Wikiposts

Why Adelaide ?

Old Aug 21st 2003, 6:17 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Sunlover
shall we meet at City Cross (which I clearly remember you labelling as skungy) and have it out ??
Maybe I'll try Brixton or The Bronx instead, they seem friendlier!
Old Aug 21st 2003, 8:22 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by r.bartlett
i think mash may have got a bit upset coz you criticised the northern areas -which i believe is the area she loves and has made home..
and she was only really picking up on the possible spelling mistake skungy instead of skunky to highlight that..

however i don't feel she's actually 'having a pop' at you at all when she say's 'decide/decide etc'

i feel that she's just being general and saying that we should ALL stay awhile and look around before making sweeping statements

however i'm only standing up for her coz she fancies me rotten...;-)

cheers

richard
thanks for being the voice of normality,i was brought up in the northern suburbs , and i probably took offence, as my parents still live in the area, the saying i was using is an old aboribginal saying that ,before you can ,call your self a WOMBAT, you have spend time in his hole, just been altered to suit western ideas,so Sun lover ,you still hav,nt defined ,skungy give us a UK example of what you considered skungy, were you came from MM
Old Aug 21st 2003, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been reading this post with great interest. I have lived in Happy Valley (down south) for 14 years and really like the area, but as many posters have said, it is down to personal preference .. what suits one person may not suit another. I like Glenlelg, Brighton, in fact all the beachside suburbs, and also find the posh Eastern suburbs really attractive. However, like Mash, I like to live in the hills rather than 'on the flat'. Mash has found her hill in the north of the city and I've found mine in the South (yes, I know the name implies I live in a valley but you have to have hills to have a valley!).

BTW scungy is a ridgydidge Aussie saying, heh heh, means skanky. Shame that some of the older Northern suburbs have attracted this reputation, they are still a lot better than some places I've visited in the UK. And south of Adelaide has its scungy suburbs too!

adelaidegirl
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:41 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

From Macquarie:

scungy
adjective mean, dirty, miserable, unpleasant. Also, skungy.

Thought Mr Mover would have heard of that.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Bog off....I was trying to help my friends back in the UK, don't worry I'm out of here, forums gone downhill anyway.

and richard, I know it's Yvsie you fancy really

Skungy (adj) : Scummy, Slummy, Scuzzy, Low Rent, Not nice.

Mmmmmmm seems a bit rich YOU telling ME to take my time to look around. I have lived here for almost a year and have looked around extensively at almost every area. I have also spoken to many people who live in various areas to get their take on what it's like living there. (Hence my knowledge about crime and high school drop out rates in those areas).

You, meanwhile have lived here a grand total of 7 weeks, yet have already formed an opinion about everything and are telling people to "Name an Area and I will give you a Profile".

Last edited by mashiraz; Aug 21st 2003 at 4:46 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Look Mash, MM et al offended by references to Northern skunginess.

I am truly penitent. It was sweeping and snobbish of me.

Old Aug 23rd 2003, 8:31 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
From Macquarie:

scungy
adjective mean, dirty, miserable, unpleasant. Also, skungy.

Thought Mr Mover would have heard of that.
No i hav,nt seen your place........... MM
Old Aug 24th 2003, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

'pology accepted, Friday was a bad day....Saturday worse

And I honestly hadn't heard the word scungy....

:0
Mash..
Look Mash, MM et al offended by references to Northern skunginess.

I am truly penitent. It was sweeping and snobbish of me.

Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:56 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Read this thread with interest as we are in adelaide from the 7th to 19th getting the feel of the area ready for next year. So as it goes so far from this page north, coast, and south not recommended and the east is to trendy. That has reduced the areas to look at !

But that is fine we had thought about Belair curving down to possibly happy valley however some intersting properties are coming up in birdwood. We live in a rural location here so want rural when we move out.

Any suggestions Mash and Mr Mover.

Suggestions from others welcome to

Sarah
Old Aug 25th 2003, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why Adelaide ?

Many of you seem to be heading for our fair city.

While I am fond of the place I would suggest that it's probably one of the more difficult places in Australia to get employment, particularly in you are a professional (pseudo or real).

We came here because I had a job waiting. But it took my partner 8 months to get one at his level and in his field.

Meanwhile he had been offered numerous jobs in other States, which seems to indicate that there are more jobs for professionals in other States (yet another sweeping statement).
Well, it looks like we've lost PB but gained MM, ah well, as long as I stick to having a quick peek every month or so I won't get too irritated at the levels that some trolls will drop to.

On the subject of the thread......

I moved to Adelaide because I fell in love with an Adelaidian.

I've been here nearly 3 years now, and still love it.

I would admit that it does seem to be harder to get jobs here, although I've always found it pretty easy (I'm a secretary, and I've usually got my foot in the door by temping there first).

Ah, just got a phone call have to go. Might come back to this later.

Nara
Old Aug 25th 2003, 9:48 pm
Banned

Originally posted by kentcoast
Read this thread with interest as we are in adelaide from the 7th to 19th getting the feel of the area ready for next year. So as it goes so far from this page north, coast, and south not recommended and the east is to trendy. That has reduced the areas to look at !

But that is fine we had thought about Belair curving down to possibly happy valley however some intersting properties are coming up in birdwood. We live in a rural location here so want rural when we move out.

Sarah
Birdwood is good ,but getting pricey due to the lack of land for developement, the area now seems to be MT BARKER,NAIRNE, lots of rural blocks at reasonable prices.....lots of development....
MM
Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:04 pm
Banned

Default Re: Why Adelaide ?

Originally posted by Nara
Well, it looks like we've lost PB but gained MM, ah well, as long as I stick to having a quick peek every month or so I won't get too irritated at the levels that some trolls will drop to.

On the subject of the thread......

I moved to Adelaide because I fell in love with an Adelaidian.

I've been here nearly 3 years now, and still love it.

I would admit that it does seem to be harder to get jobs here, although I've always found it pretty easy (I'm a secretary, and I've usually got my foot in the door by temping there first).

Ah, just got a phone call have to go. Might come back to this later.

Nara
Well nara ,i hope your a better secretary than you are a judge of human nature, many here may think i,m a troll , but every one that dose ,judging by the amount of PM.s i answer every day on dealing with removal problems , from people on this forum, and go,mat forum, and ask the moveologist {usa} i guess many dont ,agree with you, i only get P***sed off when i read people knocking things they hav,nt tried, perth may be the arse end of the planet to some people , but Adelaide is HEAVEN on earth to me, and has been for 41 years......and i hope you enjoy it here and tell people more about its attributes, than starting a BLUE with me..... MM
Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Really haven't explored up there but like the sound of crafers and crafers west from looking at property. I thought it quite reasonable price too for good size blocks. Most of the houses seem to be perched on 45degree angle hillsides though and at risk of fire, but then again where isn't in rural areas!

If we get a nice weekend soon, we'll take a trip out there.
Mash
Originally posted by kentcoast

Sarah
Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Think Mount Barker is a good area to be in as with the new freeway into the city think it is now a reasonable trip. I have friends who live at Woodside and they love it. Plenty of acreage around that area. If you are scared of snakes, think twice about country living because you will encounter them in the AH.

I believe you have to take all suggestions in context of people's preferences. I was the one that said Norwood was too trendy, however I did qualify that atmosphere was not what I was after. For the right person the area would be wonderful. Lots of restaurants and cafe life. I never suggested that no-one should even consider the area. I'm just at a different stage of my life where I have requirements which can not be met by that area.

I don't think that anyone should get upset because someone comments on a particular area as being unsuitable. All everyone has to remember is they are only opinions, not facts, and as long as you are happy with your choice there is no need to justify that choice to anyone.

Just want to add that MrMover has always been extremely helpful to people on this site. Think his comment was in reaction to a negative comment made about an area close to his heart.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I'll start again...

Firstly: I'll apologise to MrMover for judging you only upon the posts I read in this thread. I haven't been to the forum for a couple of months and hadn't read any other posts of yours.

Secondly: to answer the initial question I'll paste what I've just posted in a thread asking if anyone is happy with their move to Australia.

I've been here nearly 3 years now. I fell in love with my Adelaidian boyfriend over in London, spent a year here on a WHV and then got a de facto spouse visa. I'm just in the process of getting everything together for my 2 year re-assessment (so much easier the second time around).

I love Adelaide. I'm 24, and earlier this year bought a flat with my boyfriend, the next month we got a dog. With the work I'm doing and the funds we'd saved this would not have been possible in London, and if we'd done it in Nottingham, or similar, we would never have got such a nice place for the equivalent price.

I love the attitude here, it suits me well. I'm sure if I was a bit more ambitious I might be better suited to Melbourne or Sydney.

The weather's great. We get four seasons in Adelaide, with spring and autumn being my favourites - Summer is mostly lovely, but when you get 10 days in a row when it's over 35c it can get a bit too much (especially 3 days in a row over 40c!).

The winter weather is slowly abating - 16c here today, so that means the barbeques will start happening again. We can resume sitting on our balconies in the evening. Al fresco eating and drinking in the city is so pleasant.

I miss my family and friends, but I'm happy knowing that we get on well and speak often, I've been home once, and they're coming over here in stages.

I won't go on about the downside to living here, but can tell you that the upside makes my stay and love it!

Nara

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.