have just got home, [6pm] saw ,3 school buses ,10cars, and 200sheep, 4horses, before you say, 4hrs to drive 150km , remember i had to load,[15mins] and with country people, have a yarn[chat] 30mins , ...just an insight in to my day, it will be nice to hear about Adelaide for a change , instead of Perth-perth-perth............. MM

Apology accepted MM.

If it's any consolation I haven't gotten home before 10pm one night this week. So I am probably also quite ratty.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Vicky88
Think Mount Barker is a good area to be in as with the new freeway into the city think it is now a reasonable trip. I have friends who live at Woodside and they love it. Plenty of acreage around that area. If you are scared of snakes, think twice about country living because you will encounter them in the AH.

I believe you have to take all suggestions in context of people's preferences. I was the one that said Norwood was too trendy, however I did qualify that atmosphere was not what I was after. For the right person the area would be wonderful. Lots of restaurants and cafe life. I never suggested that no-one should even consider the area. I'm just at a different stage of my life where I have requirements which can not be met by that area.

I don't think that anyone should get upset because someone comments on a particular area as being unsuitable. All everyone has to remember is they are only opinions, not facts, and as long as you are happy with your choice there is no need to justify that choice to anyone.

Just want to add that MrMover has always been extremely helpful to people on this site. Think his comment was in reaction to a negative comment made about an area close to his heart.

Thanks, good post. It was not my intention to offend anybody by labelling an area as unsuitable. More a caution really and ofcourse a personal opinion.

I agree that parts of the Eastern Suburbs are very trendy with lots of cafes etc. but there are also parts that are not. I like the area more for it's leafiness - big old trees and lovely gardens than for it's great shopping.

Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:54 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mash,

Glad to see you're finally here, and enjoying it.

I was born in Grantham, Lincs, and lived in Colston Bassett, Notts (near Cotgrave and Bingham) for 6 years, also spent some time in Rutland. I'm in North Adelaide now; Melbourne St.

Not long now until it's beautiful. My jasmine's starting to flower and is just yelling out to be sat next to How cheap's the wine over here!?

Nara
one thing that most people comment on about Adelaide is the ease,with which you can grow roses, and my favourite Cymbidium orchids ,which are just starting to flower, these flowers just love the cold winters and hot summers........ MM
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:04 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by mr mover
one thing that most people comment on about Adelaide is the ease,with which you can grow roses
forget the roses, those colourful daisies (are they called 'cape daisies' ?) that I used to buy and plant in the UK are weeds down here by the beach. There are millions of them and most are in flower right now.

Ah yes, here's what they look like:
http://www.waltonnurseries.co.uk/Gal...aisies_jpg.htm
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:11 pm
Banned

Originally posted by welshpom
forget the roses, those colourful daisies (are they called 'cape daisies' ?) that I used to buy and plant in the UK are weeds down here by the beach. There are millions of them and most are in flower right now.

there,s another which grows wild in coastal dunes and limestone ridges called "pig face" i can,t remember the botanical name, i believe it is grown in europe, as an ornamental..... MM
Old Aug 27th 2003, 9:19 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a question for all of you in Adelaide Perry and James want to do a spot of fishing. Any suggestions as to the best place and equipement hire. I better ask as well do they do tours and samples of Coopers Pale. Me I prefer wine tasting.

Sarah
Old Aug 27th 2003, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah

As a non-fisher person can't help you out.

Nara, I love North Adelaide. Do you ever go to the Elephant Walk for coffee and cake? I love their brandy snaps. Also Najjars have great cakes. I always go to the Italian pasta place on O'Connell Street when I am in Adelaide - can't remember the name, starts with P.

Sunlover, one thing I love above the older suburbs are the big trees. I am a big fan of Prospect for that very reason. Unfortunately it seems these days the councils are taking out the older trees and putting in a lot of smaller weedier ones.

MrMover, it gives me a heachache thinking of all that driving.

Mash, Welshpoms, thanks for reminding me what I miss the most about Adelaide. My sister in Adelaide was tellng me today that her daffodils are just starting to flower as are lots of her other bulbs.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vicky88

Nara, I love North Adelaide. Do you ever go to the Elephant Walk for coffee and cake? I love their brandy snaps. Also Najjars have great cakes. I always go to the Italian pasta place on O'Connell Street when I am in Adelaide - can't remember the name, starts with P.
I love North Adelaide too. I was worried that we were going to have to move when our lease ran out, then we had the fortune to be able to buy the place.

Elephant Walk is only a few doors away from us, but luckily I've had the willpower to go there only once a year! (It helps that I somehow managed to quit coffee, and prefer savoury food to sweet).

I think the pasta place your thinking of is Paesano....boy I'll never order a main sized Spirali alla Salmone from there again, it was huge! ... but sooo gooood <drooling like Homer Simpson>

N
Old Aug 27th 2003, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's it, Cafe Paesano, good food but a bit noisy. I normally order their starter size pasta for the mains and that does me fine, though I will admit that I just about lick the plate to make sure I get it all.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by welshpom

They're indigenous to South Africa and are known as Namaqualand Daisies. I think the botanical name is "Gazania."
They grow wild all over Cape Town and surrounding areas.