Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's going to Perth???

Who's going to Perth???

Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:37 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's going to Perth???

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
I leave for Singapore on Sunday 2nd October (Just checked in online tonight as it happens, and now filling in all my tax closing down forms - what a joy) and then onto Perth on 7th October. I am renting a place in Rockingham for 3 weeks then in Scarborough beach for another 3 weeks. This will give us enough time to scoot around to all the suburbs and decide where to settle. When we decide that, we'll either rent for 6 months or buy a place.
Best of luck with your move
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:00 pm
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Best of luck with your move
Thanks. Really looking forward to it. Not looking forward to the flight though. I may be hitting the nightnurse for that one I reckon. Someone recommended taking a dose and I tried it returning from the States once and it is the first time I have ever slept on an aircraft. When I checked in earlier I noticed that the seat next to me is still free. I just hope it stays that way.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Xgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond repute

We're also off to Perth hopefully by Easter next year, still undecided which part, it's between Hillarys and Iluka - NOR, SOR - Settlers Hills or maybe Mandurah area.

I can definitely cross off Maddington off my list... no offence to anyone that lives there..I personally wouldn't fancy it there.

Jude xx
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:28 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Xgeminix
We're also off to Perth hopefully by Easter next year, still undecided which part, it's between Hillarys and Iluka - NOR, SOR - Settlers Hills or maybe Mandurah area.

I can definitely cross off Maddington off my list... no offence to anyone that lives there..I personally wouldn't fancy it there.

Jude xx
Yep aggree about maddington/gosnells.etc sort of area...we were looking to buy there before we got here as it looked a bit nearer to the city as regards work travelling and cheaper...but we arrived a week ago and went to some open homes last weekend and hated the area...So rethink time and started looking at Rockingham and surrounding areas. Some parts are nice here and some not so good...Parmelia Orelia got knocked on the head straight away...although houses are cheaper in those areas but again you can see why as not so desirable areas. Rockingham Cooloongup,Waikiki,warnbro,port kennedy seem ok...We bought a house in Warnbro yesterday....Its been a right old game thou I have to say and you have to be megga quick to get what you want...no going away and thinking about it...if you want a property say so there and then or it will be gone tomorrow....I am asstounded by how the prices have rocketed in the last 2 years as well...even in the last 4 or 5 months the average house has gone up by $20,000 or so, Originally we were going to land and take our time to look around etc,but have certainly felt under pressure to buy quick before they go up again...The estate agent recons that our new house by christmas will prob have gone up by another 10 - 20 thousand dollars...scarey stuff. we have downsized a little on what we originally planned to buy as well. As I didnt want to sink all our money into buying the house. But I have to say we have ended up with a much bigger and better house than I could have dreamt of owning at home with a 3 x 2 with a pool...The only thing is that the garden is perhaps a nats smaller than I envisaged,wich really isnt a major drama...best of luck to those coming over to buy. My advise is get in quick and get on the agents lists before they go out to being generally advertised. Our house had been on market 2 days...! Shame it couldnt have been like that back in UK when selling eh
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
I leave for Singapore on Sunday 2nd October (Just checked in online tonight as it happens, and now filling in all my tax closing down forms - what a joy) and then onto Perth on 7th October. I am renting a place in Rockingham for 3 weeks then in Scarborough beach for another 3 weeks. This will give us enough time to scoot around to all the suburbs and decide where to settle. When we decide that, we'll either rent for 6 months or buy a place.
Hello neil,

Glad to see you,ve organised your flights.I,ve sorted ours out aswell,we fly out on the 9th oct.We are staying in Warnbro for 3 weeks.In that time i hope we,ve got a rental sorted in Secret harbour.

dave
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Well now that my visa is granted I'll be arriving in Perth on the 23rd November.

I am due back in the UK for a short period of time early Jan, depending on how things pan out I may not bother!! - long story!!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Were going to Perth, we have just received our med & PC requests so hopefully would like to be there in Jan or Feb 06. But it all depends if we sell our house ! ( which isn't looking likely at the moment )
Anyway most of my husbands family have emigrated over the last few years and are in the Ocean reef area NOR , its lovely there but out of our price range, so we will be looking at Clarkson or Quinn's rocks. Have heard some people say the schools aren't very good in Quinn's rocks, but if anyone has some good info about them i would love to hear from them !! as Ive really set my heart on living there !!!

Thanks

Nicky
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

ozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really nice

Hi all

We are hoping to be in Perth probably June/July next year-our visa app.was sent off beginning August so hopefully will get word re medicals and police checks by beginning of next year.
Was in Perth 2 years ago on holiday and I must say prices have rocketed since then We were visiting friends in Landsdale NOR (very nice-up and coming area apparently) would'nt mind living around there but will have to wait and see where my partner Paul gets a job so plan to rent until then
SOR was very nice too so I would be fine with either Seems to be quite a lot of people going to Perth,personally I loved it.

Marlyn
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 4:05 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hello neil,

Glad to see you,ve organised your flights.I,ve sorted ours out aswell,we fly out on the 9th oct.We are staying in Warnbro for 3 weeks.In that time i hope we,ve got a rental sorted in Secret harbour.

dave
Hi Dave,

Was only wondering earlier when you were coming over - have a safe journey on 9th.

We're in Fremantle now, and have been for just over 2 weeks. We've been looking at houses in SH. Saw three last week, and applied for one - got knocked back on that because of our dog.

We're viewing two more in SH tomorrow and one in Port Kennedy - really hope they work out as our pooch is due to be *released* from quarantine on Wednesday!

There isn't a huge amount of property for rental in SH at the moment, but at least if you don't have pets to house, it should be easier for you to find something. And the situation can change very quickly too.

Keep in touch - let us know how you get on?
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

We arrived Perth 15th Aug and started looking for a SOR home straight away, having visited four times previously.
We house sat in Bicton for the first 6 weeks and we have bought a place in Booragoon and will be moving in in the next 2 weeks. We like SOR with its proximity to Freo, beaches, and its character. It takes us 15 mins to Perth Center, 10 mins to Freo, 15 mins to the beaches and is close to the freeway and future rail link. Walking distance to Garden City, Wireless Hill and the river.
What more could we want?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Hi Dave,

Was only wondering earlier when you were coming over - have a safe journey on 9th.

We're in Fremantle now, and have been for just over 2 weeks. We've been looking at houses in SH. Saw three last week, and applied for one - got knocked back on that because of our dog.

We're viewing two more in SH tomorrow and one in Port Kennedy - really hope they work out as our pooch is due to be *released* from quarantine on Wednesday!

There isn't a huge amount of property for rental in SH at the moment, but at least if you don't have pets to house, it should be easier for you to find something. And the situation can change very quickly too.

Keep in touch - let us know how you get on?

Hello Sue,

Good luck on getting the rental sorted before Wednesday.SH seems to be pretty popular at the mo.I,m not suprised when you say there is,t alot of availabe properties to rent.What sort of prices are you looking at for an average 4 x 2?

dave
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hello Sue,

Good luck on getting the rental sorted before Wednesday.SH seems to be pretty popular at the mo.I,m not suprised when you say there is,t alot of availabe properties to rent.What sort of prices are you looking at for an average 4 x 2?

dave
Thanks, Dave. We saw two out of three today and have actually applied for one of them. Very, very nice house in the older part of SH, very large, very solid. Marvellous tiled floors, very high ceilings - should be easy to keep cool in summer. This is an established property as opposed to the newer end of SH, which is still pretty much under construction and, imo, the houses are not up to the standard of the older ones nearer the beach. We viewed another in the *under development* area - good size, good enough quality, but didn't float our boat. Absolutely no character. Didn't help that it was absolutely full of sand!

So we wait to see if we're successful on the one we've applied for today - we should find out tomorrow morning, but we aren't going to be able to move in time to prevent our pets having to go to another kennel for a few days. If we get the house, the carpets still have to be cleaned and the remnants of the present tenant's things still have to be removed. I would imagine the weekend would be the earliest we could move in, so they'll have a further three or four days boarding yet. Grim for them, expensive for us, but there's nothing we can do about it. At least we have a recommendation for a good kennel.

I would say from what I've seen these past couple of weeks that the rent for an average 4 x 2 property in SH is slightly higher than say, Port Kennedy. We've seen four in SH - cheapest was $240 pw, and the most expensive was $270. I reckon $250 is the average price. Golden Bay seems to attract similar sorts of rental rate, as does the southern end of Port Kennedy. Further north seems a little lower.

The agent who showed one of the houses today did actually comment that there is a chronic shortage of rental properties at the moment - wasn't sure if she meant SH or generally. I do hope you are lucky finding one to suit you - there are a few around, but mostly not available soon enough for us.

Good luck!

Sue
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:11 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Thanks, Dave. We saw two out of three today and have actually applied for one of them. Very, very nice house in the older part of SH, very large, very solid. Marvellous tiled floors, very high ceilings - should be easy to keep cool in summer. This is an established property as opposed to the newer end of SH, which is still pretty much under construction and, imo, the houses are not up to the standard of the older ones nearer the beach. We viewed another in the *under development* area - good size, good enough quality, but didn't float our boat. Absolutely no character. Didn't help that it was absolutely full of sand!

So we wait to see if we're successful on the one we've applied for today - we should find out tomorrow morning, but we aren't going to be able to move in time to prevent our pets having to go to another kennel for a few days. If we get the house, the carpets still have to be cleaned and the remnants of the present tenant's things still have to be removed. I would imagine the weekend would be the earliest we could move in, so they'll have a further three or four days boarding yet. Grim for them, expensive for us, but there's nothing we can do about it. At least we have a recommendation for a good kennel.

I would say from what I've seen these past couple of weeks that the rent for an average 4 x 2 property in SH is slightly higher than say, Port Kennedy. We've seen four in SH - cheapest was $240 pw, and the most expensive was $270. I reckon $250 is the average price. Golden Bay seems to attract similar sorts of rental rate, as does the southern end of Port Kennedy. Further north seems a little lower.

The agent who showed one of the houses today did actually comment that there is a chronic shortage of rental properties at the moment - wasn't sure if she meant SH or generally. I do hope you are lucky finding one to suit you - there are a few around, but mostly not available soon enough for us.

Good luck!

Sue
Is SH secret Harbour?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Is SH secret Harbour?
Sorry, yes. Note to self - must stop abbreviating - bad habit!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:53 pm
Parent Contr.143

lened is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to Perth in two weeks . My daughter and her family are there. I'm going to live in the hills in Glen Forrest a lovely village and not far from the beaches and Perth. I love walking so the walking trails and the National Park is a real bonus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.